U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM

35 posts, read 83,122 times

Advertisements

I know the area has been dealing with flooding in recent years, but what areas are generally affected by this? What roads/areas get shut down when the river breaks the banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM

107 posts, read 166,450 times
I am also interested in this question. Any certain areas to avoid when renting?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM

13 posts, read 29,822 times
Fargo is creating many of its own flooding problems because they are building in a flood plain south of I-94 and pushing river levels dangerously higher.

Depending on the river level, many bridges between MN and ND get closed.

I-94, Main Ave and NP - 1st Ave north generally remain in operation, but traffic gets congested on the only remaining bridges.

It would have been easier to share the link to the City of Fargo website detailing road closures, so I apologize in advance if the following information doesn't make sense.

River Level - Street Affected/Closed/Restricted

18', Elm St 14th to 15th Ave N D
24', North Broadway North of 37th Ave
25', 9th Ave/N River Rd Mickelson Field
28', 12th Ave N Red River Bridge
30', County Road 20 10th St - Broadway
30', 2nd St N 1st - 5th Ave
31', 2nd St S Main Ave - 4th St
33', Lower Terrace At Elm St
34', Oak St 8th - 11th Ave N
34', 1st Ave N Red River Bridge
35', South Terrace 125 South Terrace
36', 15th Ave N At Elm St
36', 14th Ave N Oak - Elm St
37', Lindenwood Dr 3rd - 4th St
37', S University Dr 40th - El Cano Dr
39', 48th/49th Ave S South Acres
Overland Flooding, 52nd Ave S Drain 53

The highest areas and most protected areas are located in West Fargo, ND or Moorhead, MN. The further you are from the Red River or county drains, the better.

Seriously! Check the elevation of properties you are considering before you buy.

If you are intending on purchasing a home, there are potential property assessments of $5,000 - $40,000 to fund flood protection.

Last edited by Tricia Pederson; 08-06-2012 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: spelling, at least the errors I caught

Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times
I work at NWS Grand Forks and was around for the 09-11 floods along the Red River. Fargo fought those floods along with the 97 flood sucessfully through levee construction, etc and using volunteers to build up sand bag levees. So far they have protected the city, so that in the city flooding hasnt been an issue. The city has gotten flood protection down to an art. So I would necessarily be worried about buying anywhere in Fargo. Most of the city is protected nowadays up to that 38-39 ft range with little extra effort. Now the 09-11 floods were a bit higher and required extra work. The possible diversion planned would pass the higher water around Fargo and allow for downstream storage. It is quite controversial and spendy and may never be completed, who knows. But personally watching the situation from a weather-hydrology perspective I wouldnt worry about living in Fargo and flooding. To have less fear I probably wouldnt leave east of University.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM

13 posts, read 29,822 times
DaninEGF,

I agree with most of your reply but I disagree with buying anywhere in Fargo.

Here is why. Fargo is developing flood plain and forcing that water elsewhere. Fargo is holding back water almost three feet higher than in 1997. Which makes water higher inside the river and dikes and creates new risks to neighborhoods that were previously fine.

Fargo is very susceptible to summer flooding from heavy rains. The most expensive and damaging floods have been summer floods in Fargo.

Fargo lost the Fargo Dome twice because 19th ave north was turned into a lake.

Living here and seeing how fast the rain water comes makes many areas in Fargo risky to live in.

Grand Forks was smarter. They needed flood protection and they moved people away from the river to accomplish that goal. Fargo is moving people from one risk area to another while they create a greater risk to the entire city.

Many areas in Moorhead are three to five feet higher than the highest areas of Fargo.

I agree, east of University could be a problem.

It's also confusing that FEMA and the Corps have different flood levels. If the Corps raises the flood plain by three feet, wouldn't that affect towns downstream like Halstad and Grand Forks?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,647 times
Actually, any lots along the Red where the City/FEMA has bought out property now have levees certified to a river level of 42.5--a foot & a half above the record level of 2009.

The last damaging summer flood was in 2000. The Prairiewood area and NDSU were heavily affected. Now, there is a 6 ft diameter storm sewer draining the lower area around Prairiewood, running under 17th Ave S., all the way to the river. 12th Ave N has also been completely rebuilt to accommodate greater storm run-off.

The fight is with property owners/developers who wish to develop riverfront property, rather than giving the river the space it needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo