U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 AM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
231 posts, read 772,899 times
Reputation: 224

Advertisements

You might not like the weather, however, North Dakota has less naked man face-eaters than Florida.

I have met a few people in Fargo who have moved here from Florida. I have never heard any of them say they were in a hurry to get back to Florida, even in spite of the weather. Just plan a vacation about February each year and you should be fine. Invest in an automatic car starter once you get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 AM
 
6 posts, read 34,865 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emking8 View Post
Hi! I will be getting married this summer and will be moving to Fargo/Moorhead area at the end of July from Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida. My fiance is originally from Glyndon so we have decided to move back. I was wondering if anyone has made a similar move and what the estimated costs were? We are finding that since this area is considered to be "remote" that to move a few pieces of furniture ( small hutch and table, king mattress and box spring, and a small cabinet) and then clothing is costing around $2500. We will be selling almost all of our furniture and random items that we currently have because it is outrageously expensive to move everything.

Also, I have lived in Florida my entire life, I have visited Boston,MA many times in the fall and early winter and went skiing in Teluride, CO in January - but there was a "heat wave" and in a light ski jacket and pants it was uncomfortably warm. So out of the past 24 years of my life I have experienced cold weather for maybe 5 weeks total. Are the winters really as rough as the movies and everyone that finds out where I'm moving to make it out to be?
I moved to Nebraska for work from Florida & the climate in Fargo is colder than here. I will tell you you have never experienced cold like you are going to in Fargo! I wouldn't move!!! It is cold from Sept til around May. When I say that I mean you need to wear jeans and north face jacket sometimes til late May and it gets extremely windy because there are no mountains to block the cold. For me it is very depressing because winter is so long. We are actually giving up good jobs and planning a move back to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 AM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,103,686 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyseven7 View Post
I moved to Nebraska for work from Florida & the climate in Fargo is colder than here. I will tell you you have never experienced cold like you are going to in Fargo! I wouldn't move!!! It is cold from Sept til around May. When I say that I mean you need to wear jeans and north face jacket sometimes til late May and it gets extremely windy because there are no mountains to block the cold. For me it is very depressing because winter is so long. We are actually giving up good jobs and planning a move back to Florida.
We have a family from the Lincoln area who have been in the Grand Forks for 5+ years, and yes certainly colder than down there but also not as hot.

But being in the weather business....I dont want to scare the person as it isnt cold in Sept.....September is one of our most pleasant months with 70s common in the afternoon. But I guess it all depends on what is cold. I do hope the OP would understand that 30 degrees is not really cold....if that is the OP definition of cold then yes the adjustment will be hard. But 30 is jacket weather, but nothing serious. Most do adjust quite well. I know a family from the Ft Myers area who live in the area now....also some folks from Portland Oregon and a couple who lived next door from Miami and Columbia. They had never seen snow before, but that first winter they were out enjoying shoveling....so yes it can be done But yes there are those that cannot hack it. We had one employee come to where I work and we had a freak blizzard in before Halloween. He was from Columbia, SC. He quit the next day, even though having a big storm that early is quite rare.

Come on up and see....I think you'll like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,360,170 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
We have a family from the Lincoln area who have been in the Grand Forks for 5+ years, and yes certainly colder than down there but also not as hot.

But being in the weather business....I dont want to scare the person as it isnt cold in Sept.....September is one of our most pleasant months with 70s common in the afternoon. But I guess it all depends on what is cold. I do hope the OP would understand that 30 degrees is not really cold....if that is the OP definition of cold then yes the adjustment will be hard. But 30 is jacket weather, but nothing serious. Most do adjust quite well. I know a family from the Ft Myers area who live in the area now....also some folks from Portland Oregon and a couple who lived next door from Miami and Columbia. They had never seen snow before, but that first winter they were out enjoying shoveling....so yes it can be done But yes there are those that cannot hack it. We had one employee come to where I work and we had a freak blizzard in before Halloween. He was from Columbia, SC. He quit the next day, even though having a big storm that early is quite rare.

Come on up and see....I think you'll like it.
I can agree with 30 not being cold. I consider it chilly if I'm in it long enough. But there again I'm from SW MO. I think what part of the country your from really matters too. I was from NE Oregon and the summers in MO just about kill me but I've been here 23 years so AC and me are best buddies. The dry heat in NE Oregon made summer feels milder compared to here. The winters here do seem colder too.

We are looking into moving to the Fargo area....not a big fan of the wind (causes higher wind chill) but we'll be ok. Found a great online catalog to get winter gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,103,686 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I can agree with 30 not being cold. I consider it chilly if I'm in it long enough. But there again I'm from SW MO. I think what part of the country your from really matters too. I was from NE Oregon and the summers in MO just about kill me but I've been here 23 years so AC and me are best buddies. The dry heat in NE Oregon made summer feels milder compared to here. The winters here do seem colder too.

We are looking into moving to the Fargo area....not a big fan of the wind (causes higher wind chill) but we'll be ok. Found a great online catalog to get winter gear.
Hi there...

I worked at NWS Springfield MO in the mid 90s before moving up here in 1998. I know Joplin can get windy as well.....so might not be that huge of a change on that end. Definitely heat wise....I recall Joplin like Tulsa can get into the low 100s on occasion with very high dew point values....and the summers can be brutal. While we can get a few days of quite brutal conditions up here...it is nothing like down there. Our winters tend to have a more dry cold...which often doesnt cut you like a wet cold does. That said our winters are significantly colder than down there of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,360,170 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi there...

I worked at NWS Springfield MO in the mid 90s before moving up here in 1998. I know Joplin can get windy as well.....so might not be that huge of a change on that end. Definitely heat wise....I recall Joplin like Tulsa can get into the low 100s on occasion with very high dew point values....and the summers can be brutal. While we can get a few days of quite brutal conditions up here...it is nothing like down there. Our winters tend to have a more dry cold...which often doesnt cut you like a wet cold does. That said our winters are significantly colder than down there of course
So how do you like ND? I have some friends in Lisbon...so I feel good about knowing someone already. I had to move over the stateline into Baxter Springs, KS after the tornado...talk about windy, not much to break the wind in these parts. I do enjoy the snow...not a fan of the ice but I'm more concerned about the other drivers than my own driving abilities.

I'm glad to know that you came from this area and could share the comparison about the weather. It sounds like I'm on track as far as dry versus wet. It really does make a difference on how cold and hot feel. I have noticed there is tornadoes every so often. Are they pretty mild? Is the warning system good? I don't have to tell you what I have experienced this past year in Joplin. It was so strong...that no place seemed safe enough to get out of it.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,103,686 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
So how do you like ND? I have some friends in Lisbon...so I feel good about knowing someone already. I had to move over the stateline into Baxter Springs, KS after the tornado...talk about windy, not much to break the wind in these parts. I do enjoy the snow...not a fan of the ice but I'm more concerned about the other drivers than my own driving abilities.

I'm glad to know that you came from this area and could share the comparison about the weather. It sounds like I'm on track as far as dry versus wet. It really does make a difference on how cold and hot feel. I have noticed there is tornadoes every so often. Are they pretty mild? Is the warning system good? I don't have to tell you what I have experienced this past year in Joplin. It was so strong...that no place seemed safe enough to get out of it.

Thanks for your input!
Hi there

I was born and raised in western Kentucky.... so same general climate overall.... but I am one of those folks who always liked the cold versus the heat. Especially the heat and humidity part...yuck. And in the weather business I knew where I wanted to end up in my career and that was north. So yes for me it was an easy adjustment. And knowing many folks from all over the country who have at some point worked at my office and then moved on....the overriding theme is that it isnt as bad as most make it out to be. Yes....some winters (NOT all) but some do have some bad cold stretches...a week long stretch of -25 to -35F at night at below zero in the day....but not all years. Most years have moderate cold more like 10 to 20 in the day. So yes colder than your used to, but I dont think unbearable. Now...I dont work outside.....if I had to do that then all bets are off. But in real cold weather....like in really hot weather....you dont spend too much time outside....get in your car (garage preferred) then drive and rush into work or a store then back to the warm car and drive home. Many folks here do have an automatic starter....which you can turn on your car from a distance and let it warm up or cool down, before you go in. Also if parked outside....auto starters are nice as you can let it run to melt the frost/ice off in the mornings.

One thing about our winters....is that freezing rain/sleet is not too common as often our airmass is too cold and more dry snow... There have been some bad ice events....but nothing like the ones you can have in the Ozarks.

For most it is the length of the winter....similar to most who live in a hot climate who experience a long summer. In many years you can expect the first sustainable snow cover between Veterans Day and Thanksgiving then it will pile up through mid March before big time melting begins. We dont get a lot of snow in inches....but it just doesnt melt much Dec-Feb. Some years like last winter it did....but many winters it doesnt.

In terms of severe weather....we have an active storm season....mostly Jun 1 to about Aug 30. Tornadoes are rare, but can occur...not quite as frequent as your area. Fargo and the larger cities have Tornado sires and the local TV stations do a good job at passing on info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,719 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Most people in the country, especially someone from Florida, would consider MPLS to be extremely cold. I was pointing out that Fargo is worse. I think we hit -20 here about half the winters and -10 almost all winters.

The biggest problem with fargo for me would be the wind. The last thing you want to deal with when the temp is below zero is wind. That's when it is really nasty.
True, Fargo's average high in the winter is lower than Minneapolis but it's a pretty negligible difference. It is so funny when people in places such as Minneapolis, or Sioux Falls act like their weather is so much better than hear. When it's -20 hear and -15 there, does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Joplin, Missouri
635 posts, read 1,360,170 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonwest View Post
True, Fargo's average high in the winter is lower than Minneapolis but it's a pretty negligible difference. It is so funny when people in places such as Minneapolis, or Sioux Falls act like their weather is so much better than hear. When it's -20 hear and -15 there, does it really matter?
I believe your nose hairs freeze at both those temps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 PM
 
8 posts, read 19,887 times
Reputation: 10
Fargo makes me think of all the films that were filmed there, and how they froze to death haha...

I live in Utah, and I've heard their winters are worse then here...Cold does not make you depressed for those who said it did LOL... You have to decide if that is what you want, and if it will make you happy... Snow also equals snow plowing jobs in the winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top