U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,078 times

Advertisements

Hi! I will be getting married this summer and will be moving to Fargo/Moorhead area at the end of July from Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida. My fiance is originally from Glyndon so we have decided to move back. I was wondering if anyone has made a similar move and what the estimated costs were? We are finding that since this area is considered to be "remote" that to move a few pieces of furniture ( small hutch and table, king mattress and box spring, and a small cabinet) and then clothing is costing around $2500. We will be selling almost all of our furniture and random items that we currently have because it is outrageously expensive to move everything.

Also, I have lived in Florida my entire life, I have visited Boston,MA many times in the fall and early winter and went skiing in Teluride, CO in January - but there was a "heat wave" and in a light ski jacket and pants it was uncomfortably warm. So out of the past 24 years of my life I have experienced cold weather for maybe 5 weeks total. Are the winters really as rough as the movies and everyone that finds out where I'm moving to make it out to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM

4,543 posts, read 11,547,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emking8 View Post
Hi! I will be getting married this summer and will be moving to Fargo/Moorhead area at the end of July from Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida. My fiance is originally from Glyndon so we have decided to move back. I was wondering if anyone has made a similar move and what the estimated costs were? We are finding that since this area is considered to be "remote" that to move a few pieces of furniture ( small hutch and table, king mattress and box spring, and a small cabinet) and then clothing is costing around $2500. We will be selling almost all of our furniture and random items that we currently have because it is outrageously expensive to move everything.

Also, I have lived in Florida my entire life, I have visited Boston,MA many times in the fall and early winter and went skiing in Teluride, CO in January - but there was a "heat wave" and in a light ski jacket and pants it was uncomfortably warm. So out of the past 24 years of my life I have experienced cold weather for maybe 5 weeks total. Are the winters really as rough as the movies and everyone that finds out where I'm moving to make it out to be?
I live in Minneapolis and I wouldn't want to move to Fargo because it is too cold if that tells you anything. It is colder than here and the wind there is nasty.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
CTC

661 posts, read 1,154,248 times
You will be in for a shock. We live in MT, but own a home in North Port, FL near Sarasota. I cannot think of two more different parts of the country than Sarasota and Fargo-Flip flops vs Sorels

You will be missing Sarasota and the beaches that's for sure!!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM

696 posts, read 1,083,800 times
I have always lived in warm/tropical weather (lived in South Florida 6 years myself, now live in Richmond, VA which is still warm compared to the North and mild winters), I made the mistake of moving to Boston in 2008 and the cold was too much not just physically but it was bringing me down mentally as well. You might seriously want to reconsider your moving plans, chances are you will hate the cold and be really unhappy and grumpy all the time. I have heard of numerous situations of couples fighting and breaking up/divorcing because of depressions caused by cold weather. Not at all trying to be negative just pointing out some very important factors you should take into account before making such a drastic move! Best wishes either way!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emking8 View Post

Hi

I am a meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks and forecast for the Fargo area. Hard question to answer. I have known many folks moving here from other areas of the country, and you get many different answers. It is so highly dependent on the person.

I grew up in Kentucky and am a cold weather person my nature. I have way more cold weather tolerant than warm weather tolerant.

I know folks who moved here one year ago from Portland Oregon, and know someone who moved here from Ft Myers area and we had a neighbor who was from Miami and her husband was from Columbia. And all 3 said it wasnt as bad as they thought. Does that mean it will not be an adjustment, of course not. You are moving in a good time of the year and have time to adjust to our fall into winter....so the shock will be less. It isnt like you are moving from Miami to Fargo in January....those would be two extremes.

Last winter was the warmest on record (Dec, Jan, Feb period). There was really only one stretch in January where we had several nights of -25F low temps..... and many days saw high temps in the 20s last winter which is quite mild.

But in general you can expect snowfall from mid November to mid March....always think of Veterans Day as the start of winter in most years....though some years I have seen Thanksgiving in the 40s and 50s. Winter ends in the mid to late March overall.... continuous snow cover exists from Dec 1 to March 15 most every season....sometimes the snow cover can start early Nov sometimes it can wait until early April to melt completely.

Yes there can be some cold periods.... and in most years you can expect to have a few days where the high temperature is below zero and some overnight lows -30 or so. Fairly common temps in DJF period are highs 10 to 15 or 5 to 15 and lows 10 to 25 below. Getting above 32F between Christmas and Valentines Day is rare but does occur once or twice in most seasons.

Snowfall isnt that heavy in most winters....but with the colder temps it stays around. Wind and wind chills are a big issue and will likely be the biggest issue you will face. The area is open and flat and winds are common most every season... Winds picking up the snow on the ground can cause white out conditions a few times each winter season....more prone in open country away from the city. If you are living and working in the city of Fargo then your experience with white out conditions will be way less than if you choose to live in the smaller towns nearby and have to drive to the city each morning.

I wouldnt use Minneapolis as a guide as they are quite warmer than us (about 10-15 deg in some occassions) in the winter. I dont consider Minneapolis having much of a winter...certainly not Chicago as they can warm up a lot.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I live in Minneapolis and I wouldn't want to move to Fargo because it is too cold if that tells you anything. It is colder than here and the wind there is nasty.
Yes Fargo is colder than Minneapolis but I would consider MSP all that cold. -20F there is quite rare in the winter.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Here is a picture of my neighborhood in East Grand Forks MN.... similar weather to Fargo.

This was in Feb 2010...that year we had a bit more snow than average....but the scene is pretty typical in Jan-Feb...
Attached Thumbnails
Moving from Florida to Fargo/Moorhead in July-18851_107951635888628_100000213755870_205205_3365808_n.jpg  

Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,078 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
You will be in for a shock. We live in MT, but own a home in North Port, FL near Sarasota. I cannot think of two more different parts of the country than Sarasota and Fargo-Flip flops vs Sorels

You will be missing Sarasota and the beaches that's for sure!!
Sadly I have been getting rid of all my summer items, for my birthday which was May 8th every year my mom gets me a "summer starter kit" beach towels, sunscreen, iTunes gift card, a bathing suit and Flip Flops.... this year I received a big heavy coat and Sorel boots

Thank you everyone for all of the winter knowledge... looks like I am going to be for a rude awaking. Thank you DaninEGF for the picture and the detailed information too, it was very helpful by putting things into perspective for me.

ronyusa- thank you too, this is a very detailed conversation I have had with my fiance and we have come to an agreement that if after 2 full winters seasons I don't think I can make this permanent (as far as raising a family) then we can move. I have been told that the winters in this area are sunny compared to the ones in the northeast, so hopefully this stands to be true.

Our main reason for wanting to move to this area is safety, and the wholesomeness and values that somewhere along the line a majority of people in our area have seemed to forget about.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM

4,543 posts, read 11,547,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Yes Fargo is colder than Minneapolis but I would consider MSP all that cold. -20F there is quite rare in the winter.
Most people in the country, especially someone from Florida, would consider MPLS to be extremely cold. I was pointing out that Fargo is worse. I think we hit -20 here about half the winters and -10 almost all winters.

The biggest problem with fargo for me would be the wind. The last thing you want to deal with when the temp is below zero is wind. That's when it is really nasty.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Most people in the country, especially someone from Florida, would consider MPLS to be extremely cold. I was pointing out that Fargo is worse. I think we hit -20 here about half the winters and -10 almost all winters.

The biggest problem with fargo for me would be the wind. The last thing you want to deal with when the temp is below zero is wind. That's when it is really nasty.
You are indeed correct....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo