Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times

Advertisements

I think the big 4 will always be the big 4...even if West Fargo exceeds Minot. I think people will always consider West Fargo a part of Fargo. Just like Mandan will always be associated with Bismarck, etc...

As far as Williston becoming a big 4...I don't see that happening either. But, I don't think they are going to have a BIG bust this time around...they say the oil will stay active for another decade or 2 with the Bakken. IF they find there is more oil then they thought...that could be another story. Look what happened to Bakersfield, CA and Farmington, NM...they quadrupled in size with the oil & gas going on there this past decade. Same thing could happen to towns in western ND. Also, Williston is working on other industry to soften the blow when oil slows down. They have a Simplot potato plant, Oil Refinery, Ethanol plant, and coal fired power plant in the works...could be a couple years down the road, but they are working on them (according to the Williston Herald on Monday's on-line).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM

137 posts, read 424,458 times
1. Grand Forks
2. Fargo
3. Bismarck
4. Minot

I am biased since I lived in GF 5 years. Otherwise, Fargo would be number 1. I like where I live now much more than any city in North Dakota though But I still go back and visit friends in GF every couple years.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
1. Grand Forks
2. Fargo
3. Bismarck
4. Minot

I am biased since I lived in GF 5 years. Otherwise, Fargo would be number 1. I like where I live now much more than any city in North Dakota though But I still go back and visit friends in GF every couple years.
Hey! Great! Glad you found a home. Yup! North Dakota isn't for everyone. I've heard some grumblings that people from North Dakota are glad of that!
Last place on earth to live. The last outpost! Freezing flat land with nothing but miles and miles of nothing. Trust me, I hear that NoDakens' have mixed feelings about having too many people. Thats so funny, as we have more space than just about anyone in the country, per person. Weather can be harsh and very cold, there is not doubt about that, but there are some good things too. I felt just like you did a number of years ago. I lived in Minneapolis for 31 years and the past 12 in sunny California. What I have discovered, there just isn't a perfect place to live. Everywhere has its ups and downs. Yes, North Dakota has WINTER!!! HELLO??? LOL It can be harsh, but many times not so bad. I have to admit, I have done my far share of criticism of North Dakota and I appoligize to all that have stayed. I'm so looking forward to moving back next summer. Please pray my California house sells FAST!

Grand Forks is great, but I think if you really look to see the importance of a place to live, most of North Dakota would probably fit the mold.

I've been to Colorado. A great state! The Rockies are so beautiful! Glad you found a home!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,264 times
Now that Fargo has been named fifth-drunkest in the nation (See today's Fargo Forum, front page) I think it has solidified its case for a #1 ranking.

Last edited by Old Surrender; 12-05-2007 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Missing key word

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
Now that Fargo has been named fifth-drunkest in the nation (See today's Fargo Forum, front page) I think it has solidified its case for a #1 ranking.
Not sure what kind of case your trying to make?
Besides, drunk of what? Drunk with love, Drunk with envy, drunk with pride, or if its poletics, it could be drung with power?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 32,067 times
1. Grand Forks- Great place to raise a family.
2. West Fargo...Ha!
3. Bismarck
4. Minot- I've never been there.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,264 times
What's so AbFab about West Fargo other than the Frisbee golf course?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
This is too easy:

1- Bismarck: Beautiful scenery, tons of development in homes, shopping, restaurants

2- Fargo: Lots of shopping and eateries, nice college scene for a city it's size

3- Minot: It's OK, dirty and shrinking. But hey, it has Old Navy and Starbucks, makes it habitable

4- Grand Forks: Too bad the flood didn't finish the job Can we say flat, cold and boring? Good thing Fargo is so close!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
I have been to Fargo, but here is my ratings based on the impressions.
1. Fargo- big city with a good economy, shopping options, closer to other larger cities.
2. Grand Forks- university city that is the right size, close to Canada.
3. Bismarck- near the Missouri and has nice hills but somewhat in the boonies.
4. Minot- it may be a nice city but is way out in the boonies.

Should do something similar for SD, but it is more of a two-city state than ND.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
This is too easy:

1- Bismarck: Beautiful scenery, tons of development in homes, shopping, restaurants

2- Fargo: Lots of shopping and eateries, nice college scene for a city it's size

3- Minot: It's OK, dirty and shrinking. But hey, it has Old Navy and Starbucks, makes it habitable

4- Grand Forks: Too bad the flood didn't finish the job Can we say flat, cold and boring? Good thing Fargo is so close!

Hi

I must defend GF a bit....when was the last time you visisted.... You would be very very suprised with all the changes, especially since 2001 when the housing and commercial building took off. Things have slowed in 2007 after peaking in 04 and 05. But we have the Old Navy....Starbucks...and many other trendy stores now that Fargo has. Though we could use a lot more....but granted F-M metro area is 165,000 +/- while GF/EGF is maybe 65,000 +/-. Latest estimate for GF pop is around 54,000 or so. Downtown has taken off as a more college oriented bar scene (good or bad depending on your point of view), there are two new apartment/condo places built with some restored buildings into apartments. And we have restaurant row in EGF.

Certainly for those wanting more shopping and eating choices....Fargo would win due to population....and Bismarck has been growing like crazy. So I am not saying GF is better than Fargo and Bismarck....but each city has their own qualities and really dont think any one is "bad".

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo