U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
 
108 posts, read 401,981 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Ditto, Mikeytoo.
It costs one gallon of consumed fuel to manufacture/distill corn to become one gallon of ethanol. Somehow that doesn't strike me as cost effective. It might make greenies stand up and cheer and feel like they are doing something productive but they aren't, it isn't, and the price of corn is going up because of such foolishness.
Oh, the stuff people find on the internet, I have read that there that it can take 5 gallons of gas to make a a gallon of alcohol. It does not require any gas to make alcohol, this is something perpetuated by the fuel companies. Alcohol has been made for thousands of years without gas. The thing you need is heat/energy to produce it and the oil companies want you to know that if you use gas to heat it will seem ineffective. You can use a vast array of renewable resources to make the alcohol like wind (plenty of that in ND) water, (ever hear of garrison dam) solar power, or replaceable combustables like wood, garbage etc. If you want to talk electric cars, they are much worse, it takes a lot more energy per mile for the amount you get out of the battery so some blogger could point out in theory it takes 20 gallons of gas to power an electric car the same distance you would get on 1 gallon of gas/alcohol powered vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,732,368 times
Reputation: 255
Talking LOL omg always makes for a good laugh

You're so defensive, I love it! I just post info I find online, and since I'm on medical leave I have lots of time to look up useless info I wouldn't find otherwise. What I have found, on your communities very own newspaper is this...
Closed: Leevers, Ben Franklin, Big Lots, and the following restaurants: Capone's, Campbell's Fresh, Jeannie's, GF Goodribs, Red River Cafe, Lola's, and Shangri-La. That's a lot for areas the size of GF, Bismarck, Fargo. I'm surprised someone is trying the Country Inn & Suites franchise again, since the first one on 32nd didn't last too long. I realize that GF has gotten some chains over the past couple years, because Bismarck and Fargo get the same ones, but it's sad to see is the privately owned restaurants going under. Mom and pop restaurants say a lot about an area, chains just say "hey, were the same as 1/2 of the cities in the US". Did you know that the Super Target did so poorly when it first opened in GF that it was the deciding factor for Fargo and Bismarck not getting one? And dammit I love Super Target!!! LOL. Dan, I told you I love to give GF crap, and and give you crap I will LOL. Believe me, no one will change your mind, and no one will change mine. GF isn't a ghost town so obviously something is going right. I know Canad Inns are great places, that's where I stay when I would go to Winnipeg. They have just been getting bad press, however, from the communities they are trying to branch out into in the states.
P.S.- Thanks for that link to the census site I've been looking everywhere for city specific growth, since most sites deal only with cities metropolitan population...

Last edited by BreaOC; 01-15-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,732,368 times
Reputation: 255
Exclamation Oh oh ebitdadada look!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
It seems, however, that the esteemed city commissionors David Jensen (i.e. Mr. I'm against abosolutly everything )
I KNOW!!!! But guess what I read..... "Dave Jensen, Bismarck's longest standing city commissioner, announced he will not be seeing a sixth consecutive term in 2008".... YAY!!! Hopefully this will help to spurt development, even more-so than it already is, in Bismarck because he was a huge deterrent to many things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,093,661 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
You're so defensive, I love it! I just post info I find online, and since I'm on medical leave I have lots of time to look up useless info I wouldn't find otherwise. What I have found, on your communities very own newspaper is this...
Closed: Leevers, Ben Franklin, Big Lots, and the following restaurants: Capone's, Campbell's Fresh, Jeannie's, GF Goodribs, Red River Cafe, Lola's, and Shangri-La. That's a lot for areas the size of GF, Bismarck, Fargo. I'm surprised someone is trying the Country Inn & Suites franchise again, since the first one on 32nd didn't last too long. I realize that GF has gotten some chains over the past couple years, because Bismarck and Fargo get the same ones, but it's sad to see is the privately owned restaurants going under. Mom and pop restaurants say a lot about an area, chains just say "hey, were the same as 1/2 of the cities in the US". Did you know that the Super Target did so poorly when it first opened in GF that it was the deciding factor for Fargo and Bismarck not getting one? And dammit I love Super Target!!! LOL. Dan, I told you I love to give GF crap, and and give you crap I will LOL. Believe me, no one will change your mind, and no one will change mine. GF isn't a ghost town so obviously something is going right. I know Canad Inns are great places, that's where I stay when I would go to Winnipeg. They have just been getting bad press, however, from the communities they are trying to branch out into in the states.
P.S.- Thanks for that link to the census site I've been looking everywhere for city specific growth, since most sites deal only with cities metropolitan population...

Hi glad to to be of help with the link. Is is so true about locally owned places....so hard to make a go of it. You have got to have so much financial backing like the chains do. We do need more rooms....try getting a room on the weekend at the last minute very very difficult. Luckily we have spare bedrooms for guests. We do have several successes....Sanders downtown has been there for a long time....Al's was started as a catering place and now is a restaurant opening up in the former Happy Joe's...formerly Capones....across from Simplot. Capones was too specialized and pricey....especially for Gateway which is much more the blue collar area of town. Toasted Frog took Lola's place and Joe Black's is downtown....along with a locally run Dakota Harvest Bread and Third Street Cafe. And one new condo and one new apartment complex are built and even the old Opera house right along the railroad tracks in downtown on 3rd was turned into apartments (loft style) and rented out rather quickly.

Overall from all this talk on this thread....it seems to show that the larger ND cities are doing well right now. Most farmers have money as last years crop was good and prices very good despite very high fuel prices. Great times to be in ND....the best economy is a long long time up here. Now if we can just get workers...the local paper ran a story about the true factor deciding our economic fate in this growth spurt we have going on is trying to lure workers to our state.

I have always wanted to live in GF since I knew my job of a weather forecaster could take me there. I love the flat praire and dont like the hills and trees. And I like cold perfect fit isn't.

BreaOC...now your nickname....I know of a city of Brea if northeast Orange county CA is that where you live now. Nice area...I love geography and weather and study many different climate regimes.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 PM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,732,368 times
Reputation: 255
Yeah, The city of Brea is amazing I love living here. It's small (for Cali standards) at 40,000 but has EVERYTHING you need. Tons of shopping! It's very similar to Bismarck, rolling hills and nice big houses. But man it's expensive, I totally miss that about ND. Even the new apartments in downtown GF are going for less than $400 a month for a 1 bd. We're looking for a new 1 bd here and it's hard finding them for under $1,300. If not much more. Of course I'm making over $11,000 more for the same retail position I worked at in Bismarck. But that doesn't make up for it. If I could just take my LA weather up to Bismarck!!! Of course that would bring all the people with it, and then ND would totally hate me. I'm fortunate not to have a long commute here either, it only takes me like 15 minutes to get to work. Know what I also miss about ND??? TEXAS ROADHOUSE!!! OMG my mouth waters thinking about it! the closest one is 250 miles away in AZ!

P.S.- I know I said I was getting useless info etc... but I admit I love all the info available on this site!!! Keep it up guys!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
 
161 posts, read 537,880 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
LOL wow you don't give up huh? I guess I'll leave it at the statement that regardless of where the numbers came from, the population of Grand Forks as a whole has dropped, and most of the decline has been post flood when the city was supposedly on the rebound. That's the only info that has any backing up, everything else is no more than speculation. Fargo and Bismarck (including their "metro" areas) are basically the only areas showing growth and the trend goes to show that may be the future of the cities in the state.
Honestly I'm not usually a GF backer so I'm not sure how it is that I won't give up (I wouldn't live in ND anywhere other than Bismarck or Fargo - Fargo still being a questional proposition ). My multiplier bit though isn't "speculation", its basic economics. I'll grant my calculation was back of the envelope but the facts are the AFB does explain a very large portion of GF's population decline. Does that make it a Bismarck or Fargo? Absolutly not - Either Bis or Fargo would cry if they had a single year like GF has had for the last 20 but it appears GF at least has an excuse for shrinking. Minot on the other hand...

Oh and yes, let us praise all that is good and holly that David Jenson will no longer be serving the fine city of Bismarck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: San DiFrangeles, Ca
489 posts, read 1,732,368 times
Reputation: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Honestly I'm not usually a GF backer so I'm not sure how it is that I won't give up (I wouldn't live in ND anywhere other than Bismarck or Fargo - Fargo still being a questional proposition ). My multiplier bit though isn't "speculation", its basic economics. I'll grant my calculation was back of the envelope but the facts are the AFB does explain a very large portion of GF's population decline. Does that make it a Bismarck or Fargo? Absolutly not - Either Bis or Fargo would cry if they had a single year like GF has had for the last 20 but it appears GF at least has an excuse for shrinking. Minot on the other hand...

Oh and yes, let us praise all that is good and holly that David Jenson will no longer be serving the fine city of Bismarck.
I tend to lean on the sarcastic side, if I didn't enjoy your posts I wouldn't give humor in my responses. Minot eww LOL!!! You and Dan are my favorite people in ND to go back and forth with because it's always a good hearted, intellectual discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
 
161 posts, read 537,880 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I tend to lean on the sarcastic side, if I didn't enjoy your posts I wouldn't give humor in my responses. Minot eww LOL!!! You and Dan are my favorite people in ND to go back and forth with because it's always a good hearted, intellectual discussion
Awe

I also enjoy your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top