U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,623 times
Default Neighborhood Advice

We're Moving to ND at the end of the month,

What areas of town should we avoid when looking for an apartment? Are there any "bad" neighborhoods, per say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM

384 posts, read 734,970 times
The iffy areas would most likely have older houses turned into apartments or run-down duplexes. The areas around Madison and Jefferson Elementaries see the most poverty, and thus unfortunately tend to have higher levels of property crime.
There's been a bit of gentrification in the Dowtown area, so there's some high end stuff there that's fine. The west edge of downtown (10th street out to the industrial areas) is somewhat sketchy. On the south side of downtown--surrounding Island Park--is a great neighborhood, often referred to as Historic Hawthorne.
There are a huge number of apartment complexes south of 13th Avenue South, west of 25th St., and surrounding the mall. There would be higher traffic and noise levels, but they are adjacent to a lot a restaurants, if that is important to you. How good the area is all depends on the rental manager and what your neighbors would be like. It can be a real mix.
Other than right next to NDSU, overall the North side is quieter than the south side. There are some apartments in the Longfellow school area, which is a lovely neighborhood.
HTH--

Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 PM

34 posts, read 80,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrchobo View Post
We're Moving to ND at the end of the month,

What areas of town should we avoid when looking for an apartment? Are there any "bad" neighborhoods, per say?
Nobody can make that decision for you. Everyone is different and wants something different. Better find a way to come take a look.

There are, believe it or not, no really bad neighborhoods or slums in Fargo. But there will be areas YOU will prefer or not. But nobody knows what those places are here unless you come visit, look, and say so.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM

12 posts, read 8,517 times
I would stay south side of town..its alot better..like the osgood neighborhoods..they are newer and a little more in rent/house prices but generally safer..anywhere in fargo is relatively safe...there are some neighborhoods that are sketchy..like i said stay south side like osgood,amber valley , sotuh 42nd st that area..super nice and decent rent.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 AM

34 posts, read 80,212 times
Default I prefer north Fargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohnsenmonk View Post
I would stay south side of town..its alot better..like the osgood neighborhoods..they are newer and a little more in rent/house prices but generally safer..anywhere in fargo is relatively safe...there are some neighborhoods that are sketchy..like i said stay south side like osgood,amber valley , sotuh 42nd st that area..super nice and decent rent.
Sorry, but I son't agree. I live on the north side of Fargo, and value it for its leafy green qualities and a more quiet, residential feel. I think many parts of south Fargo are noisy, barren and over populated by three story barracks-like apartment blocks with stick construction balconies. They all look alike. Much of south Fargo would be an eye sore to anyone from out of state looking for a place to live. Most of south Fargo was built for the influx of ND small towners who came to the city to find jobs.

Take your pick, north or south Fargo. I prefer the north.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 AM

2,785 posts, read 4,563,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzacher View Post
I think many parts of south Fargo are noisy, barren and over populated by three story barracks-like apartment blocks with stick construction balconies. They all look alike.
Overall, Fargo is a great place to be an apartment renter compared to large cities and probably even to other cities of its size (especially in North Dakota). When you're poor and/or transient and just want a decent place to live, the overall aesthetics of the city don't matter much to you.

Quote:
Much of south Fargo would be an eye sore to anyone from out of state looking for a place to live.
It seems like mostly new development. From an aesthetic standpoint, the town's biggest problem is probably a complete lack of geographic features (it's completely flat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo