U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 18,838 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Fargo in less than a week, and I was wondering if there was any store that sold Indian, or any ethnic foods. I have lived in Colorado for the past 5 years, and did most of my Indian grocery shopping in Denver. When I visited Fargo a month ago, I didn't find any stores that sold Indian food, or any ethnic food. I wonder if I missed anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiaplain0 View Post
I'm moving to Fargo in less than a week, and I was wondering if there was any store that sold Indian, or any ethnic foods. I have lived in Colorado for the past 5 years, and did most of my Indian grocery shopping in Denver. When I visited Fargo a month ago, I didn't find any stores that sold Indian food, or any ethnic food. I wonder if I missed anything.
Here is some info on Ethnic groceries in Fargo... It is a few years old but I think still pretty accurate... and there are likely more since then.

FM Ethnic Market Tour | Feature | High Plains Reader

I know there are several Indian food restaurants in town....

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM

231 posts, read 771,742 times
You should find plenty. The Asian-American market on Main Avenue (beside McDonalds) has a big section that's all Indian food. You will also find some at Lotus Blossum asian grocery store. There are some other stores that specialize in ethic foods throughout the Fargo/Moorhead area.

It shouldn't take long to find most of the things you are looking for, just have to take a little more time and do some exploring.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 18,838 times
Thank you for your help. I'll certainly check out those places.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiaplain0 View Post
Thank you for your help. I'll certainly check out those places.
I do a lot of my shopping at the Asian Market on Main St. The one mentioned in a post above.
It has a very good selection. Probably the best you will find in ND.They have, Indian, Pakistani, Japanese Indonesian and Malaysian along with touches of Turkish, Arab and Chinese. The fresh fruit and vegetable section is great. They have stuff I have not found in larger cities and fresh. The rice section is very good at least 5 or 6 varieties, Yes, Basmati is one and there is a very large selection of spices. and a good selection of sweets and pastries.

Bismarck (200 miles on the interstate) has stores that are specifically Indian and a few good Indian Restaurants. However, don't get confused some stores that advertise Indian mean Native American, which I eat quite a bit of.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 40,966 times
Default Great place

I spent most of my life in NJ, but lived in Fargo from 2009-2010 when I studied at NDSU for my Masters. I always wanted to live in ND. It was just one of those places on the map that I was always intrigued about every since I was a kid. But before traveling there I had imagined it to be a place that was on the brink of civilization. I was pleasantly surprised.

In comparison to NJ, it lacked the high unemployment rate, traffic, crime, and rude people. All welcoming characteristics. In fact, when I think back to my days in ND, I often reminisce about how nice the people were. There were times when my car got stuck in the snow, and people in other cars didn't pass me but rather pulled over and helped me push my car out. In comparison in NJ you would probably get honked at or run over. lol I suppose I shouldn't be bad-mouthing NJ too much since I am living here again.

The winter is NO JOKE!!! This is a whole new breed of cold, where temperatures can dip down to -40 to -55 with wind chill for a few days. Four or five layers of warm clothing may still be inadequate to walk outside for more than a minute. Good news is that Fargo is a close-knit community and well connected with buses. The NDSU bus system is free for college students and cheap for others to travel about. If you traveling by car, getting to places is not far. You will need to install a block heater in your car. In the midst of the cold winter, if you don't plug in your car to a electric outlet, it may not start. Something quite unique about ND when you compare it to other states in US.

There are plenty of big stores to shop from. In the past I have lived in Princeton, Dallas, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and when I compare my lifestyle in Fargo - I honestly didn't feel like I missed out on much. But then again, I am not a "partying" sort of person. In terms of Indian restaurant and grocery store, I can't remember the names but they do exist. I only recall one decent Indian restaurant near the Jefferson Lines bus station. But since I cooked at home, the asian market's groceries met all my needs for cooking Indian food.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM

583 posts, read 1,174,743 times
I used to travel to work in this area by car. Being from a big city, the few days a month that I worked within an hour of the Twin Cities I would go there are stock up on stuff from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and the Co-ops amongst other places.

Yes these towns of 200,000 or less such as Fargo have a few small stores with ethnic merchandise, but it will not be totally everything you want. I would plan of making the trip to the Twin Cities once or twice a month where everything you want can be easily found. You could keep a large ice chest and insulated bags in your trunk.

A trip to the Twin Cities to shop and be in a larger environment helped me keep my sanity. Some people are used to smaller towns and are not used to the vast array of items a big city resident has to choose from daily. For those of us of the non-white persuasion, proximity to a big multicultural metropolis is essential.

If you can do that, you may be able to make Fargo work for you.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 17,410 times
Im a bit surprised for a town of 100K or so people, there are tremendous varieties when it comes to ethnic taste. There are 3 Indian Restaurants at present with ridiculously good food for reasonable cost. Apart from that, there are at least 5 ethnic grocery stores. I believe this is also due to the fact that its a college town and has quite a bit of students from foreign nationality. MSUM, NDSU, Concordia do have a huge number of international students and the Refugee Population in the town is growing.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM

125 posts, read 203,993 times
I will remember this thread and refer to it for any upcoming recon trip I may make to Fargo, thanks for the ethnic grocery store information, especially about the fresh produce.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdahl View Post
Im a bit surprised for a town of 100K or so people, there are tremendous varieties when it comes to ethnic taste. There are 3 Indian Restaurants at present with ridiculously good food for reasonable cost. Apart from that, there are at least 5 ethnic grocery stores. I believe this is also due to the fact that its a college town and has quite a bit of students from foreign nationality. MSUM, NDSU, Concordia do have a huge number of international students and the Refugee Population in the town is growing.
If you could kindly list out the Indian restaurants & grocery stores, it will be very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo