U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM

160 posts, read 382,051 times

Advertisements

I live in West Michigan. The state has had its share of woes. It is coming back a bit economically but I feel like the best days are behind us. We don't have any major resources (other than water) that play a strong role in the economy (timber once did, about 100 years ago) and in spite of people talking of a manufacturing renaissance it has been limited. In general I think this place has poor logistics since it isn't on any major east-west highways and is the terminus of the north-south system, and West MI has no major port in spite of being on the lake. Finally I think the bad reputations of Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw (as well as the tax dollars spent keeping them afloat) is dragging down the state's government, economy, and reputation as a whole.

I've been reading about ND. I actually considered going out to Bakken but it seems to crazy for me, that isn't my pace of life. Fargo actually seems like a nice place. It isn't Bakken economically but it has below 3% unemployment. Low crime from what I understand. I also think the state's fiscal situation makes it a good place to attract business. It is about the right size for a city and a university town.

I am currently taking my associates in accounting. I'm debating whether to come up when I'm done with that, transfer to NDSU, or finish college around here and come if I can't find a job. So I have a few questions.

1. Is the economic situation really as good as people say? On this forum it seems like most people say yes but you have a few nattering nabobs of negativism who will tell you it is more than meets the eye.

2. Do the housing shortages that plague the west side of the state apply at all in Fargo?

3. I've heard a lot of bad things about Fargo and flooding. Have they made progress in flood control or do residential and commercial areas get flooded regularly?

4. What is the cost of living like there?

5. I understand it gets really cold, how to be people tolerate it and how long does brutal cold last?

6. Are people there friendly to outsiders or more insular?

7. What is the best and worst part of Fargo life?

8. I understand ND has not reached above 5% unemployment since 1987 (Here it has not been below that point since the mid 90s). Is the state always going to be lower than average and do you expect the good economy to be a lasting thing or will the boom go bust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I live in West Michigan. The state has had its share of woes. It is coming back a bit economically but I feel like the best days are behind us. We don't have any major resources (other than water) that play a strong role in the economy (timber once did, about 100 years ago) and in spite of people talking of a manufacturing renaissance it has been limited. In general I think this place has poor logistics since it isn't on any major east-west highways and is the terminus of the north-south system, and West MI has no major port in spite of being on the lake. Finally I think the bad reputations of Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw (as well as the tax dollars spent keeping them afloat) is dragging down the state's government, economy, and reputation as a whole.

I've been reading about ND. I actually considered going out to Bakken but it seems to crazy for me, that isn't my pace of life. Fargo actually seems like a nice place. It isn't Bakken economically but it has below 3% unemployment. Low crime from what I understand. I also think the state's fiscal situation makes it a good place to attract business. It is about the right size for a city and a university town.

I am currently taking my associates in accounting. I'm debating whether to come up when I'm done with that, transfer to NDSU, or finish college around here and come if I can't find a job. So I have a few questions.

1. Is the economic situation really as good as people say? On this forum it seems like most people say yes but you have a few nattering nabobs of negativism who will tell you it is more than meets the eye.

2. Do the housing shortages that plague the west side of the state apply at all in Fargo?

3. I've heard a lot of bad things about Fargo and flooding. Have they made progress in flood control or do residential and commercial areas get flooded regularly?

4. What is the cost of living like there?

5. I understand it gets really cold, how to be people tolerate it and how long does brutal cold last?

6. Are people there friendly to outsiders or more insular?

7. What is the best and worst part of Fargo life?

8. I understand ND has not reached above 5% unemployment since 1987 (Here it has not been below that point since the mid 90s). Is the state always going to be lower than average and do you expect the good economy to be a lasting thing or will the boom go bust?

I can answer some of your questions. I live up in the Grand Forks area about 1 hour north of Fargo but been to Fargo frequently and know enough about it to help out. I am also a meteorologist so know about the weather and flood potential....less about specific job or housing info (other than general stuff).

1 and 2 and 4. Fargo metro area has been growing steadily through the 90s until now. Its intersection of two major interstates makes it a natural place for many businesses to set up shop. Also being the largest city and metro area in the region plus only 4 hours to the Twin Cities makes it a very good location for growth. West Fargo (separate city) has been the fastest growing city in the state until the oil boom, and there are new schools being beilt to handle the growth (new High school). Fargo and adjacent Moorhead MN have several 4 yr colleges (Moorhead State, North Dakota State (largest) and Concordia (private)). The downtown of Fargo has been revitalized and Fargo shopping is the best in the state and West Acres Mall thriving and the largest mall in the state. Lots and lots of service jobs there....but also has some high tech jobs such as Microsoft there. Fargo remains a nice, clean community and a good place to get roots in North Dakota. Housing there is more plentiful than in the west and there are no big shortages....bigger city equals more builders equals more competition. That said, with continued population growth some places may not stay on the market long.

Cost of living....generally Fargo is the cheapest place to live in the state. Lowest gas prices, lowest rents and housing. I dont rent so not familiar with exact prices there.

3 and 5. Only a small part of Fargo is prone to flooding of the Red River in the spring (after spring thaw). Some areas of north Fargo along the Red and some areas of south Fargo near Rose Creek and then south rural areas around Oxbow. The floods of 2009, 2010, 2011 helped to prepare Fargo for the future. There is plans for a diversion around the city to divert high water from the Sheyenne and Red but this hasnt been funded yet....so future is still ??. Basically though for 90 pct of the city-area I wouldnt worry about it....Any areas west of I-29 are fine and safe. Yes winters can be cold....we get used to it and life goes on. Coldest time of year Thanksgiving to mid March when below zero temps are not uncommon and wind can blow a lot so blowing snow issues can be present, esp outside of town.

6. I was new to the region when I moved up from the south to Grand Forks. The region has that Minnesota nice thing going on. I find the people very tolerant of others....but are also ones not to get into your face. They prefer to let others be, and can be hard to get good friends right away. Most people are not going to breakdown your door to say hello, and those that do may be new to the area too. But overtime the friendships you get here I feel are true friends. Not fake ones. Folks here will help you out, even if they dont know you.

7. Fargodome attracts big name concerts to the area, and many bars and clubs are located on Broadway downtown. Never lived in Fargo, that is about all I know.

8. Fargo's economy will continue to be strong. Medical field is growing fast. Sanford is building a large new hospital on the southwest side.

I hope this helps...

Dan

Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,542,772 times
I live about 3 hours west of Fargo, but go to Fargo frequently for VA appointments. The VA clinic/Hospital is one of the best in the Nation. There are a number of us old retired Vets in the region that Depend on the Fargo VA.

Health care seems to be the fastest growing business in the Fargo region. It is a rather diverse City with a population from around the world. The Asian and Mideast population seems to be the fastest growing. It is also home to one of the few Mosques in North Dakota I usually try to make it there for the Friday Jummah prayer.

The cold weather typically extends from before Thanksgiving until after Easter. Feb and March seem to be the hardest months in my opinion.

I am not aware of any rentals in Fargo, but there does seem to be a number of homes for sale in the Moorhead area. There seems to be a very large out of State College population in Fargo and that keeps the rental properties filled.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM

418 posts, read 1,187,220 times
If you can, I would suggest seriously looking at transferring to NDSU to complete your degree in order to establish a network of contacts here through an internship, etc. I'm a native of Grand Rapids, MI, so I'm familiar with the points of comparison. If there is a drawback here, it is that the region has been rather insular in the past. Employment, particularly at professional levels in the local business community, can really be a matter of "who" you know, not "what" you know.
In terms of weather, yes, the temps here can get brutal in January and February. I can always top my family when talking about how tough the local weather is. But--much, much more sunshine than GR/Holland as and not nearly as much snow to shovel.
Fargo is, however, unremittingly flat. After 23 years, I do still miss the landscape of MI--rolling hills, dunes, acres of orchards, and, of course, the lakeshore.
But for employment prospects, the region's biggest accounting employer is Eide Bailly; they also work as a headhunter for the business/accounting fields.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,305 times
I've been unemployed for about 4 months. The cost of living in Fargo is cheap, however, to accompany this is the low rate of pay the area employers is willing to pay. It is definnately a who do you know type town for the good jobs. I stopped looking at Fargo in the last month and completely concentrating on Minneapolis, Denver, Omaha...anything to get into a larger metro area. The 2-3% unemployment rate is misleading. If you want a well paying job move west and prepare to live in a car or tent, I know quite a few people that have. I have a masters degree, and even though I am willing to accept a $15/hr job, I have heard the same thing after 12 interviews..."You are overqualified"

And here I thought my Masters degree would set me apart, it's having the reverse effect...My unemployment runs out in April...warm enough then to go to the oil fields and use my MBA to shovel sand for fracking I guess.

Theres a lot of rental properties currently available: [url=http://www.apartmentshq.com/]ApartmentsHQ | Your headquarters for area apartments[/url]

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,978,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over_qualified View Post
I have a masters degree, and even though I am willing to accept a $15/hr job, I have heard the same thing after 12 interviews..."You are overqualified"

And here I thought my Masters degree would set me apart, it's having the reverse effect.
I suspect that most of the people who make hiring decisions are completely unaware of the employment situation for college graduates in this country. They probably can't figure out why you don't want to earn a huge income working in whatever field your Masters degree is in. Therefore you are either an unmotivated loser or too strange and weird to consider employing. Also, you'll probably bolt for the exits as soon as you obtain one of those lucrative, plentiful jobs in your field. They probably have no idea that our nation has a large oversupply of college graduates, including those with advanced and professional degrees.

According to a recently released study, our nation has about 41.7 million college graduates (at least a Bachelors degree) but only 28.6 million jobs that require having a Bachelors degree, or 48% of all college graduates who work at jobs that don't require a Bachelors degree. You'll probably enjoy this article:

http://centerforcollegeaffordability...Report%202.pdf

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,571 times
What is the black population in the Fargo area. Considering on taking a job there.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fworkman112 View Post
What is the black population in the Fargo area. Considering on taking a job there.
Here is the info from the 2010 census for the city of Fargo. Remember, Fargo is part of a larger metro area including West Fargo and Moorhead. Data shows 2.7 pct of city pop is black. There has been an influx of Somali's and some other blacks from African countries in recent years due to refugee re-settlement via Lutheran Social Services.

Fargo (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,542,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fworkman112 View Post
I do some of my grocery shopping at the African Market on South 23rd St. Nearly every Black Person I have met in Fargo I met there. They have all been from Somalia. I like Somalian food so shop there whenever I am in Fargo.

Overall the black population in Fargo is small and it seems most are from Somalia.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM

168 posts, read 264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do some of my grocery shopping at the African Market on South 23rd St. Nearly every Black Person I have met in Fargo I met there. They have all been from Somalia. I like Somalian food so shop there whenever I am in Fargo.

Overall the black population in Fargo is small and it seems most are from Somalia.

I can back this up, I live in Fargo and a majority of the blac population here fit into two categories. The first are the refugees which as stated a majority are from Somalia, I have met some that are from Sudan though. The second category are the college students attending one of the three colleges in the Fargo/Moorhead area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or