Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times

Advertisements

I guess this means we're in deeper poo when it comes to flooding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
New outlook likely to be issued on Thursday.....

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,801 times
The online Forum says the city wants another 500k sandbags. Keep up the fight, Fargoans. I hope you have a slow snow melt and some dry weather ahead.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 35,520 times
With all this I hear about The Red River flooding somewhat often,if I decide to move to Fargo area,it would seem the best thing for me to do since I want to buy a house is to look for one at a location about 30 miles west of Fargo.Would
that be a wise decision? Thank you.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,243,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjoisey View Post
With all this I hear about The Red River flooding somewhat often,if I decide to move to Fargo area,it would seem the best thing for me to do since I want to buy a house is to look for one at a location about 30 miles west of Fargo.Would
There are plenty of areas you can move to and not have to worry about a flood in the Fargo metro area. The worst flood that hit Fargo wouldn't have even flooded my parents house and they live a few blocks away from the river.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjoisey View Post
I agree true river flooding only affects a very very small part of the city of Fargo right along the river...some on the northside along the river and then a few spots south of downtown right along the river banks. Some of the surrounding areas south of the city such as Oxbow are a bit more impacted around 40 feet.... But overall the city has done very extensive work to prepare themselves for flooding after the past several years.

So unless you want a house with a river view.... I wouldnt hesitate to buy anywhere in the city.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,136 times
And depending which direction you go, 30 miles outside the city could put you at great risk of overland flooding.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Updated outlook... looking like 39 to 41 is a quite likely range of crests. Record crest was in 09 at 40.8

Weather service predicts Red River in Fargo to crest at 39 to 41 feet | WDAY | Fargo, ND

Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Updated outlook... looking like 39 to 41 is a quite likely range of crests. Record crest was in 09 at 40.8

Weather service predicts Red River in Fargo to crest at 39 to 41 feet | WDAY | Fargo, ND
My brothers farm within 40 miles of Fargo, and they state that their really isn't any water standing anywhere from the snow that has melted and the creeks are still not running. It appears the parched land from the summer and fall drought is just absorbing snow melt, which in past flood years was unthinkable. Almost appears that though the soil is technically frozen, but it still maintains porosity that lets the water seep in with ease.

Could the dry summer and fall have created a situation that the flood models can't compute properly?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
My brothers farm within 40 miles of Fargo, and they state that their really isn't any water standing anywhere from the snow that has melted and the creeks are still not running. It appears the parched land from the summer and fall drought is just absorbing snow melt, which in past flood years was unthinkable. Almost appears that though the soil is technically frozen, but it still maintains porosity that lets the water seep in with ease.

Could the dry summer and fall have created a situation that the flood models can't compute properly?
Yes most anything is possible.... Unfortunately not being an hydrologist and dont know how the models work I just probably know as much as you....we got the numbers but other than that us mets at least like me have little input.

One thing though the melt hasnt started yet so really cannot compare this year to any other year....we are uncharted waters kind of like 97 was for GF....could it turn out a lot better sure can.... but who knows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo