U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 35,158 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm 20 years old and from California.

My uncle has been unemployed here in California for a long time now and now he got a job offer as a supervisor in North Dakota in the city of Fargo. He is going to get paid $20 dollars an hour.
Now he told me I can move with him if I wanted to. My cousin is going to move with him I believe.
I always wanted to move to another place and getting tired of living where I am now. I am more close to my uncle and not close to my mom or aunt.

I really want to go with him but before that I should research about North Dakota.

Can you guys help me out and tell me what goes on in North Dakota?

Is it easy to get a job like a cashier at Walmart or something.
I know it snows there a lot so how prepared should I be since I'm from California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

45 views and no replys? Thanks guys lol

Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 16,614 times
Default Hi Matt

North Dakota is very different from Cal both in climate and geography ,its very flat with extreme winter,I have been here 8 months and winter was intolerable.But I think Fargo has lot of jobs as all stores have wanted signs .
In end it all depends on your priorities why you want to be in Fargo for me its job and which I think is more worth than climate which I don't like .Do your research things you absolutely need in city you want and do ask us about them.Hope I helped !
Samantha form alabama.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 AM

168 posts, read 264,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTweeks View Post
Hi I'm 20 years old and from California.

My uncle has been unemployed here in California for a long time now and now he got a job offer as a supervisor in North Dakota in the city of Fargo. He is going to get paid $20 dollars an hour.
Now he told me I can move with him if I wanted to. My cousin is going to move with him I believe.
I always wanted to move to another place and getting tired of living where I am now. I am more close to my uncle and not close to my mom or aunt.

I really want to go with him but before that I should research about North Dakota.

Can you guys help me out and tell me what goes on in North Dakota?

Is it easy to get a job like a cashier at Walmart or something.
I know it snows there a lot so how prepared should I be since I'm from California?

Yes it is real easy to get a job as a cashier, not just at walmart.

I saw help wanted sign at the stopngo gas station on 12th ave north just the other day. The stopngo on broadway has had help wanted signs up for a cashier in the past month. It is not difficult to find a cashier job in Fargo.

It will be a large difference coming from California, dont expect it to be anything like california. You have cities larger then the entire population of our state, you have cities that are larger then North Dakota and South Dakota put together. There isnt much to do is what a lot of people say and I guess its true for them but I find stuff to do. Since the weather gets so bad in the winter time I become more introverted in the winters and in the summer I become more extroverted.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
As for jobs....in service/retail yes they are all over and available easily. i was just in Fargo this past weekend and as in Grand Forks where I work...service/retail jobs are in high demand and turnover can be high.

Winters are what you make of them..... Fargo overall is a great city I think with 3 local larger colleges in the area and growing metro area there are many opportunities to do things. Yes it is flat as is all of the valley....but only 3 1/2 to 4 hours to the twin cities so location is pretty good.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,855,661 times
OP - as far as making new friends and finding things to do.. should you decide to go... check out meetup.com's listings for Fargo.
You can see what others are interested in doing in their spare time and find something that you like.
Best of luck!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,969,401 times
It will be quite a culture shock and you will be giving up the mountains, the ocean, the nice weather, and the scenery. In all honesty, the only reason to live here is for economic reasons--low cost of living and low unemployment (but often low wages).

Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM

Does anyone know how much airplane tickets to Fargo North Dakota from California costs?

I am going there around the summer which is great time to job hunt.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 AM

583 posts, read 1,175,057 times
Check on Kayak. Where are you in Cali? Allegiant Air flys to Fargo from some airports. I have traveled to work our business in the area for some years. I don't like it at all, but if you can't find work where you are, and you are still young, it could be worth a try.

Even when it's not snowing and cold, it rains a lot, there are tornados, and humidity in the summer. Not sunny like in CA. The racial diversity is low. Well over 90% white. Drive the speed limit or get pulled over. Cops sitting around with nothing to do at night but wait for the bars to close and get DUI's. And with only 200,000 people there, if you have a run in with the law, they will always remember your car and you will always be a target.

Very conservative mentality there. But with it being a college community, you could decide to go to school and work part time rather than just get a dead end job. Many people in the Dakotas without education get dead end jobs and with the low cost of living stay stuck in a rut for the rest of their lives. Don't let that happen to you.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Boy....some interesting comments from the prev posts.....sounds like someone who hasnt been in Fargo for a number of years. Fargo today is not Fargo 1995.

Allegiant has direct flights from LAX to FAR and FAR to LAX twice a week....

Allegiant Air flights from Fargo to Los Angeles.

A check of allegiant website shows one way runs 140-155 dollars....

Round trip using other airlines from other cities typically run 500-750.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or