U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 AM

34 posts, read 57,149 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Up until a few weeks ago I was living in LA working in entertainment but had an epiphany and now I think I want to slow down, and live in a city that has amenities but isn't crazy like LA or NY the two cities I have lived in. I've had an affinity for the Midwest because I like the nice people there and love cold weather. I've heard great things about Fargo. A few questions, as a transplant what is the job situation like. My experience in the workforce is mostly in movies. Money won't be an issue unless I'm unemployed for more than a few months. What's the SoCial life like? Goods restaurants? Music scene? One more thing,I'm a minority (Asian American) and have heard people are very friendly, I'm pretty unassuming and don't like to stand out, people who live in Fargo what can I do to expand my social network? Are most people there accepting if not noy transplants, but minority transplants? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3i6nm8n View Post
Hi all,

Up until a few weeks ago I was living in LA working in entertainment but had an epiphany and now I think I want to slow down, and live in a city that has amenities but isn't crazy like LA or NY the two cities I have lived in. I've had an affinity for the Midwest because I like the nice people there and love cold weather. I've heard great things about Fargo. A few questions, as a transplant what is the job situation like. My experience in the workforce is mostly in movies. Money won't be an issue unless I'm unemployed for more than a few months. What's the SoCial life like? Goods restaurants? Music scene? One more thing,I'm a minority (Asian American) and have heard people are very friendly, I'm pretty unassuming and don't like to stand out, people who live in Fargo what can I do to expand my social network? Are most people there accepting if not noy transplants, but minority transplants? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I like Fargo and the metro area is big enough for a variety of shopping, nightlife, restaurants. Of course it is no Orange county CA, but the ethnic restaurant scene has greatly expanded over the past 10-20 yrs as more and more ethnicities come to Fargo. As for Asian American I wouldnt anticipate any issues whatsoever. There are several large colleges in the metro area so there is a mix of young along with families/middle age residents. As for social scene....I still find it that it is a bit harder to break into the
"friends" scene sometimes (and I live in a smaller town north of Fargo) as many folks are pretty tight in who they let into their friendship zone. Most often you will find friends first among other transplants.

Job scene is quite good.. For retail/service type jobs....many to choose from as is among all the ND cities. Microsoft is in Fargo and there are many health care places as well with two large hospitals and associated clinics. There is manufacturing as well....so depending on what you want there should be sufficient options.

I am a meteorologist up in Grand Forks....and if you like cold you will love it here. The area is very flat so wind is always present....north winds and south winds predominate. Winters tend to be quite cold and days above freezing in Dec-Feb are a pleasant change.... The difference in temps between Fargo and say Sioux Falls and Minneapolis can be quite big.

Dan

Old 05-18-2013, 01:10 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,969,401 times
Good restaurants? Forget it. You'll find many of the national chains here but few good restaurants, at least good affordable restaurants. As far as cold goes, what does "cold weather" mean to you? Here in in Fargo you could encounter temperatures of 0 degrees Fahrenheit. (California's "cold weather" is warm weather here.) In terms of entertainment options and culture this place is completely dead compared to what you're used to in California.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,737,784 times
As a California transplant I'd say my biggest gripe about Fargo is the dating scene. There's no ass to be found in this town unless you're willing to settle for damaged goods.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
As a California transplant I'd say my biggest gripe about Fargo is the dating scene. There's no ass to be found in this town unless you're willing to settle for damaged goods.
Lol.

I am planning on moving to ND this July and was wondering if I will need a car to live in Fargo? How good is the public transportation system? I don't want to take my baby for such a long drive.. mpg is terrible.

Thank for your help.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,737,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notea View Post
Lol.

I am planning on moving to ND this July and was wondering if I will need a car to live in Fargo? How good is the public transportation system? I don't want to take my baby for such a long drive.. mpg is terrible.

Thank for your help.

You will need a car IMO, unless you want to wait in subzero temps for a bus or a taxi.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
You will need a car IMO, unless you want to wait in subzero temps for a bus or a taxi.
i agree public transport or taxis are available, but I couldnt imaging relying on that for all my travels in the area just due to time schedule. I am not sure how late the buses operate and if they do so on sunday.

Here is the link to public transport for you to compare

MATBUS--Fargo, Moorhead and West Fargo

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,881 times
For what it's worth - moved here from Calif 4 months ago. Be ready for a shock, and if you've never lived in this climate, there can be some real surprises. For instance, the snow can be difficult but not nearly as much as ice. It can be really treacherous, particularly if you are elderly. The wind blows a lot, and can be very strong at times. The wind chill always has to be factored into your outdoor escapades. There are a few good restaurants, but not nearly as many as in Cal, where you get spoiled. Chinese and Mexican food can be hard to come by. The people are nice, although there are nice people everywhere if you look for them. But the folks here are quite industrious. Bad weather doesn't seem to slow them down much - they just blast on through. Construction guys work through the rain and snow most times. Have not seen what summer has to offer, but regular thunderstorms are apparently pretty normal. In California, you seldom see any rain May - Oct which makes it easy to plan stuff. Here you can't be sure. And while people here are always willing to help, there is often a general lack of sophistication. Not a negative, just different, and you probably have to have lived in California many years to notice the disparity. Many things just don't seem to be quite as nice: from things like grocery stores to cable TV, to live music venues and entertainment, to a slower internet connection. Everything you need
is here, it just won't be California. For instance, there is a real lack of day trip destinations. In the Bay Area, you can go to San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, the wine country - even the Monterey Peninsula. All fabulous outings. Even Sacramento offers drives to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite. Southern California is terrific also. Here you are
pretty much restricted to the Detroit Lakes area. Minneapolis is probably a long weekend.

Just my .02.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,439,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3i6nm8n View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.
Are you saying you have only lived in NYC and LA, or they are the only cities you have lived in?

Fargo may be slower than you are expecting? Also, Fargo cold is different than NYC cold.

The Chamber - Fargo Moorhead West Fargo

Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 PM

125 posts, read 204,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFabeets View Post
For what it's worth - moved here from Calif 4 months ago. Be ready for a shock, and if you've never lived in this climate, there can be some real surprises. For instance, the snow can be difficult but not nearly as much as ice. It can be really treacherous, particularly if you are elderly. The wind blows a lot, and can be very strong at times. The wind chill always has to be factored into your outdoor escapades. There are a few good restaurants, but not nearly as many as in Cal, where you get spoiled. Chinese and Mexican food can be hard to come by. The people are nice, although there are nice people everywhere if you look for them. But the folks here are quite industrious. Bad weather doesn't seem to slow them down much - they just blast on through. Construction guys work through the rain and snow most times. Have not seen what summer has to offer, but regular thunderstorms are apparently pretty normal. In California, you seldom see any rain May - Oct which makes it easy to plan stuff. Here you can't be sure. And while people here are always willing to help, there is often a general lack of sophistication. Not a negative, just different, and you probably have to have lived in California many years to notice the disparity. Many things just don't seem to be quite as nice: from things like grocery stores to cable TV, to live music venues and entertainment, to a slower internet connection. Everything you need
is here, it just won't be California. For instance, there is a real lack of day trip destinations. In the Bay Area, you can go to San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, the wine country - even the Monterey Peninsula. All fabulous outings. Even Sacramento offers drives to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite. Southern California is terrific also. Here you are
pretty much restricted to the Detroit Lakes area. Minneapolis is probably a long weekend.

Just my .02.

Good post. Good you mentioned the treacherous ice. I grew up with it so I know how to walk on it but my issue with it is you can't make any time. If you are walking to get somewhere you can only walk so fast. Although, part of the technique of walking on ice is to keep moving. It could be hard to learn if you haven't done it half the year your whole life, I don't know.

Best way to get through winter is to get out there and deal with it, hiding in the house will make you stir crazy, you will know the meaning of the phrase "cabin fever"!

I think your point about the lack of day trip destinations is a valid one. I'm sure people in Fargo go to the lakes in northern Minnesota, and there are a lot of nice places there. But Fargo is isolated, you can't deny it. If I lived there I would hope to go to Winnipeg a lot. One reason why I do think of ever possibly moving to Fargo someday is because it is the closest you can get to Winnipeg, a nice city, great people there. Not a day trip distance though.

The North Shore of Lake Superior is great and dramatic at all times of year, and Duluth has a lot to recommend it, I do not know how long it takes to get there from Fargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or