U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 09:33 PM

284 posts, read 580,291 times

Advertisements

I am working on the route for my daughter who will be driving from Land O'Lakes WI to a new job in Oregon. It looks like she will want to stop the first night in Fargo/Moorhead. Google Maps recommends 2/73/200/34 from Duluth to Moorhead. Is that the best route? According to Google Maps, 210/10 would be only a few minutes longer and looks like a lot less chance of getting lost. Your advice?
Also, Google Maps estimates 7 hours 41 minutes for the first route. Does that sound right?
Last, any recommendations for a motel safe for a young woman travelling alone along that route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
I am working on the route for my daughter who will be driving from Land O'Lakes WI to a new job in Oregon. It looks like she will want to stop the first night in Fargo/Moorhead. Google Maps recommends 2/73/200/34 from Duluth to Moorhead. Is that the best route? According to Google Maps, 210/10 would be only a few minutes longer and looks like a lot less chance of getting lost. Your advice?
Also, Google Maps estimates 7 hours 41 minutes for the first route. Does that sound right?
Last, any recommendations for a motel safe for a young woman travelling alone along that route?
Now I have never driven DLH-Fargo route.... but I would agree based on the map that taking 210 from just south of Duluth (cloquet) to Brainerd then hitting Hwy 10 which takes you through Detroit Lakes then west is the best way. Highway 10 is 4 way through Staples to Moorhead. It isnt interstate meaning you do have to slow down as you pass through towns, but better than 2 way.

I would suggest personally that she takes Hwy 336 once she hits Dilworth MN on Hwy 10....which will connect you to I-94 and then head west on I-94 over into Fargo and stay somewhere on I-94 at 45th St S exit area. That way when she leaves the next morning there is a clear shot west and no traffic to encounter. There are several places at that exit....Sleep Inn being likely the most economical....70-80/night but there are other choices. There are also many restaurants/gas stations in the area and that area is pretty new as well and safe. There is an applebees there. Famous Dave's bbq, etc etc right there.

Anyhow that would be my suggestion.

Dan

Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
I second Dan's recommendation for the Hwy 336/"Glyndon Cut-off" route to get to I94. There are also many motels just one mile north of I94 at the I29 & 13th Ave South Interchange. I would say that all of the motels in that area are safe for a woman traveling alone. They almost all have interior hallways with passkey doors.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,065,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
I've driven both of those routes, the one google maps recommends is a bit faster and more scenic. The other one might be a bit more easier to navigate though.

As for a hotel there are a lot of options that fit your criteria. The Hampton Inn, Best Western Kelly Inn and Suites, Hilton Garden Inn and La Quinta Inn and Suites would be a few I would reccommed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or