U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM

14 posts, read 37,373 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I am moving to rural Fargo shortly and am wondering about the internet down that way. We will most likely be staying near Kindred. What internet do you all have that way and how good is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Hi

I posted this question on my FB page as I know a couple folks who follow me due to weather who live in south rural Cass county....this person lives in Oxbow a bit east of Kindred. A guy at my work lives in rural Grand Forks county and they use Verizon hotspot for service. MLGC is the main cable/cable internet provider in the town of Kindred. I dont know how far they go out though outside of the city limits. Reliable Telephone, TV, Internet Service | MLGC

Overall I do like Kindred area....having been down that way once. Most of the city is just west of the Sheyenne River....and I certainly would avoid any properties right up against the river due to Sheyenne River flooding. But Kindred city itself and the points west and northwest toward Davenport and Mapleton are fine. Kindred does have a new HS....and their district runs east through parts of Horace and Oxbow.

Now something to be aware is the current push to construct the Fargo-Moorhead diversion project. This is a rather complicated diversion project to divert waters from the Red and Sheyenne west and around the West Fargo and Fargo. In the project the plan is to have a staging area around Horace and Oxbow which in times of high water would flood that area....basically hold back the water that would normally pass through the Red. Folks in Horace/Oxbow and that area are fighting this very strongly....and with the cost of the diversion 1 billion or so funding for it may take many many years...even if started today it would take 10 years to complete....and we are know were close to any construction. Here is a map....

http://www.fmdiversion.com/pdf/Diversion2013_11x17.pdf

It is my understanding that Kindred is not impacted one way or the other....so should be fine and wouldnt worry about buying or living in Kindred area. I would avoid east though toward Horace and Oxbow part of far south Cass county.

What is interesting there is Highway 46 that runs from the Red River west along the Cass/Richland/Ransom line and it is known as the longest highway without a curve. The land around Kindred is flat and all agriculture.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks! I think the Kindred area is where we're looking. How is the hunting in ND?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM

I heard back from a facebook friend of mine (we discuss weather and flooding) whose family has been in the Oxbow and far south Cass county area for 20+ years.... and he has friends in Kindred. Here is what he said...

My friends in Kindred do have internet and I haven't heard of too many complaints about it after they ran a new line from Horace in 2011. Overall though Kindred is a very nice town and a good place to grow up in. Perfect size, get to know everyone well. It is becoming more of a baseball town...new complex of 5 diamonds is becoming the envy of Region 1 Class B baseball. Brand new school (new teacher don't have much experience is a complaint I have heard) New bar and new cafe just opened up on Main Street and a few new developments including the big one near the airport. 5 churches, gas station, locally owned well stocked grocery store, a couple body shops, a new daycare, etc. It is a small quiet town with all the amenities yet only a 20 minute drive to the nearest Walmart and Fargo. I'd say a great place to relocate to if I were a young parent. That is my honest, unbias opinion. Same with Enderlin, ND. Very similar towns. Hope this helps!

So in the town of Kindred it seems you have the option of cable internet from MLGC. If you live outside of town and away from the cable option, then most go with Century Link DSL who hooks up with Verizon 4G. You use a Verizon hot spot.

But I would agree that the area from Kindred west to Enderlin then up to Mapleton is a nice area....still heavily rural but with some subdivisions built...but very small town life. You are not far from West Fargo-Fargo and the shopping. Most of the growth in the West Fargo-Fargo area is west of I-29 and south of I-94....new Sanford Hospital going in along Veterans Boulevard along the Fargo-West Fargo line.

--Dan

Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM

Thank you so much! you are the most helpful person Ive (never) met.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM

Your welcome I do hope you get to visit before you move....while I will think you will like the area...you never know. Good deals on Allegiant to Fargo from LAX. They dont have daily flghts I think but a few times a week, I believe Wed and Saturday. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

We are coming next week to visit and check everything out.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsFan View Post
We are coming next week to visit and check everything out.
Great.....hope it all works out for you! Always curious to see how new folks never been to the area get a feel for how it is. Having lived in this region for 15 yrs and also lived in the midwest most of my life....you tend to get a bit used to things. Esp if you come from a larger city/metro to here. Fargo metro is large by our standards but of course small by any metro California standards.

Oh you asked about hunting.... I am not a hunter or fisherman much....but sure know a lot who are. Hunting/fishing is quite ingrained in the way of life for many. Deer hunting in the fall is very popular...and I know there are residence tags and then non-residence tags. Kindred area being more open farmland but also near the river will see deer more congregate in the woods along the river/stream banks but being in October-November (Nov I think is the gun season) they will be out in the fields looking for leftover food from the harvest.

Fishing is quite excellent...Devils Lake is world re-known for its excellent year round fishing and so is Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota as well as the many other lakes in Minnesota and Lake Ashtabula north of Valley City.

Duck/Bird Fowl hunting is quite popular in North Dakota and one of the main migratory paths for birds is right over the ND pothole region which runs just west of the red river valley centered Devils Lake to Jamestown then toward Aberdeen. Pothole region for the many small dips that fill in with water in the wet season and make for a good stopping point for birds in the spring and fall migration.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Just saw this about bird/fowl .... Chase Lake Natl Wildlife Refuge is a bit west of Jamestown....

Nest-apalooza: 30,000 pelicans return to North Dakota refuge | WDAY | Fargo, ND
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or