U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 AM

3 posts, read 4,166 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently contemplating a move to the Fargo area next summer from the Tacoma, wa area. He's been unemployed for a few months but had an interview in Fargo a few weeks ago and, while he didn't get the job, he really liked the area. He has been talking with another company in Fargo and it seems like a great fit. Also, he'll have his masters in teaching by next fall to teach high school math. So, we're looking for a little advice/opinions

1. We have two small boys and I've read a million threads about the winters but I want to know if people still go out and play in the cold and snow. We really don't mind cold/snow/wet and go out and play in the rain now, but I don't have a lot of experience with such extreme cold and just want to know if its still possible to go out and play. Also, does Fargo offer activities in te winter to prevent going stir crazy? I cannot stress enough that the cold doesn't bother us, I just don't know if people still play when it's -10 out or not.

2. Does anyone have any experience with the school system, especially from the prospective of a teacher? We've heard good things about the schools, but nothing about teaching there.

3. We were looking at apartments in south Fargo/ osgood area which look brand new and a newer area, but we were wondering if its safe or an okay area, esp with little kids. My husband also checked out a couple homes to rent in Hawley, MN and other small towns around there. Any opinions on living in Fargo as opposed to a nearby small town?

Any other tips or advise would be appreciated, especially regarding raising a family with little kids there. We have wanted to get out of Washington for a long time and move somewhere new and the Midwest really seems to be calling our name. I don't know when else we'd have an opportunity to make a big move like we have now, since we're not really tied to anything here. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam7204429 View Post
My husband and I are currently contemplating a move to the Fargo area next summer from the Tacoma, wa area. He's been unemployed for a few months but had an interview in Fargo a few weeks ago and, while he didn't get the job, he really liked the area. He has been talking with another company in Fargo and it seems like a great fit. Also, he'll have his masters in teaching by next fall to teach high school math. So, we're looking for a little advice/opinions

1. We have two small boys and I've read a million threads about the winters but I want to know if people still go out and play in the cold and snow. We really don't mind cold/snow/wet and go out and play in the rain now, but I don't have a lot of experience with such extreme cold and just want to know if its still possible to go out and play. Also, does Fargo offer activities in te winter to prevent going stir crazy? I cannot stress enough that the cold doesn't bother us, I just don't know if people still play when it's -10 out or not.

2. Does anyone have any experience with the school system, especially from the prospective of a teacher? We've heard good things about the schools, but nothing about teaching there.

3. We were looking at apartments in south Fargo/ osgood area which look brand new and a newer area, but we were wondering if its safe or an okay area, esp with little kids. My husband also checked out a couple homes to rent in Hawley, MN and other small towns around there. Any opinions on living in Fargo as opposed to a nearby small town?

Any other tips or advise would be appreciated, especially regarding raising a family with little kids there. We have wanted to get out of Washington for a long time and move somewhere new and the Midwest really seems to be calling our name. I don't know when else we'd have an opportunity to make a big move like we have now, since we're not really tied to anything here. Thanks!

Hi

I am a meteorologist up here in Grand Forks ND and our family lives in East Grand Forks MN. We visit Fargo regularly..and we have young kids (8 yr old boy and twin 4 yr old boys)....and I have been living here since 1998 and my wife is from Minot.

Now living up here in the Forks and not in Fargo means unfortunately I dont have a lot of specifics on what the city offers exactly,. but I can let you know how we deal with things.

Each parent is different but with our young boys (when they are ages 2-4 we do limit outdoor exposure at below zero temperatures or when wind chills are very low. We have a heated garage and they play in there but most of the time they play in the house and yes can go quite stir crazy. But we do take them out sledding when we have a break in the cold. What we have done during the winter months is to take the kids to the local library for story time.... the local gymnastics club has open gym for toddlers usually M-F at a certain time for a small fee. But yes no doubt the kids can get stir crazy. In some winters the depth of snow due to drifts are too deep so the young kids cannot go in the back or front yards....but they do like to go on the driveway and play climb the piles, but if they walk away from the piles where the snow is soften they generally sink in (ages 2-3). I dont know how old yours are. We dont skimp on winter coats and buy name brand....Columbia is quite popular.

How cold it is and how long it stays cold does vary greatly from winter to winter. But you can expect a few episodes of wind, blowing snow and quite low wind chills.

That south and southwest side of Fargo is still booming and the Osgood area is quite safe and very kid friendly, in terms of having many younger families in that area. I wouldnt hesitate to move there. That area of town is more open and subject to a bit more drifting than older parts of town. We live in a newer area of East Grand Forks and face the drifting snow issues quite a bit and get a good workout shoveling or snow blowing after a wind event.

As for renting a house outside of the immediate area....the only negative is the commute in the winter. There will be times when we have country or out of town blizzards...in town it is fine but once you get outside of town visibility is near zero due to blowing snow. That can mean more delay in getting into the city then otherwise if you lived in town. The I-94 stretch from the Barnesville curve to Moorhead and Highway 10 west of Lake Park to Moorhead can be especially impacted by poor visibility and drifting. Living out that way is fine...but for a new person to the area I would pick in town for your first winter or two before moving outside of town, personally. But a lot has to do with job and how critical it is to make it into town.

I am not familiar with teaching jobs in Fargo area. Realize that Osgood I think is in West Fargo school district which is booming and they have having to build new schools and there is a new West Fargo high school that will be built.

Any ? please feel free to ask.....but there are a couple of folks on this forum who live in Fargo who can help out more hopefully in regards to children activities.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
I live in Fargo; my boys are now 17 & 14, but I think I remember what it was like. Yes, the kids play outside in winter. We would be good until about -5. Even 30-40 minutes outside would really help blow off steam. We found it much easier December-March when there was snow outside for playing; November with cold rain was much worse. For other large motor activities, several of the elementary schools have open gyms on Saturdays which can help. Depending on the ages of your boys, the Fargo Public Library's Wiggle Room , although not a large-motor play area, offers a change of scene option or destination for an outing.
In terms of teaching jobs, some people have found it hard to break into that job market here; all three universities & college--North Dakota State University, Minnesota State University-Moorhead, and Concordia College--have teacher education programs so there are many locally produced teacher candidates. That's not to say that people from outside the region haven't moved here and located teaching positions. Yes, the West Fargo district is booming and will be starting a second high school in the coming years. The Fargo Public Schools is finishing up its next long-range building plan and appears to be building new elementary schools also. But like any district--if you can offer a specialty or can also coach, that's an asset. Be sure to check out the licensing requirements for ND teachers, if you haven't already. I know some people who have moved into the state that discovered their credentials wouldn't transfer or that they needed to go through various conditional hoops. In one instance, a friend who had been an orchestra conductor in both Arkansas and Minnesota high schools had to officially be a "student teacher" during his first year of employment in ND and file lesson plans with a mentor teacher--after having taught for 12 years in other states.
Osgood is perfectly safe--just treeless and tends to get drifted in. My colleagues in the newer SW portions of town have a much harder time of digging out and getting to work than those of us who live in the historic central core of the city.
As the questions come up, let us know and we'll do our best to answer.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:23 PM

231 posts, read 771,742 times
Fargo is a great place to raise kids. The schools are great, my son always had teachers that cared throughout his education. Kids can play outside year around except in extreme cases. However, icy road conditions on occasion will make long commutes a pain, even for the most experienced drivers. If you are looking for beaches and mountains, there are probably better options. If you are looking to raise a family, then Fargo is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or