Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,552 times

Advertisements

Would anyone happen to know of any rental agencies in Fargo that accept dogs? I'm fairly new to the area and have tried calling around--From the two I've heard that take dogs, both want a large non-refundable pet deposit... Figured I'd keep looking and see what else was out there. Any help would be much appreciated! Neighborhood/area of Fargo is not important, though I would prefer housing east of I-29. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,718 times
I don't live in Fargo but I live in Minot and if you are not from North Dakota you were probably as surprised as we were at the low housing available that allowed pets and the outrageous deposits they want. I called around for months when we found out we were moving here and we still didn't find anything until we moved to Minot. The pet deposits are going to be a necessity. I'm not sure how you can get out of that. We got lucky and only had to be a $600 fee for our lab, which was less than the avergae $1000. We called around to different property management places. We found a small one that didn't care about pets because it had a huge yard. I would look for places with a large, or any really, fenced in area. These places are probably more likely to allow pets. Drive around and look at for rent signs or look online at places and drive to see if they have fenced in yards. And all I can really say is keeping calling, calling, calling! You definitely want to call property management places because they do more homes. No apartments in Minot allow pets and it could be the same for Fargo.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM

231 posts, read 736,218 times
If you do some searching, you will see that this has been discussed at length. Many people crying about not finding homes that allow animals; many others explaining the reasons.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,006 times
As a landlord in N.D. I will tell you this. If I ever take another animal I will be getting a non-refundable $1000 pet fee up front. I just have to make the assumption that after every resident with a pet I will be replacing carpet (if that is the only damage).

I just put in $1400 worth or carpet because of someone's "nice little, well behaved pet".

Sad part is most are what you would call "good people".

Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 AM

The only thing about people "crying" about not being able to find places that allow pets is that this pretty much only pertains to North Dakota. I've never had any other problem finding a place that allowed pets for very low deposits. I'm just wondering why this is?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 AM

As I've already mentioned, this was discussed at length. In a nutshell, it's because of people not controlling their animals. "They're a part of the family!" can easily be responded to with "Hold them to the same standards as the rest of your family". Do you permit anyone to defecate anywhere? Then why not do the same with your animals?

It may have been on another discussion board, but the general consensus among those of us who are property owners is the same: If you think requiring a large deposit is awful, YOU become a landlord.

This last spring, I was too late in making an offer on a nice place in Moorhead. It was easily worth $160k (on the low end), but I would not have payed more than $140k because of all the damage I would have to fix from the current owners and their animals.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM

I understand all that but why is it worse in North Dakota, what I want to know.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,006 times
Housing is tighter in North Dakota. We can be more picky with who we accept.

Desperate landlords in other regions will take anyone who can fog a mirror.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I understand all that but why is it worse in North Dakota, what I want to know.
Due to renter demographics throughout the state, it tends to be more cost-effective not to allow pets. I managed a few apartment buildings for about 8 years total, and can honestly say that if I had a building I'd definitely not allow pets or smoking. 1 in 4 renters is barely clean enough to live indoors, much less animals in their care.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 PM

Travis makes a couple of very good points. Up until I went to college and lived in the dorms for a couple years, I believed everyone lived a fairly clean (if sometimes cluttered or disorganized) life. No... in fact, out of the friends I made in college that I still see regularly, less than half of them can manage to live in what most of us would call "civilized". It's sad, very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: