Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the original poster was put into a situation at that time and she had no choice but to not pay the rent because she had no money.
That could have been the time she was in the middle of a divorce or medical emergency or unemployed.

Personally I would find out what the situation is before making a decision like that however, I am a renter because I do not want to purchase yet and I have no credit because I have nothing financed and haven't had anything financed for more than 15 years. This means I have no credit history but I have yet had a landlord refuse to rent to me based on that alone.
Cash still talks pretty loud when one has excellent references and no debt even without credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Corbay makes a good point, depends on the rental market. In a competitive one, you are going to go with someone who you think overall would make the best tenant. Credit score may be one of many components, but if you have two people who want a place, and all else being equal you are going to give it to the one with better credit. Less risk.

But in a rental market that is weak, then you will be less selective as in most cases any renter is better than none.

But right now in North Dakota it is still a supply and demand issue with high demand and, while improving, limited supply.

In cases of lower credit scores, then your best bet is to go with renting out from someone who owns one or two places, and not deal with a company whose policies are more cut and dry.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJ0 View Post
so your saying a person can't change basically ...
No. Corbay is saying that a person has to prove that they have changed. The proving takes time.

Would you be willing to co-sign for the OP? No? I thought not. You are, however, willing to volunteer others to take that same risk.

A person with bad credit can always pay three or four months rent in advance. Such a gesture would probably get them in and over time, the person can dig themselves out of the hole.

Such a person has proven they've changed.

It's one of the reasons that bad stuff drops off one's credit reports after a period of time.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Let's get back on topic folks. The topic is not about how the op should change, so get off of it.

The topic is:

If anyone can help or knows of a landlord that might work with me please let me know. I have 2 jobs and no criminal backround. But also no cosigner. HELPPPPP!!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM

[Mod cut]
Again, go where DaninEGF mentioned - the small owner and not the complexes in town. Go to the small towns with < 1,000 residents with scattered rentals.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-14-2014 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
I know this is old but what if the land Lord has credit issues? Is that a conflict?

Old 11-20-2014, 01:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I know this is old but what if the land Lord has credit issues? Is that a conflict?
What difference would that make? He's not the one in question. You have the choice of not renting from him/her. How would you know his credit? Without his permission, you can not legally investigate his credit.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What difference would that make? He's not the one in question. You have the choice of not renting from him/her. How would you know his credit? Without his permission, you can not legally investigate his credit.
It would make life interesting if a federal law were passed that said:

"If a landlord or employer wants to see your credit report, you are entitled to view the other party's credit report and accounting books."

Old 11-26-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I know this is old but what if the land Lord has credit issues?
That would have a peripheral effect. If the landlord has credit issues, it could possibly effect the risk to the tenant, but it would merely entail that the tenant have to move. That move would not have to happen immediately. Said move would not end up costing the tenant continual costs and losses over the time the tenant spends there before moving.

It's more likely that the tenant will experience no issues in an apartment since the continuing stream of income gives the property value. ( If renting a single-family house, evicting the tenant may or may not add value. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It would make life interesting if a federal law were passed that said:

"If a landlord ... other party's credit ..."
It would also make the price of rentals go up. Chances are, a larger deposit would also tend to be required. Instead of getting a free month or two rent, asking for a month or two rent in advance might become the norm.

That would certainly be interesting.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 11-26-2014 at 02:55 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 02:35 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
It's more likely that the tenant will experience no issues in an apartment since the continuing stream of income gives the property value. ( If renting a single-family house, evicting the tenant may or may not add value. )It would also make the price of rentals go up. Chances are, a larger deposit would also tend to be required. Instead of getting a free month or two rent, asking for a month or two rent in advance might become the norm.

That would certainly be interesting.
Yeah, I can see why landlords might have a legitimate reason for wanting to look at credit reports. But I have difficulty thinking of few legitimate reasons why prospective employers would need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: