U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM

231 posts, read 771,913 times

Advertisements

I live on 29th Ave N. and I never smell it here, and I've never heard one of my neighbors even complain about it. There are apartments near the plant that get regular exposure from it. You might want to avoid it if you are sensitive to smells.

I agree you might want to examine an apartment, before you send deposit money. You never know what you are going to get, even if the outside looks nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 PM

47 posts, read 73,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
FYI I'd avoid North Fargo past 25th Ave N. The stench from the wastewater treatment plant can be bad at times
If the wind is right, you'll get the warm aroma of rotting beets from the sugarbeet processing plant in Moorhead too...

Old 11-30-2013, 05:43 PM

511 posts, read 767,542 times
Well I got a basement studio on North Broadway. I am keeping my old1 ton utility truck and driving up. I will see Christmas in Fargo.CheersQazulight

Old 12-07-2013, 09:18 PM

Well tested out the truck, found one of the power steering hoses leaking. Everything else is looking good. The truck came with a block heater. I tested it. It works but is only a 500 watt unit. I found that the windshield washer reservoir is leaking. It seems to hold some but not much. I don't have time to fix it so I will buy a bottle of fluid once I leave Texas (You can only get fluid good to 20 degrees in Texas) and buy a bottle and keep it with me.

I don't have ant really warm clothes so I will stop when I get further north, I will be looking for good under armor and a good Carhart coat, and some good cold weather boots. They don't stock the really cold weather gear down here.

I was hoping to buy one of those winter grill covers but I can find nothing online. I guess that when it gets real cold I will take the grill loose and slip some rigid foam board over the AC condenser to slow the air flow into the engine compartment.

4 days and a wake up.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Block heater - sounds good. I dont plug my pickup in for an overnight, but will do so if more than 2 nights in current weather, if left outside. (below zero at night and most of day for last week/10 days).

More important is condition of battery and the prudent practice of making sure the vehicle gets run/started every hrs. I tell my girls if they cant plug it in, go run it for 20-30 min once a day.

Not sure about the age/condition of your trucks engine (oil leaks/use) but synthetic oil has been awesome for winter use.. Guess I have been using synthetics since Mobile 1 came out in the 80's.. Go Amzoil...

Grill cover if want, use a Pizza box or piece of cardboard in pinch..

If your coming up the I35/I29 corridor, you can start looking for good cold weather clothes in Omaha area (plan a stop at Cabelas and get everything you need and more..).... Starts to get some good easy access to the farming/ranching rural life clothing stores..

Old 12-10-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak7mm View Post
Block heater - sounds good. I dont plug my pickup in for an overnight, but will do so if more than 2 nights in current weather, if left outside. (below zero at night and most of day for last week/10 days).

More important is condition of battery and the prudent practice of making sure the vehicle gets run/started every hrs. I tell my girls if they cant plug it in, go run it for 20-30 min once a day.

Not sure about the age/condition of your trucks engine (oil leaks/use) but synthetic oil has been awesome for winter use.. Guess I have been using synthetics since Mobile 1 came out in the 80's.. Go Amzoil...

Grill cover if want, use a Pizza box or piece of cardboard in pinch..

If your coming up the I35/I29 corridor, you can start looking for good cold weather clothes in Omaha area (plan a stop at Cabelas and get everything you need and more..).... Starts to get some good easy access to the farming/ranching rural life clothing stores..
Awesome, Thanks.

Omaha was my plan. I think I have a set of article coveralls coming. I still don't have the boots. I also will need a good ice scraper.

I have a question about the lakes out west on the Missouri River, maybe I should post it on the general North Dakota forum.

As there are only 700,000 thousand or so people in North Dakota it would seem that there would be an abundance of fish in those lakes and that they would pretty peaceful. Is this so?

Cheers
Qazulight (not a good fisherman, but hey, if they jump in the boat.....)

Old 12-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Qazulight,

Now your talking.. The Cabelas in Omaha is right off the 680 bypass, google the Cabelas website. Get your boots, some ice fishing gear at the same time and a whole bunch of other great stuff you may or may not need.. Lol..

I used to be a hardcore ice fishing guy and will find plenty off it up here.. Fishing the Missouri/Sakakawea system is simply world class fishing year round... Plenty of other prairie lakes and ponds to hit around the area too for Northern Pike, Crappie, etc... You want to fish, "Sak" is the place to go, you can find peace on that lake real easy.... You have further questions on ice fishing, fire away.. It's your post..

Rod

Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Well, all packed. I have some jelly and laundry soap and body wash buried deep in the trailer. I hope it doesn't freeze too bad before I can unload. I have some soda in the U-Haul also, but I will pull them out the first night, maybe around Kansas City or Omaha. It depends on how much time I make.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Woke up, warmed up truck, blower motor not working.

In mechanics shop.

Not a good start.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM

Got the blower motor working in three hours. It took some southern engineering, but it has worked for the last 950 miles. I have made it to Sioux Falls South Dakota. I will make the last run in the morning.

I have found the area from Kansas City to Sioux Falls to be prettier than I had imagined. It is like Dallas, except with a river, and snow.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or