U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:33 PM

511 posts, read 767,542 times

Advertisements

I have just given verbal acceptance of job in Fargo. Tentative start date: 12/16/2013.It is 57 degrees here in East Texas and it is chilly. I am sure this winter is going to be tough. The job will be in the industrial area in North West Fargo. From Google maps it looks like if you go another half mile and there is nothing for a very long way.I will not move my wife or household goods for a few months, so instead of a nice house I just need a bachelor pad, I think. I have seen some effiency apartments for as little as 320 a month, but I saw some nice two bedroom apartments in an old building downtown for 710 that really appealed to me.As I will be alone for a while I was thinking of spending my time getting back in shape both.physically and spiritually. I will be needing a gym, Wieght Watchers, and a good church.I am debating about cars. My current car is an old 2 wheel drive truck. It is a pretty good old truck but just don't see myself driving to North Dakota in it in the winter. I am thinking of selling it and flying up and buying a winter car up there. Or I could buy a ten year old 4 wheel drive Suburbanand drive it up. (You can hardly give a 4 wheel drive Suburban away down here.)Comments, advice welcome.ThanksQazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times
congrats... you should be able to find plenty of used surburbans, 4x4 trucks, etc up here. A rear wheel drive truck can be tricky...but doable....but you need to put sand tubs or other weight in the back. Otherwise....your backend will tend to slide a lot.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,647 times
Will you be working in Fargo's industrial park, which is in northwestern Fargo, or will you be working near Cargill, which is in the North part of the City of West Fargo? There's a bit of difference.
I know Fargo more than West Fargo, but most of the amenities you're looking for are available off of 45th street, which serves partially as a boundary between the two cities. But 45th is carrying more & more traffic all the time. If you're in NW Fargo, I'd look at the areas around the Northport shopping Center or the Trollwood park area in North Fargo.
Many churches in the metro--but what to you defines a "good church"? Any particular denomination? Lutherans abound up here . . .

Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
Will you be working in Fargo's industrial park, which is in northwestern Fargo, or will you be working near Cargill, which is in the North part of the City of West Fargo? There's a bit of difference.
I know Fargo more than West Fargo, but most of the amenities you're looking for are available off of 45th street, which serves partially as a boundary between the two cities. But 45th is carrying more & more traffic all the time. If you're in NW Fargo, I'd look at the areas around the Northport shopping Center or the Trollwood park area in North Fargo.
Many churches in the metro--but what to you defines a "good church"? Any particular denomination? Lutherans abound up here . . .

I think it is near the Phoenix international corporation and the National Guard Armory.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1744+...58102&t=h&z=17

I will be looking for a non-denominational church. I will spend my time visiting around.

I like to walk, here in East Texas I walk about a mile and half to work, but because this place in Fargo is so far from anywhere, and the weather can be a bit nippy, I think I will have to drive. If I get in a car, I might as well drive, 10 minutes or 20 minutes is all the same to me. So I would be unwilling to give up anything to shorten the commute. Google maps indicates that the closest cheapest apartments will be at least an eight minute commute, so if I had to drive from downtown it doesn't seem that it would be a big problem.

I am guessing I will need to stay in an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks until I can figure out where to rent, then I will either buy some furniture or have my old odds and ends shipped up.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I think it is near the Phoenix international corporation and the National Guard Armory.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1744+...58102&t=h&z=17

I will be looking for a non-denominational church. I will spend my time visiting around.

I like to walk, here in East Texas I walk about a mile and half to work, but because this place in Fargo is so far from anywhere, and the weather can be a bit nippy, I think I will have to drive. If I get in a car, I might as well drive, 10 minutes or 20 minutes is all the same to me. So I would be unwilling to give up anything to shorten the commute. Google maps indicates that the closest cheapest apartments will be at least an eight minute commute, so if I had to drive from downtown it doesn't seem that it would be a big problem.

I am guessing I will need to stay in an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks until I can figure out where to rent, then I will either buy some furniture or have my old odds and ends shipped up.

Cheers
Qazulight
Sounds like a good plan. You could bike to work if you want depending on where you live in the summer but certainly for the cold season you need a dependable vehicle. There are several extended stays to choose from

https://www.google.com/search?q=farg...ient=firefox-a

There are several near NDSU east of where you will work....and a cluster down near 45 St S and I-94....I see you can take 45 St due north to work.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,647 times
I worked in that area for two years, and had colleagues who were avid cyclists. They made the commute by bike--twice. The semi and heavy equipment traffic in that area is fairly intense--by Fargo standards anyway. There are no bike lanes whatsoever in the industrial park and the commercial drivers just are not looking for bikes or pedestrians.

Bethel Church on S 25th St at 30th Ave S is one of the bigger non-denominational/evangelical churches in FM. There are a couple of smaller missional/millenial focused church plants in the area as well--River City Church in Downtown Fargo comes to mind.
Dan's right on the extended stay options; 45th Street moves quickly from industrial to retail/hotel areas.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
I worked in that area for two years, and had colleagues who were avid cyclists. They made the commute by bike--twice. The semi and heavy equipment traffic in that area is fairly intense--by Fargo standards anyway. There are no bike lanes whatsoever in the industrial park and the commercial drivers just are not looking for bikes or pedestrians.

Bethel Church on S 25th St at 30th Ave S is one of the bigger non-denominational/evangelical churches in FM. There are a couple of smaller missional/millenial focused church plants in the area as well--River City Church in Downtown Fargo comes to mind.
Dan's right on the extended stay options; 45th Street moves quickly from industrial to retail/hotel areas.
thanks for the clarification on the biking situation in that area. Seems like our industrial park area as it was built without any sidewalks or bike paths and yes heavy truck traffic. Not the best for biking.

Dan

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM

Finally got the job in writing. The 16th of December is the report date. Still haven't decided on down town or out near West Fargo.

I am thinking of buying a used 4 wd Suburban here, or flying up and buying a winter beater there. In any case I think I will spring for a garage if I can get one. It will be a shock to my system for a while, I might as well ease into it.

Today, like most days I walked the 25 minutes to work, this morning I wore a flannel shirt as a jacket and this evening I just had my short sleeve polo shirt. In fact I just got some more winter rye down in front of the rain, and I noticed my turnip greens are coming up.

I guess I will be spending money on some warm clothes soon.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Ok, have a 4WD Suburban on line ready to be purchased. I know it is over kill, but I don't want a truck and I do want to be able to tow and throw a canoe on top. Besides, it is a pretty nice old car, well taken car of and it will not cost me an arm and a leg. (Or maybe it will at 15 mpg)

Anyway I think I need to make the choice on aparment today. Either a studio at Amrock apartments at

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2620+...58103&t=h&z=18

or a basement Studio at 1402 North Broadway, Fargo, ND

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1402+...4bE2JicFPuFC6w

Decisions! Decisions!

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,739,554 times
I'd exercise due diligence some of the rentals in the Fargo can be pretty tore up. I know it might sound snobby, but I chucked the price point rental out the window when I started to look. I certainly did not want to spend all of my money, but the extra $100-200 can be a huge step up in security and comfort.

FYI I'd avoid North Fargo past 25th Ave N. The stench from the wastewater treatment plant can be bad at times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or