U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 06:03 PM

10 posts, read 19,939 times

Advertisements

I live here in F/M and your initial post is accurate. It MAY also be the college you attended that may be hindering you. I am a graduate of Rasmussen College with a double major in Business and cannot get anything here in the F/M area that is Bachelor level. I know a handful of people who have graduated from this college with the same frustration. Be open to moving where your occupation is needed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 9,538 times
My question is why on earth would you want to live in Fargo. LOL! Kidding... kind of...

Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM

511 posts, read 771,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjulie99 View Post
My question is why on earth would you want to live in Fargo. LOL! Kidding... kind of...
You know, that is a good question.

I am a recent transplant from Texas. I did not come to Fargo because of anything in Fargo, I came because no one else wanted to and I wanted the position.

However, I have found

1. The people are friendly.

2. The town is well kept.

3. Housing is reasonable

4. Traffic is not terrible

5. There are some decent places to get away close by in Minnesota.

As I only got here in December I do not know that the weather will be better in the rest of the year, however I have been told that people spend a great deal of time outside in the summer, that is not something that happens in Texas.

I have also noticed here on City Data, that places like Fargo, and Lubbock, mid sized cities with growing economies and lousy climates seem to filled with happy people and places like Southern Florida and Southern California with great climates and lousy economies seemed to filled with unhappy people.

I guess it depends on what you want. Personally I didn't come here to stay, however I think I will enjoy the years I spend here.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM

90 posts, read 222,555 times
At this day in age, you take what you can get. A lot of places will say that "their city is the best at this and this and this" and blah blah.
Fargo does have its advantages though, but as far as constantly hearing how wealthy it is getting and how much you can get paid, give me a break.
And brr.. today was cold.. as well as tomorrow..

Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 17,139 times
Yea, I've had to constantly deal with family members who believe that because of the oil, everyone in ND is making good wages. I stand by my original point that Fargo has opportunities, for some, but not all. There are very very few jobs or employers willing to hire a college graduate with less than 3 years of experience, which is impossible to have without an entry level job. Believe me, I would take a low paying entry level position in my field if I could ever find one, but I'm stuck here until I graduate school.

Honestly though, the number of $8-$10/hr service jobs far outweigh the number of skilled jobs for college graduates. My partner who has been unable to find work in his field is going to be starting school for IT Networking while I finish up my degree in Graphic Communication. It just blows my mind though, even in the high demand field of IT/Networking, how few jobs in this area are available to entry level graduates. While the lack of entry level work isn't particular to Fargo, just look in any major city over 1 million and you will still see a good amount of entry level jobs available that don't require 3-5 years of experience.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,767,039 times
If the OP thinks his Rasmussen College degree is going to carry him to some lofty salary he's going to be for a world of hurt

Old 02-05-2014, 12:19 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,986,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklo4 View Post
It just blows my mind though, even in the high demand field of IT/Networking, how few jobs in this area are available to entry level graduates.
It may not just be Fargo and IT/Networking/Comp Science may not be as good of a field (in terms of job market) as you think it is. The "secret" that lucrative jobs and careers are to be had in STEM/computer fields has been public knowledge for at least a decade and a great many people have trained to enter those fields. Perhaps if you have several years of quality experience it's a great field, but for entry-level it might be tough.

One of the most difficulty realizations young people are going to have today is that "you are not that special". We were all raised to believe that we were special snowflakes and that we were above average, but in reality most of us are simply not very special or unique. You might discover that in spite of all your higher education and ability that you are part of a pool of hundreds of thousands of similarly-situated people all competing for entry-level jobs in your field.

Overproduction of college graduates (in almost every field) is not a Fargo or North Dakota issue. It's a national issue that has affected the job market in every state and city.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 17,139 times
First of all, I do not attend Rasmussen College nor do I think I am "special" in any unwarranted way. I don't understand what the issue is with you older generations that insist on painting all millennials in a negative way...Anyone can play the blame game and it really sheds light on the lack of maturity and responsibility of older generations (see I can stereotype people too). Our generation is inheriting one of the worst economic situations in the last century. Finding work has nothing to do with how "special" I may think I am, there are millions of people living in poverty and unable to find good jobs, highly talented/educated or not. For many people, including myself, it doesn't mean a lofty salary, it means just trying to get by and gain some valuable experience. The economic problem isn't as simple as you might think. It's most definitely not an oversupply of college students, it's a lack of demand in the economy which is hindering job creation by firms.

Also, I don't know where you got the idea that IT or Computer Science isn't a good career field, it's one of the highest in demand and fastest growing fields in the US.

This post was not intended to address the issues of every city in America, I am really only concerned that Fargo has had a reputation the past couple of years of being a great place to "make it" and I have found it very difficult to gain entry-level employment while living here.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 15,788 times
Fargo (and ND in general) was truly an economic joke, prior to the oil boom. While those working in Western ND are enjoying an improved wage situation, the Eastern end of the State...is still a joke! I recall statistics which told of this part of the country being one of the leaders in people needing to hold more than one job, to survive. North Dakota was also at the top (or close to it) in LOSS of population, prior to the boom. Those who have lived in the Fargo area for more than 30, 40 years can tell you...little has changed in the way of improved pay or seeing a bump in the LOCAL economy. It's still a city that (largely) pays a laughable wage. They get away with it because they have about 35,000 college kids rolling through every 9 months. Most of them are subsidized by mommy and daddy (or Uncle Sam) and only need the job for pocket money/personal expenses. They graduate...and vacate!

I have no idea how FARGO would have gained any sort of rep as a great place to "make it". I think people view North Dakota as being very small...and associate Fargo as the primary point of reference for the State. Sadly, Fargo has virtually ZERO to do with the REAL money making opportunities in N.D. The real money making difference can only be seen after about a 5-6 hour drive from Fargo.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 PM

3,116 posts, read 6,986,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlomostad View Post
I have no idea how FARGO would have gained any sort of rep as a great place to "make it".
...The job markets and economies in other cities and states tanked. High rates of unemployment abounded. But Fargo, being part of North Dakota and having ice cold weather that chases away the riff-raff ended up having a relatively good employment/job market. It's better to have a $12/hour customer job in a low-cost-of-living place like Fargo than no job elsewhere. In the past several years the media has reported about tens of thousands of people applying for poverty wage jobs upon the opening of a new big box store in other cities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or