U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,579 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have been through this thread under Fargo and learned a lot. Thanks to all! But I still haven't got a clear answer to below , which would help me calculate how much I can save per month living in fargo.

( I'm Asian US dual citizen , who is 'after relocating to Fargo in few months' looking at doing some part time jobs to start with)

Expenses
Monthly rental (cheapest) = $ 400?
Monthly Electricity (cheapest) =$ ?
Monthly Internet (cheapest) = $ 49?
Monthly gas (within fargo) = $ a range ?
Monthly Food (cheapest) = If eating out ?
If home cooking ? for 1 person
Other Cost =

Income
Per hour for a MacDonalds Job = $ ?
Per hour for a Waiter job= $ ?
Per hour for other non oil related part time job options= $ ?

I know I'm asking a lot , but please , I would appreciate this input ......

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 AM

511 posts, read 767,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggermaneap View Post
Hi All,

I have been through this thread under Fargo and learned a lot. Thanks to all! But I still haven't got a clear answer to below , which would help me calculate how much I can save per month living in fargo.

( I'm Asian US dual citizen , who is 'after relocating to Fargo in few months' looking at doing some part time jobs to start with)

Expenses
Monthly rental (cheapest) = $ 400?
Monthly Electricity (cheapest) =$ ?
Monthly Internet (cheapest) = $ 49?
Monthly gas (within fargo) = $ a range ?
Monthly Food (cheapest) = If eating out ?
If home cooking ? for 1 person
Other Cost =

Income
Per hour for a MacDonalds Job = $ ?
Per hour for a Waiter job= $ ?
Per hour for other non oil related part time job options= $ ?

I know I'm asking a lot , but please , I would appreciate this input ......

Thanks !
You will not save anything. However, you will get by. I had an apartment on Broadway. I was a basement studio, all bills paid except internet. It was 360 a month. It did not have a stove. Depending on your car and where your gas can be as low as 50 dollars a month. (I drive from downtown at the river to the Northwest Corner of Fargo at 45 street and 19th ave. It is a 10 mile round trip which runs me about a tank a month when I toss in the extra running to the store and such.

However, you can move to West Fargo and do well on the rent also, if you work as a laborer in the industrial park you can make 12 to 14 an hour. If you are planning on going to college, then sharing a house near the college makes better sense.

If you are just planning on working, and can do manual labor, there are inside factory jobs in the industrial park and living in West Fargo will cut driving down to nil. However, if you like living, walking bike riding, and social activities, then down by the river is where you want to live.

Finally, if you are not dead set on Fargo, Bobcat is hiring a little ways out of town. 16 an hour to start and 20 an hour after you join the union in 3 months. Overtime all the time. No weight over 30 pounds is allowed to be lifted.

On the other hand, a really cool company, Cirrus Aircraft is looking for people in Grand Forks. They are paying 16 an hour I think. They are starting to build a new personal jet.

Finally, Tecton on the corner of 44th street and 15th avenue has a sign out that they are having an onsite job fair.

Gas is about 3.50 to 4.00 dollars a gallon. Don't bring a diesel car, number 1 diesel can run you 5 dollars a gallon in the winter.

I find eating out is not as cheap as Texas, but not too bad. Groceries are not cheap, but they are not crazy either.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,579 times
Thanks Qazulight , This is some great insight !

Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 10,021 times
Media is lying the economy is not booming here, I'll challenge any of these employers selling this bull I've called them out multiple times its not the truth. North Dakota says hey we cant find anyone to work for $7 an hour so they say hey news media we need cheap labor okay we will air these lies then it gets broadcasted then people come flooding here to find out its not true. Met so many people coming from the bakkens to fargo its sad they are like they lied to me. I was like yep welcome to North Dakota they need warm bodies to do the job.

I was born and raised here best of luck if you do come up here don't forget to plug in your car in the winter because it gets so cold up here your car will refuse to start otherwise will sit in a warm garage for two days to thaw out.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:14 PM

511 posts, read 767,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elberto View Post
Media is lying the economy is not booming here, I'll challenge any of these employers selling this bull I've called them out multiple times its not the truth. North Dakota says hey we cant find anyone to work for $7 an hour so they say hey news media we need cheap labor okay we will air these lies then it gets broadcasted then people come flooding here to find out its not true. Met so many people coming from the bakkens to fargo its sad they are like they lied to me. I was like yep welcome to North Dakota they need warm bodies to do the job.

I was born and raised here best of luck if you do come up here don't forget to plug in your car in the winter because it gets so cold up here your car will refuse to start otherwise will sit in a warm garage for two days to thaw out.
<sarc on>

Yeah, nothing here. Stay away! No that sign out side of the plant across the street from my job is a typo, they are not offering 14.50 an hour to start, it is 7. No they are all lying.

Like the add in today' Forum for a 1,000 dollar sign on bonus for a plumber in Detroit Lakes. Polar Communications isn't looking for a combo tech for between 31 and 64 a year. 30 dollars an hour, it is a lye! A lie I tell you! Nobody can live on 64 K a year in Fargo, why rent is outrages! I mean a two bedroom apartment with heat and parking will run you, oh, 850 a month! Terrible, it is terrible. And the crime!

We got a notice at our apartment the other day, we now have to lock our cars and not leave money and laptops laying out on the seats! Terrible! Just Terrible! Stay away, don't come here!

Cheers
Qazulight

<sarc off>

Old 10-06-2014, 08:22 AM

125 posts, read 204,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
You will not save anything. However, you will get by. I had an apartment on Broadway. I was a basement studio, all bills paid except internet. It was 360 a month. It did not have a stove. Depending on your car and where your gas can be as low as 50 dollars a month. (I drive from downtown at the river to the Northwest Corner of Fargo at 45 street and 19th ave. It is a 10 mile round trip which runs me about a tank a month when I toss in the extra running to the store and such.

However, you can move to West Fargo and do well on the rent also, if you work as a laborer in the industrial park you can make 12 to 14 an hour. If you are planning on going to college, then sharing a house near the college makes better sense.

If you are just planning on working, and can do manual labor, there are inside factory jobs in the industrial park and living in West Fargo will cut driving down to nil. However, if you like living, walking bike riding, and social activities, then down by the river is where you want to live.

Finally, if you are not dead set on Fargo, Bobcat is hiring a little ways out of town. 16 an hour to start and 20 an hour after you join the union in 3 months. Overtime all the time. No weight over 30 pounds is allowed to be lifted.

On the other hand, a really cool company, Cirrus Aircraft is looking for people in Grand Forks. They are paying 16 an hour I think. They are starting to build a new personal jet.

Finally, Tecton on the corner of 44th street and 15th avenue has a sign out that they are having an onsite job fair.

Gas is about 3.50 to 4.00 dollars a gallon. Don't bring a diesel car, number 1 diesel can run you 5 dollars a gallon in the winter.

I find eating out is not as cheap as Texas, but not too bad. Groceries are not cheap, but they are not crazy either.

Cheers
Qazulight
Whoa nice post, great information, so helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or