Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,274 times

Advertisements

hi guys
i'm an international student and i plan to move from San Antonio, Texas to Fargo, North Dakota to study.
The reason for this is because of better education . I plan to study at NDSU. Is it difficult to live in ND ?
Besides, my major is computer science, so are there any IT companies for me to get an internship ? Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Hi,

I live only about 125 miles from Fargo. Go there quite often for Dr appointments at the VA hospital.

Prior to moving up here I lived in Austin. The weather does take a bit to get used to. As I am long retired I can't give you much information about NDSU or any information about IT companies. However I can speak a little about the climate differences.

To simplify it, If an old man, like me can survive up here, I am certain a younger person should be able to. The population in Fargo is very diverse and NDSU does have numerous foreign students.

If you have any difficulties it might be in adapting to small city life. This is quite different from San Antonio. The Texas City I find to be most like Fargo is Denton.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIETTRAN View Post
hi guys
i'm an international student and i plan to move from San Antonio, Texas to Fargo, North Dakota to study.
The reason for this is because of better education . I plan to study at NDSU. Is it difficult to live in ND ?
Besides, my major is computer science, so are there any IT companies for me to get an internship ? Thank you very much
NDSU supposedly has a very good computer science department, as well as EEE.

Fargo has a big Microsoft branch, as well as numerous startup companies. For programming interns, it is potentially a great place (exceeding expectations).

Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Hi,

I live only about 125 miles from Fargo. Go there quite often for Dr appointments at the VA hospital.

Prior to moving up here I lived in Austin. The weather does take a bit to get used to. As I am long retired I can't give you much information about NDSU or any information about IT companies. However I can speak a little about the climate differences.

To simplify it, If an old man, like me can survive up here, I am certain a younger person should be able to. The population in Fargo is very diverse and NDSU does have numerous foreign students.

If you have any difficulties it might be in adapting to small city life. This is quite different from San Antonio. The Texas City I find to be most like Fargo is Denton.
The population is very diverse? You mean that there are lots of people who are from all walks of life ?
In your opinion, is living cost cheaper to live in Fargo than Texas or it's just the same ? Thank you sir

Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
NDSU supposedly has a very good computer science department, as well as EEE.

Fargo has a big Microsoft branch, as well as numerous startup companies. For programming interns, it is potentially a great place (exceeding expectations).
Really ? That's wonderful. Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The population is very diverse? You mean that there are lots of people who are from all walks of life ?
In your opinion, is living cost cheaper to live in Fargo than Texas or it's just the same ? Thank you sir
Fargo now has a rather large International population. There are quite a few people from Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine. As you might expect there is also a large number of people with Scandinavian, German and Russian heritage. Quite a variety of ethnic Cultures.

When I first came up here 6 years ago, the cost of living was considerably lower than in Texas. But because of the "Oil-Boom" wages have gone way up along with prices. It has been hurting those of us on a fixed income.

I believe rents now are quite higher than in Texas. We bought our house for cash. Similar type houses seem to now be selling for about 5 times what we paid for ours.

While Rents are not as high in Fargo as they are in Williston, they are higher than what they were just 2 years ago.

Quote:
The Highest Rent in the U.S. Is Not in New York or San Francisco

It's in North Dakota

Everybody knows that in cities like New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, the rent is too damn high. But turns out it’s even higher in Williston, North Dakota.
SOURCE

I believe it is safe to say that rents in ND are now higher than what you will find in Texas.

Some Current rents in Fargo and vicinity

Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
hi guys
I am from Texas, came up during the winter last year. I live downtown. NDSU is a big player downtown, there are a lot of young people and it is fairly diverse. However, you are not going to find a lot of ethnic focused entrainment.

On the other hand, nobody has a preconceived notion of who or what you are. (except for native Americans, not saying that anyone likes or dislikes native Americans, it is just that it is the only established minority in the area. )

Budget extra money for clothes, for getting a block heater in your car, if you have one.

I will say, while the cost of living has gone up, the wages for IT have lagged some. So, while there are some big IT shops, you may find the wages a little disappointing.

Also, I suggest, if you have the skills, study Big Data inside of the Computer Science field. That is where the money is, but you better have some math skills, and I mean have the ability really make higher math sing.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I am from Texas, came up during the winter last year. I live downtown. NDSU is a big player downtown, there are a lot of young people and it is fairly diverse. However, you are not going to find a lot of ethnic focused entrainment.

On the other hand, nobody has a preconceived notion of who or what you are. (except for native Americans, not saying that anyone likes or dislikes native Americans, it is just that it is the only established minority in the area. )

Budget extra money for clothes, for getting a block heater in your car, if you have one.

I will say, while the cost of living has gone up, the wages for IT have lagged some. So, while there are some big IT shops, you may find the wages a little disappointing.

Also, I suggest, if you have the skills, study Big Data inside of the Computer Science field. That is where the money is, but you better have some math skills, and I mean have the ability really make higher math sing.
How bad is the winter ? Do school close on bad weather day ?
Thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
How bad is the winter ? Do school close on bad weather day ?
Thanks

A picture is worth 1000 words

I took this video in march of this year. This was the first day of the storm. I took 3 short videos a couple hours apart

I'm in a rural area, I assume Fargo has better snow removal then we have. I was in the house for almost a week until the road was clear enough to drive on.

The winters can be fierce with Temperatures sometimes getting down to 30 degrees below Zero Fahrenheit

You can have snow falls from September through May. Although the ones in September and May are usually very light and melt as fast as it falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo