Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 AM

11 posts, read 15,838 times

Advertisements

Hello folks my fiance and I are looking to relocate in the next year looking in North Dakota and Minnesota I am looking for helpful information on schools( our children range from elementary to high school), safety, rentals at least a 5 bedroom(the average rental price in a decent area) we are taking a big leap being we have never been up that far but we need a positive change in our life we are big on seasons, family activities and enjoying life any information would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Helllo

Yes Fargo is on the ND side and Moorhead MN side of the Red River. F-M and adjacent West Fargo continue to grow steadily. Much of the growth continues to be in the south end of West Fargo where there is a new high school and southwest part of city of Fargo south of 52nd Ave S. Fargo home prices are the lowest in the state....but still may well be a bit more expensive than you are used to. MN has a higher income tax rate than ND....but lower property taxes (at least in comparing Fargo to Moorhead). I live in East Grand Forks MN opposite Grand Forks ND.

Fargo area is a nice place to live and is a clean city and has the major shopping and activities in the region. It is a true regional hub. It has a small zoo....so does Wahpeton to the south. It has Bonazaville - historical farm/museum. Public schools in the area are all good....so no worries there.

One thing caught my eye is the at least 5 BR rental place. That is going to be hard. 3 BR is more typical. House rentals remain harder to come by but in more supply than other cities nearby. Prices I have noticed for 3 BR new apartments are in the 900-1300/mo range with a similar rental home (if available and newer in condition) being a tad more expensive. Your best bet might be a rental townhome such as in Osgood area of far southwest Fargo but also in West Fargo school district.

As you are probably aware we have a wide swing in temperatures through the year. Summers June-Aug highs upper 70s to mid 80s are very common....can be warmer but 90+ days are not too common. Can have very humid days as well but also cold fronts do visit and bring in drier air so humid days dont last forever like in the southeastern US. Fall is a nice time of year but can bring varied weather and some years you can get a few weeks in a row of dry sunny weather with highs in the 60s and 70s and lows in the 40s. Mid to late October....turns cooler with frost/freeze conditions more common....snow can fall on occasion in very late October but not every year and does melt soon. By mid Novermber winter sets in and often you have your first accumulating snow that sticks around -- but in a few years it can wait til Dec 1. Dec-Jan-Feb cold and often windy.....wind chills often the main story. I dont know what is cold to you....but high temperatures can vary from zero to 25 and lows -30 to zero. Extreme days with highs below zero is rare but do occur. Wind on most days can create low wind chills. March is snow melt season and lasts into early April. Spring can be the most variable from sunny and 40s to snow and 20s. By late April to early May leaves are coming out on the trees and your first flowers can bloom....though most wait to plant any flowers til after Memorial Day just to let the soil warm up and avoid a late freeze.

Fargo is in the Red River valley and the RRV is flat and open prairie. But MN lakes and fishing, camping and lake life is a short distance away east toward Detroit Lakes-Fergus Falls.

That's all I got for now...

Dan

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Thank you for the valuable information I think our concern are the rentals how its limited

Old 10-07-2014, 11:21 AM

I was born in Kentucky but have been in this area for 15+ years. I know a bit less about Fargo rental market....I have never lived there. There are some posters here who do live there and could probably shed a bit more light....esp for rental homes. Most homes are rented out by property management companies, here is a google search list....and start looking at availability.

https://www.google.com/search?q=farg...panies&spell=1

Your biggest issue is the number of BR....if that is something you are stuck on. 5 BR homes are not plentiful most places....you can get a few with that many BR if it is a ranch with a finished basement. But again your best bet is the buying route for that, which you are not interested in attm. What job market are you in....that would of course steer you in either MN or ND or other cities. Fargo is pretty far removed from the oil patch and thus housing not quite as limited.....and in general Fargo has the lowest prices of gas, food, rentals, than any other city in the state.

Here would be a pretty common townhome rental 3 BR/2BA

http://prairiepropertymgt.com/listin....I7Mi6oBH.dpbs

Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM

check this

There is one listing for a 5 BR home.... not new but looks ok....

RKAK Realty & Property Management, Inc - Houses For Rent Fargo:

(keep scrolling)

But it is in the far north end near the university and airport. Not a bad area but not the latest and greatest either.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 AM

My fiance is a tattoo artist(not sure if they shine away from that up there) he's also going to school to get his license as a barber and I will be in the medical field (starting school soon as a medical assistant) if that helps any thank you for the useful info

Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_stacy13 View Post
My fiance is a tattoo artist(not sure if they shine away from that up there) he's also going to school to get his license as a barber and I will be in the medical field (starting school soon as a medical assistant) if that helps any thank you for the useful info
just wondering if there was something specific.... Fargo and area is pretty wide open to many different fields. Medical fields are always looking. There is a large new Sanford Hospital being built now in far southwest Fargo near West Fargo border. Plus you have Essentia in Fargo. Tattoo's arent frowned upon here....Growing up in the south myself (I always thought Kentucky was southern)....it is more conservative there than here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

North Dakota has lower income tax rates than MN.....and with the ND oil money there have been proposals talked about lately about possibly eliminating the income tax in ND (though that is just campaign talk now). Vehicle registration fees you will find cheaper in ND too. We choose to build in MN due to a smaller town and at the time lower real estate prices/lower land prices. I live about 70 miles north of F-M area.

--Dan

Old 10-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Very good to know me personally I was born and raised in New York and lived in Georgia since 2005 so we are in dire need of a change and call me crazy but I am a huge fan of Grumpy old men the movie lol and always thought of living in a area like that haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo