U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 AM

26 posts, read 46,241 times

Advertisements

Tulips? Really? That would be wonderful if I could find lots of tulips! My mom is crazy about them and it would be nice if she could enjoy seeing tulips in NoDak. She is very convinced there is nothing in this state, and I am determined to show my friends and family there is a lot of beauty in this state.

I really appreciate your detailed responses! It makes me more excited each day.

I can't wait to start a new life in a new place. I hope it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM

418 posts, read 1,186,330 times
Tulips, as hardy bulbs, easily make it here along with shrub roses, daffodils, and many perennials. The Fargo Park District does a decent job of plantings of annuals for color throughout the city, though we are lacking in a true botanical garden (and particularly a conservatory that would bring a bit a green in the depths of winter).
I personally think that early May is one of the prettier times in Fargo. There are some neighborhoods, as well as Island Park, that abound in flowering crab apple trees.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Woodrow LI, sorry to hear about your past hardship, but I am glad to see you found someone you can truly relate to! She seems like a good match for you.

Thank you for telling me more about the flowers, dutchinnd. I would hope to see lots of flowers because my mom would want to find places to take good photos when she visits me.

Qazulight, I started reading that book, "How Fargo of You".

....Pump gas before you pay? Is that true of Fargo? This book talks about people being so nice that it's almost unheard of where I live. Is that how the culture is here? Everyone is in a helpful, happy mood? I could really make a perfect home here.

Can you tell me more about the floods? Does that affect downtown Fargo?

Does Fargo still have that small city feel? I like living in a smaller community with nice people. It just seems more relaxing. The small town America has been a long-time fantasy of mine.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:28 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,527,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Woodrow LI, sorry to hear about your past hardship, but I am glad to see you found someone you can truly relate to! She seems like a good match for you.

Thank you for telling me more about the flowers, dutchinnd. I would hope to see lots of flowers because my mom would want to find places to take good photos when she visits me.

....Pump gas before you pay? Is that true of Fargo? This book talks about people being so nice that it's almost unheard of where I live. Is that how the culture is here? Everyone is in a helpful, happy mood? I could really make a perfect home here.

Does Fargo still have that small city feel? I like living in a smaller community with nice people. It just seems more relaxing. The small town America has been a long-time fantasy of mine.
Small city is a matter of perspective. To me Fargo is a large city, but I live in an area in which the entire county only has about 4,000 people.

I guess to most people Fargo would have a "Small Town" feel.
As for the annual floods I have not seen them have any effect on the residential or down town areas.
I go to the VA Hospital in Fargo nearly once a week and so far the only reason I've had to cancel appointments have been because of snow, not floods

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 PM

418 posts, read 1,186,330 times
I've come to describe Fargo as a small town of 100,000 people. There tend not to be that many degrees of separation between folks which leads to it feeling like a small town. It's either that or there are many gossips so everyone knows other people's business (or they think they do or they heard someone say something . . .). It used to be that almost every day was a slow news day, so you had a lot of human interest stories broadcast, which also added to the small town feel.
Yes, you can pump before you pay; drive-offs happen occasionally, but are recorded on camera with the license plate #, so only really stupid people try it.
Flooding: I've lived here for the major floods of '97, '09, '11 with lesser ones in '01, '06, '10, and '13. The City of Fargo really does know what it's doing when fighting floods and having the gifts of extraordinary leadership in Mark Bittner (City Engineer), Pat Zavoral (City Administrator), & Denny Walaker (former head of Public Works and former mayor, recently deceased). There were some tense moments in '97 and '09, but each year more areas of the City are taken out of danger due to property removal or permanent levees being built. The last major stretch of unprotected river bank is on the east edge of downtown, but preparatory construction started this fall for a permanent flood wall there. That said, I would never live or build on the Red River. Ever.
Here's a link to the City's webpage on preparing for floods:
Information About Your Property - City of Fargo
You can play with the interactive flood map to see how high the river would need to be --if the levees failed-- to affect your property.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,441,402 times
Sorry, I don't live close, but I had to smile. I grew up in what I thought, was a large town. We had 2,000 people. We used to do our major shopping in a town that was nearly 18,000 people. That was a major city to us. Today its much different. I live in a town of 800. I ride a 4 wheeler as my primary transportation and drive it, 21 miles into town to do my grocery shopping, in a town that is 18,500 people. To me, that is a major city. Thank God I only have to go into town, once a month. There is no need to go in more often than that.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 PM

511 posts, read 768,421 times
Quote:

Most of the gas stations now have card readers, in that book or in the next the author actually explains why Fargo went to Pre-Paid. Mainly it was because the police realized that they couldn't legally give out the information to the station owners, so the station owners would have to file a complaint against the drive off to get the money. So instead of being mean, they just started putting in the card readers.

A couple of times the reader hasn't worked and I tried to pre-pay. The girl just looked at me funny.

Fargo grew 16 percent last year, most of it to the west and south west. I find that part of Fargo to have a more Americana feel, with people being less nice on the road and less friendly. That may be bias on my part, I just really like North Fargo and downtown.

As far as small town. I lived in a small town in Texas, 2100 and then moved to a big town, 32,000. I find that Fargo is like the town of 32,000 except it has more going on, and is more friendly with less crime. On the other hand, Fargo has one really big difference, I don't about where you are from, but in Texas there was always the "bad side of town" or the part that everyone had moved out of. In Fargo there are some less well off neighborhoods, but they are sprinkled throughout the town, and they are not cesspools of crime. Also, because of the bad winters, people don't have a tendency to move out of town to a suburb and then drive back in. Detroit Lakes is only 40 miles away, and there is good road between Detroit Lakes and Fargo, but there are few who make the commute. I am not positive of why, but I know I didn't consider it because in the winter you might not be able to get there from here, and besides, why?

I think I would say Fargo is more like what a city should be like. It has parks, parks you can walk in without a Taser. It has a downtown, a downtown that has a few homeless, but one you can walk around in and that is alive both night and day. It has outlying residential areas, but the people on the outskirts of town feel like they are part of the town, and the inner city is not something despised, but rather enjoyed.

Unlike some cities where they go on forever, you can leave Fargo, in 45 minutes you can be at Maplewood state park, or the Sheyenne National Grass land. Except for the sprawl to the southwest, the North and Northwest sides of the city end somewhat abruptly, and farms take over. Of course to the east is the river, and across it Minnesota and Moorhead which really part of the culture and economy, has some sprawl to the east, (The New Walmart is in Dilworth and I didn't know that I had left Moorhead and entered Dilworth for 6 months.)

The apartment I am in has a view of the river. It has never been flooded. However, it is scheduled to be demolished next year for the new flood wall that is being built. I think where you are planning on living and the Sanford Hospital should not be a problem. You might see some flooding in the garage underground if we have a massive amount of snow and it all melts at the same time, but I think you would have plenty of time to move your car.

Right now we have no snow on the ground, I was hoping for a white Christmas, but it seems unlikely at this time. Last year was very cold, we had about 18 inches to two feet of snow before we got a thaw and it melted off. That was not a lot of snow. I have been told that when Fargo has warmer winters they get more snow. In 2009, they had about 6 feet of snow, and that was the contributor to the flooding. I am a little concerned we may have a massive amount of snow this year, but we haven't seen it yet.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:59 PM

511 posts, read 768,421 times
Quote:

A little more on crime. Here three woman were assaulted, one of them sexually.

Three NDSU Students Physically/Sexually Assaulted at Knifepoint | WDAZ

Note this quote.

"Authorities say the man entered an unlocked door of the apartment and ordered the women at knifepoint to take off their clothes."

So, it feels safe enough that the girls did not lock their door. Be sure and lock your door.

Please.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:26 PM

82 posts, read 245,402 times
Hello. I moved to Fargo this summer from Florida. While I cannot answer all your questions, having no experience with nursing wages or skiing, I'll give you my opinions on what I know.

Weather. You get used to it, but not the way that everyone else is used to it. Not the first year anyways. It's a gradual process. I used to be the same as you, never having felt anything colder than 30 degrees, and bundling every warm item I own when you can start seeing your breath outside. Now 30 degrees, I just need a jacket, some light gloves, and a cute scarf over whatever I want to wear.... and a good hat. My ears have yet to begin getting adjusted.

But its been chilly here for a few months now, and I have had time adjust. More than anything, you layer clothing. What I typically wear in 0 degree weather when I have to walk farther than just to my car: 2 layers of pants (usually leggings under jeans or pants), 2 layers of socks, boots or thick sneakers, a tank top, and long sleeved top, a regular coat, a thick coat, 1 sometimes 2 layers of gloves, a thick fuzzy scarf, and at least 2 layers on my head/ears (typically with 2 cloth fuzzy hats) and then putting the hood on my coat on too. It does sound excessive, and is more layers than the locals wear. But it is totally doable. For some reason the upper part of my thighs are the hardest part to get warm. Definitely bring a coat that goes down to your knees, or buy one quickly when you get here.

Oh, and yes, people wear thermals. And mittens. And goofy looking but ubber warm hats. Anything that will keep you super warm, you'll see locals wearing.

People. It feels like an awkward eclectic mix of really nice people all from different walks in life. Some people have lived there their whole life, and some brand new. Just the other day I got a flat tire and a man came running from the parking lot and took his entire lunch break on the snowy muddy ground helping me change my tire. It was 25 degrees outside. He was covered in the mud laying under my car. It was so sweet. People around here are very helpful and kind. I've never been to NY or LA to compare though.

That day with the car troubles I was stupid enough to think “I'm just going to get gas, I won't need to dress too warm”... and then I got a flat. Never make that mistake. Always dress in the winter as though you might get stranded somewhere. Always.

Speaking of cars, will you be driving or relying on transit? I ask because if you've never lived up north, you don't really yet know just how flaky cars get in the cold. If you are bringing a car expect to pay more for it here. My car had no problems in the summer/ fall, but as soon as it started getting really cold, it's been to the mechanic several times. Cars need so much attention here. I hear people talk about a $400 repair bill and shrug like its nothing. Myself however, am practically hyperventilating. A car might run well in Cali, but that doesn't mean it's a well running car up north. Your probably like me and assume you shouldn't have to repair a car more than once every few years. Well, that's a very southern way of thinking I suppose. This is probably the thing I like least about Fargo in fact. At least the beauty of the snow somewhat makes up for it.

Speaking of snow, most locals dread the word. I get so excited and talk about how much I can't wait till the next snowfall, but am encountered with laughs and “looks”. I get made fun of all the time jokingly. People really don't want snow here as odd as it sounds. Not the majority of ones I speak with anyways. But it's snowing tonight, and I'm super happy! Driving home, the roads weren't yet cleared from the snow, and you had to kind of try and drive straight since you couldn't see any lines on the roads, and follow other peoples tracks. It was kinda fun and adventurous feeling! Everything was covered white and seemed to glisten in the street lights. Absolutely wonderful!

Gas. Keeps going down! I saw $2.19 tonight! Wahoo!

Food. Most produce and fruit are above southern prices. In my opinion, some of the foods that are mainly southern, like limes, oranges, bananas, plantains, jalapenos, and so forth, don't always come in the best quality. Sometimes they do, but it isn't easy shipping tropical foods northward and keeping them warm. Berries, potatoes, cabbage, and other northern hardy foods though are reasonably priced and good quality. I actually think the potatoes last quite a bit longer up here. Though I'd give anything to grab a kumquat or a juicy fig for less than a fortune here, but that simply isn't possible that I have found. Maybe someone on here knows more about where to go than I do?

You said you were Thai-American. I'm guessing you might be looking for a good Asian grocery store? My favorite is Asian & American Market. Good prices and lots of selection. They are fairly close to downtown too. Every time I have went they give you a “discount” if you pay with cash.

I completely agree with Qazulight. Maplewood State Park is gorgeous, especially in the fall. The turning leaves are beyond gorgeous. Everyone seems to talk about Detroit Lakes being an awesome mini-summer getaway. I haven't been there yet, but plan to this spring! It's practically required here! Lol. Qazulight and Dutchinmnd have some great advice and helped me too before I moved here on here! (Thanks again Qaz and Dutch).

The twilight in the summer is so pretty! It is still bright outside at 10pm at night in June. Totally worth taking pictures of! And it has felt like every month after June the sun sets about an hour earlier. Today it was getting dark around 4:30. A bit of a tradeoff I suppose.

I really love Fargo. It's cutely awkward and small town minded. Very trusting too... I have seriously (no joke) seen people leave their cars running in the Walmart parking lot to keep the heat going while shopping inside. People are helpful and trusting, the town is bustling for such a small city, and the vibe is super chill. It's more diverse than I expected, and the roads are laid out fairly easy to navigate. If your life takes you to Fargo, it'll be a pretty exciting journey!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 AM

That is such great news, annagurl333! You're getting me very excited and reinforcing my decision to move to Fargo. I very much appreciate everyone's responses here.

I have been trying to find every piece of information possible on Fargo for the past month. Trying to decide between Casper, WY and Fargo. Somehow, Fargo has always looked more appealing to me. I guess I am hoping to live in a place where I can one day be called a Midwesterner. The decision has been tough because, Casper offered me more money for my job, but I do know the cost of living there is higher, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or