U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM

147 posts, read 378,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Hello Fargoans!

I come from the Los Angeles area. I'm a Thai-American.

The nursing job market for new graduate nurses is extremely poor all over California right now. I don't mind moving out of state at all. In fact, I like the idea of living in a new place. I would be moving away from home for the very first time, and this would be the start of my working life.

I have been offered two RN jobs in Fargo, one in Sanford and the other in Prairie St. John's.

Having a hard time to decide between these two jobs because really want to work BOTH!

I am working on getting a studio apartment and "heated parking" for a total of $700 per month. I would be living in downtown.

I am really thrilled about the possibility of moving to North Dakota and the city of Fargo. Just the thought of living in the Midwest excites me because I've always wondered what life is like in a smaller city.

I am pretty optimistic about Fargo. It seems very clean, safe, and lots of things to do for entertainment around town. Seems like there's a nice big shopping mall too, in case my mom wants to visit me.

1) Do nurses fare well in Fargo, in financial terms? New nurses here don't get paid anywhere near as much as nurses in California, and I am just worried I won't have enough money to get by in Fargo, living alone. After paying for all my bills with my salary, I really hope to have some money left over to enjoy life, like going on a trip to a lake, or eating out sometimes.

2) Not quite sure how expensive fruits and vegetables are here. I am used to eating a lot of fruits daily. Are fruits more expensive here? What about the availability?

3) How do people exercise here? Do they like running/hiking outdoors? Or do they usually stick to the gym (particularly in freezing weather)?

4) After talking to a few Fargoans, they're telling me, "Oh, today's weather is kind of nice... We're in the 30s today." But right now in Southern California, the temperatures are in the 40s and 50s with hardly any winds, and I'm already wearing a snow jacket, zipped all way up over my neck and face! I'm planning to buy the heaviest duty thermals I can find. I have never felt weather any colder than about 30 degrees in my life. Do the natives wear thermals too?

5) Are there any good skiing places around? I saw some parks and golf courses offer cross-country skiing in the city, and I was told there is a skiing place 45 minutes away from Fargo. I have never done skiing in my life before but I really want to learn! I am hoping to find a place to learn to ski without having to worry about bumping into a million other skiiers on my little beginner slope.

6) What are some of the beautiful places I can see around Fargo? I really would like to see those endless seas of grass and sky..... and SUNFLOWERS!!! Please tell me where I can find sunflower fields!

7) How much is gas there right now?

8) How are the people in Fargo? They say people in New York are meaner than people in Los Angeles. I do hear Fargoans are really nice welcoming!

I hope you can answer at least some of my many questions!

Thank you very much!
See a Psychiatrist before moving to a place like that. Its a running joke in most parts of the country when someone talks about moving to N Dakota. I know it will **** off the locals but think about this. You can die real quick from exposure in the winter in these area's Not a place I would choose . If you need bright lights in your house during the winter to help get over depression I would say that speaks volumes. The USA is your cup of tea since you have an RN license. There are so many places to choose from if you are going to get up & go. Now if you like ice fishing that would be a great place to go, Hunting in the woods, great, cross country skiing, yes. No mountains though just flat fields, when the snow flies you can't tell if your on the road or not.. There is a joke I heard from someone in Grand Forks. "What separates Fargo from the north pole? A fence."
GL with your choice. I would seek warmer climates IMO. I do hate the cold & black ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 PM

569 posts, read 1,232,892 times
Hi
First of all let me just say that I am a nurse and I did grow up in Fargo. I do not want to sound real negative but the reality of it is, living in Fargo is not all some of the posters like to make it sound. I still have family there. First of all, when describing it to people, I always say, it is a town or area that time forgot. Coming from California, culture will be entirely different and expect a big culture shock. Food is not nearly as good or varied as other places. Their is not alot of different things to do or places to go. It does have way more than when I grew up but by California standards, not much. People there are basically just that---basic people with a lot of midwest farm back grounds. Their is not a lot of cultural or religious varieties. It has good education system, decent health care, very kind and helpful people and basically cost of living is reasonable. If I chose one word to describe it----BORING!!!! If I had to raise a family, to me this is a great place.
I did read the book on Fargo and did not find a lot of truth in it. Kind of like people from ND saying they do not have an accent---ya right, you betcha!
I noticed only a small blip about floods---sorry but it is really is a big thing and they have gotten better about controlling it. Tornado's are also a happening thing. Blizzards are way not fun, not to mention dangerous and they do happen.Have you heard of cabin fever?? I also, noticed no one mentioned the bug population---the joke is that the state bird is the mosquito and believe me they are a live and well. Also, noticed no one mentioned how humid it can get there in the summer. The entire area is just plain flat so in the winter they get what is called snirt(snow dirt). Only skiing is down a hill. Their is lots of ice skating however. All I can say is winters are long and it gets really cold. The only decent season(and their are 4), is fall and yes I have seen snow in Sept.
I would never move back there for just about any reason. I spent 23 years in the area and enough is enough. Their are plenty of other places to live with more positives and not as costly as California and have RN jobs available. If I were you, I would look into Idaho, Oregon, Colorado---just to name a few. That is if you want to stay mid--west area. I would for sure stay away from the East and South but that is just my opinion.
My elderly advice for you would be to pick areas with jobs and go to city date and read the stats on each city. It will tell you things like weather,cultural groups, religious groups, income groups, hospitals, traffic, housing, cost of living, age groups, crime rates, etc. It is very informative. Lastly, do not take a job unless you go to visit the are and spend sometime checking it out. If you do not, you could end up stuck in a place where you are very depressed and unhappy. I have seriously seen it happen and life is hard enough without being stuck between a rock and a hard place of your own making.
I wish you well in your new adventure and I admire you for forging ahead. May the new year bring you much happiness and blessings!!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annagurl333 View Post
Hello. I moved to Fargo this summer from Florida. While I cannot answer all your questions, having no experience with nursing wages or skiing, I'll give you my opinions on what I know.

Weather. You get used to it, but not the way that everyone else is used to it. Not the first year anyways. It's a gradual process. I used to be the same as you, never having felt anything colder than 30 degrees, and bundling every warm item I own when you can start seeing your breath outside. Now 30 degrees, I just need a jacket, some light gloves, and a cute scarf over whatever I want to wear.... and a good hat. My ears have yet to begin getting adjusted.

But its been chilly here for a few months now, and I have had time adjust. More than anything, you layer clothing. What I typically wear in 0 degree weather when I have to walk farther than just to my car: 2 layers of pants (usually leggings under jeans or pants), 2 layers of socks, boots or thick sneakers, a tank top, and long sleeved top, a regular coat, a thick coat, 1 sometimes 2 layers of gloves, a thick fuzzy scarf, and at least 2 layers on my head/ears (typically with 2 cloth fuzzy hats) and then putting the hood on my coat on too. It does sound excessive, and is more layers than the locals wear. But it is totally doable. For some reason the upper part of my thighs are the hardest part to get warm. Definitely bring a coat that goes down to your knees, or buy one quickly when you get here.

Oh, and yes, people wear thermals. And mittens. And goofy looking but ubber warm hats. Anything that will keep you super warm, you'll see locals wearing.

People. It feels like an awkward eclectic mix of really nice people all from different walks in life. Some people have lived there their whole life, and some brand new. Just the other day I got a flat tire and a man came running from the parking lot and took his entire lunch break on the snowy muddy ground helping me change my tire. It was 25 degrees outside. He was covered in the mud laying under my car. It was so sweet. People around here are very helpful and kind. I've never been to NY or LA to compare though.

That day with the car troubles I was stupid enough to think “I'm just going to get gas, I won't need to dress too warm”... and then I got a flat. Never make that mistake. Always dress in the winter as though you might get stranded somewhere. Always.

Speaking of cars, will you be driving or relying on transit? I ask because if you've never lived up north, you don't really yet know just how flaky cars get in the cold. If you are bringing a car expect to pay more for it here. My car had no problems in the summer/ fall, but as soon as it started getting really cold, it's been to the mechanic several times. Cars need so much attention here. I hear people talk about a $400 repair bill and shrug like its nothing. Myself however, am practically hyperventilating. A car might run well in Cali, but that doesn't mean it's a well running car up north. Your probably like me and assume you shouldn't have to repair a car more than once every few years. Well, that's a very southern way of thinking I suppose. This is probably the thing I like least about Fargo in fact. At least the beauty of the snow somewhat makes up for it.

Speaking of snow, most locals dread the word. I get so excited and talk about how much I can't wait till the next snowfall, but am encountered with laughs and “looks”. I get made fun of all the time jokingly. People really don't want snow here as odd as it sounds. Not the majority of ones I speak with anyways. But it's snowing tonight, and I'm super happy! Driving home, the roads weren't yet cleared from the snow, and you had to kind of try and drive straight since you couldn't see any lines on the roads, and follow other peoples tracks. It was kinda fun and adventurous feeling! Everything was covered white and seemed to glisten in the street lights. Absolutely wonderful!

Gas. Keeps going down! I saw $2.19 tonight! Wahoo!

Food. Most produce and fruit are above southern prices. In my opinion, some of the foods that are mainly southern, like limes, oranges, bananas, plantains, jalapenos, and so forth, don't always come in the best quality. Sometimes they do, but it isn't easy shipping tropical foods northward and keeping them warm. Berries, potatoes, cabbage, and other northern hardy foods though are reasonably priced and good quality. I actually think the potatoes last quite a bit longer up here. Though I'd give anything to grab a kumquat or a juicy fig for less than a fortune here, but that simply isn't possible that I have found. Maybe someone on here knows more about where to go than I do?

You said you were Thai-American. I'm guessing you might be looking for a good Asian grocery store? My favorite is Asian & American Market. Good prices and lots of selection. They are fairly close to downtown too. Every time I have went they give you a “discount” if you pay with cash.

I completely agree with Qazulight. Maplewood State Park is gorgeous, especially in the fall. The turning leaves are beyond gorgeous. Everyone seems to talk about Detroit Lakes being an awesome mini-summer getaway. I haven't been there yet, but plan to this spring! It's practically required here! Lol. Qazulight and Dutchinmnd have some great advice and helped me too before I moved here on here! (Thanks again Qaz and Dutch).

The twilight in the summer is so pretty! It is still bright outside at 10pm at night in June. Totally worth taking pictures of! And it has felt like every month after June the sun sets about an hour earlier. Today it was getting dark around 4:30. A bit of a tradeoff I suppose.

I really love Fargo. It's cutely awkward and small town minded. Very trusting too... I have seriously (no joke) seen people leave their cars running in the Walmart parking lot to keep the heat going while shopping inside. People are helpful and trusting, the town is bustling for such a small city, and the vibe is super chill. It's more diverse than I expected, and the roads are laid out fairly easy to navigate. If your life takes you to Fargo, it'll be a pretty exciting journey!
I am glad you are enjoying your recent move to Fargo and yes the people are very nice. Be very cautious of the weather as you have not seen anything yet and it does take a lot of getting use to. Always always carry emergency equipment and clothes in your car in the winter. Trust me, you have not seen a real ND winter yet. Why do you think the locals hate snow?? You may think twice when their is 6 feet of snow and drifts and blowing wind with wind chill factor---making it feel like 30 below zero. I have seen it worse and blizzards are no adventure believe me. Also, one has to prepare their car for winter etc. as that is just a part of living in cold country. Please be safe and you will continue to enjoy your journey. Just remember that their may not be someone able or wanting to bail you out!!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert999 View Post
See a Psychiatrist before moving to a place like that. Its a running joke in most parts of the country when someone talks about moving to N Dakota. I know it will **** off the locals but think about this. You can die real quick from exposure in the winter in these area's Not a place I would choose . If you need bright lights in your house during the winter to help get over depression I would say that speaks volumes. The USA is your cup of tea since you have an RN license. There are so many places to choose from if you are going to get up & go. Now if you like ice fishing that would be a great place to go, Hunting in the woods, great, cross country skiing, yes. No mountains though just flat fields, when the snow flies you can't tell if your on the road or not.. There is a joke I heard from someone in Grand Forks. "What separates Fargo from the north pole? A fence."
GL with your choice. I would seek warmer climates IMO. I do hate the cold & black ice.
The locals are very defensive of North Dakota and I would say that is mainly because they have never lived anywhere else to compare it to---and I do not mean Minn, SD, etc. To them it is the norm and they truly are a very nice bunch of people. Just mention the movie Fargo and see the reaction you get. They are just down home country folk for sure!!!!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 AM

26 posts, read 46,203 times
Oh gosh.... That was the next question I had. I have a really hard time with bugs. I was about to ask if there were lots of mosquitoes!!! I've been to Thailand, a place with pretty humid weather, and I can't seem to wear anything but long sleeves and long pants otherwise I get bitten by mosquitos all the time. What about the bed bugs? I was looking at my lease papers for my apartment in Fargo and it had pages about bed bugs! Is this also an issue here?

Thank you for all your insight, vnodak. I really appreciate hearing all the cons of living in Fargo. I am also aware of how much I'm going to hate living wherever I go too. My plan really, is to get RN experience for at least a year, and if I really can't stand the place, I would move back home to California (which is probably likely, to take care of my parents), or move to a different place I would rather live. I was really just looking for a completely different place to live where I could learn about a place people don't know much about, and I want to be able to come back to California to tell great stories.

So far my only other option is Wyoming, but I am still continuously looking for jobs in California and the states that border it.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Quote:
Oh gosh.... That was the next question I had. I have a really hard time with bugs. I was about to ask if there were lots of mosquitoes!!! I've been to Thailand, a place with pretty humid weather, and I can't seem to wear anything but long sleeves and long pants otherwise I get bitten by mosquitos all the time. What about the bed bugs? I was looking at my lease papers for my apartment in Fargo and it had pages about bed bugs! Is this also an issue here?

Thank you for all your insight, vnodak. I really appreciate hearing all the cons of living in Fargo. I am also aware of how much I'm going to hate living wherever I go too. My plan really, is to get RN experience for at least a year, and if I really can't stand the place, I would move back home to California (which is probably likely, to take care of my parents), or move to a different place I would rather live. I was really just looking for a completely different place to live where I could learn about a place people don't know much about, and I want to be able to come back to California to tell great stories.

So far my only other option is Wyoming, but I am still continuously looking for jobs in California and the states that border it.
yes mosquitoes can be bad....so much depends on if it is a wet or dry summer. The cities spray regularly though. Bed bugs are no more of an issue than anywhere else. As for other bugs, there are less than in warm season climates for sure....as the cold winters kill off many roaches.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Bed bugs are everywhere so that is a non issue as far as I am concerned. You will need to be careful no matter where you live. Mosquitoes are an issue there when I was a kid and they still are. Planes use to take those horrible chemicals and spray over head. Imagine, that is just totally disgusting to me but at the time I did not know better. Even if they spray, their still is a problem. Have you looked at places in Oregon. I know that their are small rural hospitals that need people and are a good place to learn. You might check with Bandon hospital or Coquille Valley Hospital or the hospital in Roseburg etc. Their are many along the Oregon coast. They do not pay a lot but it is cheap to live there and the climate is much nicer than North Dakota plus they do have trees and nice scenery. Their is a hospital in Coos Bay too. It is very hard to be a new nurse and I just would hate to see you miserable due to the environment and all. Anywhere you live, you will have great stories as I have moved around a lot. Just be kind to yourself.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 PM

26 posts, read 46,203 times
Thank you, vnodak. I guess my next state to focus on is Oregon. It is nice and green there, and you did mention rural hospitals. That sounds good to me!

You're really scaring me with the mosquitoes in Fargo.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:03 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
At Ieast with bugs, you can spray. But have you looked at the tax base and laws in Oregon? Can't spray for that.

I lived in Oregon, along the Columbia River and never noticed a mosquito problem. Maybe it was just me. Also, for what its worth, I never noticed a problem in North Dakota when I lived there.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 01-05-2015, 01:13 AM

15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
I must not taste good to mosquitoes I have not noticed them since I been here. But then again I came here from Texas and lived through Texas skeeters

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or