U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 PM
 
26 posts, read 46,203 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Hello Fargoans!

I come from the Los Angeles area. I'm a Thai-American.

The nursing job market for new graduate nurses is extremely poor all over California right now. I don't mind moving out of state at all. In fact, I like the idea of living in a new place. I would be moving away from home for the very first time, and this would be the start of my working life.

I have been offered two RN jobs in Fargo, one in Sanford and the other in Prairie St. John's.

Having a hard time to decide between these two jobs because really want to work BOTH!

I am working on getting a studio apartment and "heated parking" for a total of $700 per month. I would be living in downtown.

I am really thrilled about the possibility of moving to North Dakota and the city of Fargo. Just the thought of living in the Midwest excites me because I've always wondered what life is like in a smaller city.

I am pretty optimistic about Fargo. It seems very clean, safe, and lots of things to do for entertainment around town. Seems like there's a nice big shopping mall too, in case my mom wants to visit me.

1) Do nurses fare well in Fargo, in financial terms? New nurses here don't get paid anywhere near as much as nurses in California, and I am just worried I won't have enough money to get by in Fargo, living alone. After paying for all my bills with my salary, I really hope to have some money left over to enjoy life, like going on a trip to a lake, or eating out sometimes.

2) Not quite sure how expensive fruits and vegetables are here. I am used to eating a lot of fruits daily. Are fruits more expensive here? What about the availability?

3) How do people exercise here? Do they like running/hiking outdoors? Or do they usually stick to the gym (particularly in freezing weather)?

4) After talking to a few Fargoans, they're telling me, "Oh, today's weather is kind of nice... We're in the 30s today." But right now in Southern California, the temperatures are in the 40s and 50s with hardly any winds, and I'm already wearing a snow jacket, zipped all way up over my neck and face! I'm planning to buy the heaviest duty thermals I can find. I have never felt weather any colder than about 30 degrees in my life. Do the natives wear thermals too?

5) Are there any good skiing places around? I saw some parks and golf courses offer cross-country skiing in the city, and I was told there is a skiing place 45 minutes away from Fargo. I have never done skiing in my life before but I really want to learn! I am hoping to find a place to learn to ski without having to worry about bumping into a million other skiiers on my little beginner slope.

6) What are some of the beautiful places I can see around Fargo? I really would like to see those endless seas of grass and sky..... and SUNFLOWERS!!! Please tell me where I can find sunflower fields!

7) How much is gas there right now?

8) How are the people in Fargo? They say people in New York are meaner than people in Los Angeles. I do hear Fargoans are really nice welcoming!

I hope you can answer at least some of my many questions!

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2014, 05:05 PM
 
511 posts, read 767,319 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Hello Fargoans!

I come from the Los Angeles area. I'm a Thai-American.

The nursing job market for new graduate nurses is extremely poor all over California right now. I don't mind moving out of state at all. In fact, I like the idea of living in a new place. I would be moving away from home for the very first time, and this would be the start of my working life.

I have been offered two RN jobs in Fargo, one in Sanford and the other in Prairie St. John's.

Having a hard time to decide between these two jobs because really want to work BOTH!

I am working on getting a studio apartment and "heated parking" for a total of $700 per month. I would be living in downtown.

I am really thrilled about the possibility of moving to North Dakota and the city of Fargo. Just the thought of living in the Midwest excites me because I've always wondered what life is like in a smaller city.

I am pretty optimistic about Fargo. It seems very clean, safe, and lots of things to do for entertainment around town. Seems like there's a nice big shopping mall too, in case my mom wants to visit me.

1) Do nurses fare well in Fargo, in financial terms? New nurses here don't get paid anywhere near as much as nurses in California, and I am just worried I won't have enough money to get by in Fargo, living alone. After paying for all my bills with my salary, I really hope to have some money left over to enjoy life, like going on a trip to a lake, or eating out sometimes.

2) Not quite sure how expensive fruits and vegetables are here. I am used to eating a lot of fruits daily. Are fruits more expensive here? What about the availability?

3) How do people exercise here? Do they like running/hiking outdoors? Or do they usually stick to the gym (particularly in freezing weather)?

4) After talking to a few Fargoans, they're telling me, "Oh, today's weather is kind of nice... We're in the 30s today." But right now in Southern California, the temperatures are in the 40s and 50s with hardly any winds, and I'm already wearing a snow jacket, zipped all way up over my neck and face! I'm planning to buy the heaviest duty thermals I can find. I have never felt weather any colder than about 30 degrees in my life. Do the natives wear thermals too?

5) Are there any good skiing places around? I saw some parks and golf courses offer cross-country skiing in the city, and I was told there is a skiing place 45 minutes away from Fargo. I have never done skiing in my life before but I really want to learn! I am hoping to find a place to learn to ski without having to worry about bumping into a million other skiiers on my little beginner slope.

6) What are some of the beautiful places I can see around Fargo? I really would like to see those endless seas of grass and sky..... and SUNFLOWERS!!! Please tell me where I can find sunflower fields!

7) How much is gas there right now?

8) How are the people in Fargo? They say people in New York are meaner than people in Los Angeles. I do hear Fargoans are really nice welcoming!

I hope you can answer at least some of my many questions!

Thank you very much!
Everyone should have an experience to tell, living through a Fargo winter qualifies.

You didn't say where you would be downtown, but the Y is just south of Main. It is a little old but I find it a nice place to exercise. You will survive the cold. Just plan on spending the money for warm clothes.

I am from Texas, so I wear the plain old Walmart active wear base layer, a flannel shirt and this year have upgraded from blue jeans to flannel lined Carharts. I work inside. I love downtown. So much so that I drive all the way across town, 15 minutes even, to get to my office job. I saw a rush hour once, I pulled into convience store and bought some cough drops, when I got back, it was over.

If you work at the Sanford downtown hospital you can practically walk to work. The downtown is safe, and active. Sometimes I walk the parks even when it's cold, but these overcast days, even though they are a lot warmer than last year just do not call me outside. On extreme days, sometimes I get home and dare people to try to get me to leave the apartment, but when the sun comes out....even at 15 degrees, I have to go explore the winter wonderland. However, at negative 10 when I tried, my glasses fogged up and froze, it kind of ruined the moment.

This is not a beautiful place, however, just to east Minnisota has some rolling land, and the Maplewood state park is a nice place. My son and I just drove to Duluth, about 5 hours away for a two day get away, it is very pretty there. There are closer places, but really, for day in and day out living downtown Fargo has a lot to offer.

What is really nice is the spring and summer, once the days start getting longer, everything starts waking up. When the last snow comes in April or so, everyone who has been neglecting the winter activities gets out and gets busy, I.e. Children snow sledding on the flood wall,(no hills), cross country snow skiing on the golf courses and so on.

The summer comes. By late May, the days are so long you will be walking by stores and wondering why the closed so early. They didn't it will be 9 pm and still not dark. IT seems that once winter is over, there is a festival every weekend.


Then on July 4 th you get summer, typically the whole of Fargo shuts down and spends the entire summer at Detroit Lakes.

Just kidding.

Summer is nice and you can swim in the lakes for a full three months. Typically it gets warm in the day time and cools enough in the afteernoon to walk and enjoy the summer. There is long bicycle path along the river, people ride, walk and run there. If you like you can golf, if you ever thought you might want to golf, I think this would be the place to do it. It is not terribly expensive and the summer days are long enough to allow it on a work day. (Realizing you are a nurse, you probably will have long days and an odd schedule so maybe not.)

You didn't say how much you would be making, but typically a skilled person such as yourself makes enough to be comfortable. I will note food is more here than in Texas, and vegetables are not the usual fare, but you can get decent food. You just can't get cheap decent food.


Good luck, and if you see an old bald headed guy, say hi. It might be me.

Last edited by Qazulight; 12-19-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 06:05 PM
 
26 posts, read 46,203 times
Reputation: 27
Thank you for your long reply, Qazulight! That was truly helpful!

I am planning to live in downtown near the Broadway and 1st intersection, and I'm going to be making $23.80/hour. I really like Fargo the more I hear about it! I really want to see the "winter wonderland" and the twilight hours at 10 pm! The summer activities every weekend sounds like there's plenty enough to do.

And I'll make sure to say hello if I see an old, bald-headed guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 PM
 
511 posts, read 767,319 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Thank you for your long reply, Qazulight! That was truly helpful!

I am planning to live in downtown near the Broadway and 1st intersection, and I'm going to be making $23.80/hour. I really like Fargo the more I hear about it! I really want to see the "winter wonderland" and the twilight hours at 10 pm! The summer activities every weekend sounds like there's plenty enough to do.

And I'll make sure to say hello if I see an old, bald-headed guy.
I didn't answer three of your questions.

The people here make the people in Texas seem like a bunch of old meanies.

Check out the book "How Fargo of you" and "Close Encounters of the Fargo kind" there are not a lot of these sold so Amazon may not have the best price.

Gas is about 2.35 a gallon for regular. Diesel is more I t would. be better to not have a Diesel engine due to the cold weather playing havoc with the fuel. I have a diesel truck and I pay a lot more in the winter for number 1 diesel to insure I don't have a problem with the fuel gelling. I also have a Mini Cooper S, it likes the best fuel, so I run premium in it and I try to only buy at the gas station that has no ethanol in the gas, so I pay more than 2.35 a gallon. My son has an older Avalon, he runs the cheapest gas he can find, it has not been a problem for him.

Crime, well, crime, they have it here. A college student was murdered this year. The first active student ever at NDSU, it was pretty shocking. However, that is not typical, more typical is the crime report that made the paper where four people where arrested for car prowling. The had been walking down Broadway and stealing things out of cars. When they were questioned they confessed and said they tried 14 cars, but 7 were locked.

Don't tell people here how much you make, many will believe you are rich. I know of a couple, not college grads, but a couple who live on a combined wage of 24 an hour. On the other hand, with everything going on and flights home to see the family and new winter clothes, you will have to be aware of your spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
231 posts, read 771,822 times
Reputation: 224
I would probably choose Sanford to work at. Your wage should allow you to live well here. I'm sure you will have lots of opportunities to work extra hours if you choose to. The Winters will take getting used too, but I'm sure you will adapt fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Reputation: 7377
I live not far from Fargo only about 120 miles. My wife and myself are disabled military veterans (Vietnam era, with service connected injuries) and we go to the VA quite often.

We are both "Rural" people and prefer living out in the boondocks. Fargo is much too big of a city for us. but, it is a nice place for us to visit.

We do much of our shopping at the Asian Market on Main street. Near the MacDonalds and old train station. You will find a fantastic variety of fresh fruits and vegetables there. They even carry durian when in season.

You should be able to adapt well to Fargo and I believe it is sufficiently diverse for you to enjoy yourself.
My wife and myself are quite elderly and so far have survived the winters. I came up here from Texas 6 years ago.
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 02:03 PM
 
26 posts, read 46,203 times
Reputation: 27
Thank you, Qazulight, Tundra dweller and Woodrow LI! All your responses are very helpful, and I am pretty sure I will love it in Fargo!

I am going to find those books you mentioned, Qazulight.

Sounds like a few of you came from Texas. What brought you to ND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Logan Township, Minnesota
15,511 posts, read 12,506,822 times
Reputation: 7377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Thank you, Qazulight, Tundra dweller and Woodrow LI! All your responses are very helpful, and I am pretty sure I will love it in Fargo!

I am going to find those books you mentioned, Qazulight.

Sounds like a few of you came from Texas. What brought you to ND?
After the death of my wife, I married a ND girl who had lost her Husband. Was a surprise we were both Vietnam vets, both disabled from military injuries, and are both Muslim
__________________
When posting as a MOD my posts will be in red

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks


MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Reputation: 3454
The hourly salary you mentioned should be sufficient. Many make a lot less and do well. Cost of living and other expenses are typically lower in Fargo than any other city in North Dakota. Shopping is also very varied and the mall is very nice. Overall Fargo is quite good and has many opportunities. It isnt LA or Minneapolis, and should not be compared to them, but the metro area is nearly 200k now if you look at West Fargo-Fargo-Moorhead and with the universities in town and growth in recent decades, there is a lot going on for its size.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-20-2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Signatures are not allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM
 
511 posts, read 767,319 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
Thank you, Qazulight, Tundra dweller and Woodrow LI! All your responses are very helpful, and I am pretty sure I will love it in Fargo!

I am going to find those books you mentioned, Qazulight.

Sounds like a few of you came from Texas. What brought you to ND?
Had long post and the Internet ate it!

Oh well, I wanted a more interesting job, my company had this one, I took it. If it looks like I will be here for another 36 months I will move my wife up. She stayed behind in Texas because the job was a little sudden.

From where you will be staying, you are in walking distance to:

Island park,
The library
J.L. Beers (Think Starbucks for beer)
The Vinyl Taco (Great Tacos and great classic rock)
The Community Theater (Saw the Rocky Horror picture show at Halloween)
The Fargo Theater (saw the Fargo two minute film festival, and the Funny Cat videos put on by the Minnisota public radio (could be wrong) and I missed the live performance of the Nut Cracker )
Sanford downtown (Note: Sanford is big and they have a new hospital in south Fargo and you might end up working there so you would have to drive. Of course that is not a terrible thing, it might take 15 minutes on a snowy day.)
The YMCA (two indoor pools, but the big lap pool will be closing soon so they can build a newer bigger one)
NDSU might be a stretch to walk, but it is close enough that you could take classes if you wanted.
Multiple churches.

You will probably want to drive to the grocery stores, there is one on Broadway about 25 blocks up, and a closer one in Moorhead, on Main Street. I live on Main at the river, I walk to the one in Moorhead when I want to stretch my legs and pick up a light item or two.

Oh, and sun flowers...

There was a crop between Fargo and Detroit lakes on Highway 10 this year, and another field north of Grand Forks on the interstate.

Just ask around in late summer,you will find them.

Be sure to go for long walks in the spring, they have Tulips here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top