U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 05:55 PM

511 posts, read 773,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsbeverly View Post
I appreciate all the feedback here. Bar scene? It'd be nice once in a blue moon to go out for a few drinks (I love some good microbrews) but more focused on the career/family aspects of the location.
Brandon,

Also consider Bismarck after this summer, let the oil thing shake out some, I drove out there, while Bismarck is not as progressive as Fargo is, I believe it may be the next Austin over the course of the next quarter century.

Bismarck has a better landscape, it is the political center, and is closer to the oil fields.

I think you will find both Bismarck and Fargo will have the family structure you are looking for. I would caution, it seems that to really plug into the domestic life you need to plug into a church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:03 PM

26 posts, read 46,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Juntra,

Don't sweat a slow down. Embrace it.

If you decide to stay it will give you a chance to buy a house at less of a premium.

The difference between you and the Brandon, is you have a very in demand skill and a job in hand, he does not. You have finished school and there is some urgency to get the career started, he has not.

While you have had to pay a premium for your housing, he can afford to wait a little, find a job when the economy is on the up swing and when housing has become a little weak.
Thanks, Qazulight. I guess it's not so bad for me after all. Thanks for the reassurance.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 AM

4,736 posts, read 9,126,778 times
I personally dont see a slow down in the Fargo economy....it isnt tied to the Oil out west. Fargo's growth engine remains strong as the area is very diversified. Housing remains very strong....

Old 01-12-2015, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 15,189 times
Yeah, my input doesn't hold much weight here as I don't live in Fargo (yet). But it's worth noting that I looked at the bureau of labor and statistics, and the unemployment rate in Fargo has done nothing but continue to drop throughout 2014. This doesn't include December. Thoughts on the ground can prove to be different than mere numbers though.

Source:

Fargo, ND-MN Economy at a Glance

Last edited by brandonsbeverly; 01-12-2015 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,534,596 times
Quote:
Yeah, my input doesn't hold much weight here as I don't live in Fargo (yet). But it's worth noting that I looked at the bureau of labor and statistics, and the unemployment rate in Fargo has done nothing but continue to drop throughout 2014. This doesn't include December. Thoughts on the ground can prove to be different than mere numbers though.

Source:

Fargo, ND-MN Economy at a Glance
Although the stats provide a Birdseye view of what is going on, they are seriously flawed. I'll explain.

When you become unemployed, you register for unemployment. You count.

When you want to seek employment, you register with the employment office, seeking a job. You count.

Your unemployment runs out, you've been looking for a job for 6 months, faithfully turning in your paperwork every other week showing the places you have applied and it simply hasn't helped, plus its a pain in the butt turning in the paperwork, if your not going to get an unemployment check anymore, so you stop turning in the paperwork. You DONT count.

The last. kid graduated from high school, you decide to go back to work, so you fill out a resume, send out at least 8-10 resumes a week, you frantically search the want ads, looking for work. You DONT count.

Only people registered and are current with the state employment as actively seeking employment, count.

Makes you wonder what the real numbers would show, if they had any method of capturing them.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM

For Fargo I have no idea--nationally I'd say probably the real unemployment rate is around 10%. That being said I still think those statistics hold a little weight, although they may not show the entire picture.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM

511 posts, read 773,024 times
Quote:
For Fargo I have no idea--nationally I'd say probably the real unemployment rate is around 10%. That being said I still think those statistics hold a little weight, although they may not show the entire picture.
Right now today, Fargo rocks.

But, Fargo is one of the banking centers for Williston, and Williston has been draining labor out of this and western Minnisota labor market. Also, Fargo has a large manufacturing base,(for Fargo) a lot of that is farm machinery, while it isn't talked about much, commodity prices have not been that great this year and so you can expect some weakness going forward.

Additionally Fargo has been growing at 16 percent a year, if this rate drops to a manageable 5 percent, you will see big declines in construction for new homes and businesses. If you want to come to Fargo and pay a premium for housing and take the chance of being the man with the least seniority when it is time to trim the pay roll, well come on up.

I have been in this situation before, I was in Houston in 1986 just out of the Coast Guard. It was not pleasant or profitable.

On the other hand, if you have a job, in hand, with a low cyclic business, like the phone company, or the electric company, or the Federal,(not state) government, don't turn it down, you may well be in a very good position to invest well in a year or so.

Cheer
Qazulight

Old 01-18-2015, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,281 times
I'm a young professional and can't complain about my salary considering the cost of living in Fargo. Considering where you are coming from, I think the thing to be most concerned with is the weather. The amount of snow ranges year to year but its the wind that's the killer. You're better off with a AWD/4x4 and an auto start. Getting stuck many mornings on the way to work in my civic drove me mad. If you are going to get an apartment, check with the neighbors first (if you can) on how management does with snow removal. You'll need a garage.
Also, considering where you are coming from, you won't have access to good quality fresh good fruits/veggies year round in Fargo. For me, it's important and I am not sure how concerned you are about this but the fresh and organic produce is expensive compared to other places. There is a couple farmers markets but they start late and end early in the season and there is not a wide variety to choose from. Health does not seem to be a priority here, a lot of people seems to live off of fast food so health food markets and restaurants don't do well here. A lot of hunter mentality, people think you are a freak for not eating meat.
I have made some good friends but for the most part, people are very simple here. I don't know what you and your girl friend prefer but I need to connect with people on a deeper level and that has been somewhat of a challenge.
People are generally good but their naivety seems to make them vulnerable. Overall the crime rate is good but there are some welfare areas that you don't want to live near. I would suggest making sure your apartment does not do section 8 housing.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:12 PM

Oxford,

Thanks for the input! Did you decide to move to Fargo from out of state for a job opportunity or did you grow up in the surrounding area? I'm taking it you moved from the sound of your car issues. That's one issue we've been considering is having to switch from 2WD to either AWD/4WD I was not sure how huge of an issue that would be. The cold, like you mentioned, will be the biggest thing. We shall see--I expect it will take some getting used to. That being said I'm currently in the running for one opportunity up that way but we shall see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or