U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 15,137 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been searching through the boards and reading different peoples experiences. I must say it sounds like Fargo, ND sounds like an overall good place to establish yourself. I am from Columbia, SC and I have been looking to move for a quite a while. I am a father to a beautiful nearly two year old little girl and am currently working in the logistics industry at DHL Global Forwarding. I was scanning through job listings at my company and saw an opening I was interested in Fargo, ND. I was very unaware of this place but did some reading and was extremely surprised. I'm sure the town has it flaws, much like other places, but from the surroundings, the crime rate, the economy, the school system, etc, it seems like an amazing place to raise a family and establish yourself.

A little background on myself. I am 26 years old nearing graduation at USC (it's an online program so I can move), my girlfriend (not married yet) is graduating this year at USC. Obviously a change of scenery in a great area is our primary concern when it comes to moving out of Columbia. We are not hooked into a contract with our rental and have money saved up but we would like to secure jobs prior to moving. Since we do not have a degree yet I feel like it may be somewhat hard to secure a job out of state.

So here's my question. What are the chances of securing a job that pays in the $40k without actually having my business degree yet? I've applied with my company but they are very unpredictable and cancel positions all the time. I've also applied with UPS for a similar position. She has a lot of experience in the health industry and has her phlebotomy certification. Is this probably out of the question or do you think this is feasible? Any personal experiences or advice? Maybe even connections? I am an active user of Linkedin ( https://www.linkedin.com/profile/pub...public_profile), not afraid to pick up the phone and speak with someone, have a pretty diverse background. This doesn't need to happen tomorrow but I want to actively be working on getting up there now, with the hopes of making it up there sooner rather than later.

I appreciate the time any of you may have taken to read this and would love to hear your responses! Thanks again.

Regards,

Brandon Beverly
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:24 PM

26 posts, read 46,229 times
Hi Brandon,

I'm moving to Fargo next week, without having stepped foot in the city before. I can't tell you much about the place or jobs you might do well in, but I can tell you that I see a few openings for phlebotomists in Fargo. Two of the positions are at Sanford Hospital.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, Chelsea (my girlfriend) has already started scanning their site. Thanks for the heads up!

What is bringing you to Fargo?

Old 01-10-2015, 01:38 PM

511 posts, read 768,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsbeverly View Post
Hello all,

I've been searching through the boards and reading different peoples experiences. I must say it sounds like Fargo, ND sounds like an overall good place to establish yourself. I am from Columbia, SC and I have been looking to move for a quite a while. I am a father to a beautiful nearly two year old little girl and am currently working in the logistics industry at DHL Global Forwarding. I was scanning through job listings at my company and saw an opening I was interested in Fargo, ND. I was very unaware of this place but did some reading and was extremely surprised. I'm sure the town has it flaws, much like other places, but from the surroundings, the crime rate, the economy, the school system, etc, it seems like an amazing place to raise a family and establish yourself.

A little background on myself. I am 26 years old nearing graduation at USC (it's an online program so I can move), my girlfriend (not married yet) is graduating this year at USC. Obviously a change of scenery in a great area is our primary concern when it comes to moving out of Columbia. We are not hooked into a contract with our rental and have money saved up but we would like to secure jobs prior to moving. Since we do not have a degree yet I feel like it may be somewhat hard to secure a job out of state.

So here's my question. What are the chances of securing a job that pays in the $40k without actually having my business degree yet? I've applied with my company but they are very unpredictable and cancel positions all the time. I've also applied with UPS for a similar position. She has a lot of experience in the health industry and has her phlebotomy certification. Is this probably out of the question or do you think this is feasible? Any personal experiences or advice? Maybe even connections? I am an active user of Linkedin ( https://www.linkedin.com/profile/pub...public_profile), not afraid to pick up the phone and speak with someone, have a pretty diverse background. This doesn't need to happen tomorrow but I want to actively be working on getting up there now, with the hopes of making it up there sooner rather than later.

I appreciate the time any of you may have taken to read this and would love to hear your responses! Thanks again.

Regards,

Brandon Beverly
Brandon,

I like Fargo, but I think we are on the cusp of an economic slow down. I would hang on in South Carolina for six more months and come back and ask the question again. If you had a job in hand, my answer would be much different, or if you had asked six months ago, or if you had a more blue collar degree. However you are getting a degree in business, the price of oil is collapsing, and you do not have a job in hand.

40 k should be do able in Fargo. It will tough to support a family on that, but not impossible.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
Brandon,

I like Fargo, but I think we are on the cusp of an economic slow down. I would hang on in South Carolina for six more months and come back and ask the question again. If you had a job in hand, my answer would be much different, or if you had asked six months ago, or if you had a more blue collar degree. However you are getting a degree in business, the price of oil is collapsing, and you do not have a job in hand.

40 k should be do able in Fargo. It will tough to support a family on that, but not impossible.
Interesting. I am not planning on going up there without a job, not unless I had some significant portion of my savings to blow. Your overall feeling is that the economy is about to start shrinking up there? 40K is just me, my girlfriend on the other hand would be working part-time as well, unless she gets an amazing job offer as well. We are just in search of somewhere different that looks to be a good place to raise a family and then grow from there. We want to grow professionally, family wise (maybe..one might enough for me), and just become part of a community in a decent area. Columbia has had an unemployment rate hovering in the 6% range and it was even higher not too long ago. Gang violence is ridiculous, school districts are not what they used to be, employment pay/opportunity is not so great, and cost of living while not bad, is definitely better in other parts of the country when factor in the income differences. This is an overwhelming part of the reason why I am looking to move and like what I read about Fargo. That being said I get what you are saying and is definitely reason for concern. Why do you feel theyou guys are slowing down economically?

Old 01-10-2015, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 46,229 times
I am moving to Fargo since I landed an RN job in the city. Sanford has a lot of open positions for all kinds of jobs, so hopefully your gf will find one, Brandon. And hope you can land a job too.

Hearing that Fargo is going through an economic slow-down is kinda scary Qazu.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:22 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,743,098 times
I moved to Fargo just three years ago this month. The area has been very rewarding career-wise, but in the long term I plan to leave. The area has a lot of positives, good shopping, restaurants, and a vibrant downtown that is still in a renaissance.

The area does have its negatives outside the winter temps. It seems a lot of people love dirty habits from excessive drinking to smoking. The dating scene is beyond deplorable. If you into the bar scene you may have found your oasis.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM

I appreciate all the feedback here. Bar scene? It'd be nice once in a blue moon to go out for a few drinks (I love some good microbrews) but more focused on the career/family aspects of the location.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,743,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsbeverly View Post
I appreciate all the feedback here. Bar scene? It'd be nice once in a blue moon to go out for a few drinks (I love some good microbrews) but more focused on the career/family aspects of the location.
It seems that most of the people I run into plan nights out at the bar playing darts or trivia. I'm not much of a drinker. I'd also say that a lot of people love passive activities i.e watching sports. There are a lot of nice bars in Fargo if that's your thing.

I have no interest in any of that stuff. I sometimes think I should have moved to Salt Lake City

Old 01-10-2015, 04:48 PM

511 posts, read 768,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
I am moving to Fargo since I landed an RN job in the city. Sanford has a lot of open positions for all kinds of jobs, so hopefully your gf will find one, Brandon. And hope you can land a job too.

Hearing that Fargo is going through an economic slow-down is kinda scary Qazu.
Juntra,

Don't sweat a slow down. Embrace it.

If you decide to stay it will give you a chance to buy a house at less of a premium.

The difference between you and the Brandon, is you have a very in demand skill and a job in hand, he does not. You have finished school and there is some urgency to get the career started, he has not.

While you have had to pay a premium for your housing, he can afford to wait a little, find a job when the economy is on the up swing and when housing has become a little weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or