U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 PM

511 posts, read 771,445 times

Advertisements

You need a passport, and the run to Canada is recommended. They have an interesting Polar Bear exhibit at the zoo, and just opened a large human rights museum.

The Shack on Broadway is the best place in town as far as I am concerned. I generally only eat breakfast there. I don't know if it is Mom and Pop, but I keep ending up at the Vynl Taco for dinner, and the Rumbus Guys pizza is good but it can be a little expensive.

Of course most food is more expensive than in Houston.

The best steak is cooked on my balcony. The good cuts from Hornbachers can't be beat. There is a really nice Italian place on main right across the bridge in Moorhead, and a good Indian restaurant on 45 th just north of 13 th ave. (it a long way from the airport, like 15 minutes even)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 AM

231 posts, read 773,428 times
I would 2nd the Shack on Broadway for breakfast. I went there yesterday simply because I craved their hashbrowns.
Try JL Beers for their burgers and their homemade chips. (must be 21)
And a big thumbs up for Vinyl taco, you will want to try them all. (21 and over)
For thin crust Pizza, Duanes pizza is my favorite on the planet.
The Pho soup at the Jade Garden is the best I've had anywhere. I usually get the Brisket version.

You can buy rice in bulk at the Asian stores. My wife frequents the Asian American market.

Fargo, and North Dakota are not known as culinary hotbeds, but there are some great dishes if you know where to look. The diet here tends to be slightly bland to visitors. Mostly just meat and potatoes. The biggest complaint I hear is that it's virtually impossible to find acceptable seafood, and the fruits and vegetables are not as fresh as what they are used to.

You will probably want to rent at first. The housing market is crazy right now. People are lining up to look at houses, and they are selling in a matter of hours if they are in good condition and reasonably priced.

While this isn't the bible belt, you will notice that people tend to be more conservative than what you are probably used to. Yet those same people would probably give you the shirt off their back if you needed it.

You will notice that the area empties out on the weekends in the Summer as thousands of people "head to the lakes". It's the Midwest version of going to the beach. Plan to visit the lake Itasca area at least once.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 AM

511 posts, read 771,445 times
"The Pho soup at the Jade Garden is the best I've had anywhere. I usually get the Brisket version."

I had Pho soup in Duluth, never even thought to look for it here. Where is the Jade Garden?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM

231 posts, read 773,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
"The Pho soup at the Jade Garden is the best I've had anywhere. I usually get the Brisket version."

I had Pho soup in Duluth, never even thought to look for it here. Where is the Jade Garden?

Sorry, I meant Jade Dragon. It's located in the same building as the Asian American market at 1015 Main Avenue, Fargo. It's not a buffet.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 AM

4,732 posts, read 9,113,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeretta View Post
Haha...well, thank goodness there will be a Chipotle! I will be working in the airport area so I actually am looking at the Northtown Crossing apartments. I don't mind the more quiet side or slower part of town. I love being at home if I'm not doing something outdoors with my dog or to stay fit.

I had a friend send me a chart showing the demographics...lol, I'm basically joining the 1% of Pacific Islanders/Hawaiian population up in Fargo. Still giggling about that.

Do you need a passport to drive up to Canada?! I'd love to cross that off my bucket list. I would think you do, but I've never driven across boards into another country.

Now, what and where are the good mom and pop places to eat in town? Best breakfast place? Best steak in town? Overall food and service?
For the Canadian trip.... yes you need a passport or ND may start offering an enhanced drivers license that would be ok instead of a passport.

As for the other questions....I only know of chain places during visits...so unsure.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,567,616 times
I am a former Texan living about 125 miles from Fargo. I do go to Fargo a few times a month for appointments at the VA.
I find many similarities between Austin and Fargo. A smaller version of Austin, but equally enjoyable. A diverse community, yet because of it's large college population it fits right in with the Kinky Friedman's concept of Austin Remember Kinky's campaign pledge "Keep Austin Weird" Kinky Friedman would fit quite well in Fargo.
If you liked Kinky Friedman's Austin you will like Fargo.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 PM

266 posts, read 265,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am a former Texan living about 125 miles from Fargo. I do go to Fargo a few times a month for appointments at the VA.
I find many similarities between Austin and Fargo. A smaller version of Austin, but equally enjoyable. A diverse community, yet because of it's large college population it fits right in with the Kinky Friedman's concept of Austin Remember Kinky's campaign pledge "Keep Austin Weird" Kinky Friedman would fit quite well in Fargo.
If you liked Kinky Friedman's Austin you will like Fargo.
I really liked Kinky Friedman and wish Texans had elected him governor. Bill Clinton said once that Friedman was at some kind of White House function and offered Clinton a Cuban cigar. Clinton said he told Friedman as President it wouldn't be proper for him to have a Cuban. Friedman told him, "Mr. President, just pretend you're burning their fields."

Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 8,024 times
Haha...I appreciate all the responses so far, but I have to make things clear.

I am not some 20 year old college student that has not identified herself with the type of party I belong to. I am all for what is best for the country, but honestly I despise having any kind of conversation with liberals/democrats. I do not live in Austin for a reason and I would never choose to live there if there were a more conservative and sane city to live in instead.

Yes, I may be the one and only Asian/Pacific Islander that is conservative for my age group that will be living in Fargo, but that is fine by me.

All I care about is my exciting experience that I can make out of this duty station and know that Houston will be here waiting for me to return as soon as I can along with my family.

Two and a half weeks left! I am excited and I always love a new chapter to add in my life.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 PM

25 posts, read 41,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeretta View Post
Haha...I appreciate all the responses so far, but I have to make things clear.

I am not some 20 year old college student that has not identified herself with the type of party I belong to. I am all for what is best for the country, but honestly I despise having any kind of conversation with liberals/democrats. I do not live in Austin for a reason and I would never choose to live there if there were a more conservative and sane city to live in instead.

Yes, I may be the one and only Asian/Pacific Islander that is conservative for my age group that will be living in Fargo, but that is fine by me.

All I care about is my exciting experience that I can make out of this duty station and know that Houston will be here waiting for me to return as soon as I can along with my family.

Two and a half weeks left! I am excited and I always love a new chapter to add in my life.
Wow, good to hear there will be another conservative Asian in Fargo...I thought I was going to be the only one forever...it's tough to find conservative minorities, why is that?

You will be just fine here, ND is a conservative state and even if Fargo considers it to be the most liberal part of the state, it doesn't compare to Austin or let's say the whole west coast...if that gives you an idea.

Winters are brutal, summers are nice, land is very flat, but the lakes country (45 min. drive east) is pretty nice...

Oh and Chipotle is very overrated in my opinion...Pancheros is much better because they have queso and the best queso of all the burrito shops in town and they actually mix all the ingredients together unlike ohh Qdoba...I don't like to bite into a mouthful of rice then the next bite is a mouthful of meat and so on...
-the other places mentioned in other posts are good as well, but the mention of Chipotle, I thought, warranted this tidbit.

Favorite restaurant in the area is "Spitfire Grill" (West Fargo), best BBQ, steaks, sandwiches I've had anywhere (I've been to Texas several times and it didn't compare in my HONEST opinion)!
"Lucky 13's" has the best pub food in town...come hungry both places have huge portions!

Final note: Most posters asking questions about moving to ND forget to report back once they have made the move...it would be nice to have someone finally respond back once they have settled into their new home so others wondering about the move may have some reassurance.

Good Luck and no worries!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,024 times
JohnnyBizon,

Thank you for the reply! Good to know there's another one of us out there...lol!

Again, I'm very excited to check out all the local places that I'm sure will trump most food chains.

So, I've discovered that there is no T-Mobile tower up in Fargo. That's a huge bummer because I did not want to go back to AT&T. Also, what is the best electrical/energy company in town? Since that is the only utility I have to pay for I was wondering if there were any green energy companies that do solar, wind or hydro electricity.

I've already communicated with the two Crossfit gyms in town and can't wait to see the boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo