U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 8,026 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Currently I live in Houston, TX and am being offered an AGR position in Fargo which is one of the possible cities on my list. All other cities that were offered to me are in horrible parts of each state, are not very scenic (which I love the outdoors and being outside) and just do not seem to be a city where I would enjoy spending my first tour in.

I'm about to be 30, unmarried and no children, so I would like to know what kind of activities or festivals happen in Fargo. I'm not talking about the "dating" scene either people...LOL! Houston has food, cultural, music and art festivals all year long. All sorts of national parks and wonderful hip areas where food is amazing and the night life is great.

My boyfriend (from Mississippi) is currently working on contract in Williston (I believe that's the city) and since the military and his job are both keeping us from being in Houston (or The South) together, I recommended that maybe I should choose the better city that just so happens to be in the same state. ONLY it's completely on the opposite side of the state. Haha..but still closer.

I have my dog and own a Tacoma Pre-Runner. I was thinking since it doesn't snow in Houston (not snow that sticks) I'm either going to have some serious issues with my truck being that's it's used to the hotter temps and that I'm going to have to purchase some studs to change into for the winters. If anything I would ask the military to transfer me during the spring after this school semester ends.

What areas are good for living (apartment or house)? I love conviences so things that are close to home like the grocery store the gym and any city center or social center areas would be wonderful. Though a place that does have some quiet and greenery would be ideal. I am dedicated to fitness so maybe liviing near or in the vacinity of a park with trails would be great for my dog and I. Not sure if there's a Gold's Gym in the area or if anyone could recommend a great gym or crossfit box, that would be perfect!

Any information would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. On a side note: I was born and raised in Kodiak, Alaska so the cold and snow and driving in it are not new concepts for me. I just was trying not to have to move back to an area where I had to warm up my vehicle and scrape off the ice and snow again before getting in.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 PM

4,736 posts, read 9,129,255 times
Hi

I visit Fargo often but live about 70 miles north. Thus I know quite a bit about the city and area but having not "lived" there not everything. But I will take a stab at some of your questions.

Here is a link to a map of fargo gym's

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...12bf84be0c0ff9

There is a cross fit Fargo --- no gold's gym. It is in the southwest part of the city...which is where the main growth is (west of I-29 and south of 40th Ave S). That is near the Osgood area and there is nice park/golf course there. Most of the parks and trails are closer to the Red River such as Lindenwood north toward downtown. I am sure other trails exist....check the parks website for info as I am not familiar other than the ones near the river.

Winters in Fargo would be far colder than Kodiak or even Anchorange. Wind is a major factor in all winters. Each winter though is highly variable....this year not much snow at all.....some winters quite a lot. Snow plows do a good job removing snow but residual ice patches remain most of the winter on residential streets. as for studded tires....I dont know. I dont see many with them to be honest. In Minnesota they are not permitted, they are in North Dakota seasonally. I would just have a good set of all season tires or winter tires (without the studs) as most of the time your travel will not be through deep snow but on top of a 1 inch snow/ice compacted road.

Fargo has some great activities in the warm season...
Fargo-Moorhead Convention & Visitors Bureau - Festivals in Fargo, ND & Moorhead, MN

there is the well known Fargo marathon....Ribfest downtown....Fargo Blue's Festival....Red River valley fair....and being a larger metro with several colleges many places downtown now for music, drink and food. Houston of course it is not....and no comparison should be made...but it is the largest metro in ND for a reason. Having won 4 FCS championships NDSU Bison football is very big each fall.

During the Christmas to early March period....less going on outdoors wise... more stay inside, or hit the gym, or go to the mall. West Acres mall is the largest in the state and is nice...and Fargodome hosts many major concerts, drawn there by the metro pop of over 200k.

Fargo is enjoyable...white in the winter....muddy in the spring....green in the summer and somewhat colorful fall....but most of the trees are near the river. The entire Red River valley is very flat so dont expect any hills or such...until you get about 20 miles east of town into Minnesota. Less than 1 hr away is Minnesota Lakes country and Detroit Lakes and Fergus Falls and many lakes for camping, fishing, swimming, etc.

The Fargo Air National Guard is at the airport. This year (2015) is the return of the Fargo Air Show and the Blue Angels. It will be a busy time.

Dan

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Dan,

Wow, thank you very much for all the info. Yes, I do plan on mapping out my assault on this, so far, better choice of cities from my list. Oftentimes, people will be able to express better what is out there as far as social events and community gatherings better than a brochure or web page can and in more of an honest fashion. Plus, there's always little spots that people know about in the up and coming that I would like to find out before getting into the city and having to find out on my own.

It's a shame the geography is flat like Houston...was hoping to get a bit more elevation moving back up North, but I'm not trying to be picky at all. All those festivals sound like a blast. I LOVE ribs..lol.

Thank you again.

-Jo

Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 PM

511 posts, read 773,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBeretta View Post
Dan,

Wow, thank you very much for all the info. Yes, I do plan on mapping out my assault on this, so far, better choice of cities from my list. Oftentimes, people will be able to express better what is out there as far as social events and community gatherings better than a brochure or web page can and in more of an honest fashion. Plus, there's always little spots that people know about in the up and coming that I would like to find out before getting into the city and having to find out on my own.

It's a shame the geography is flat like Houston...was hoping to get a bit more elevation moving back up North, but I'm not trying to be picky at all. All those festivals sound like a blast. I LOVE ribs..lol.

Thank you again.

-Jo
Another nice thing about the festivals is they generally are in the evenings, and the evenings are long.

Makes for a nice time even on a warm day.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,282 times
One thing you will like that is completely opposite of Houston is that you can get almost anywhere around town within 15 min. If you stay in Fargo/Moorhead/West Fargo you will be close to everything considering how spread out Houston is. [Mod cut] The further south you go in fargo, generally the homes and neighborhoods will be newer. I am looking to sell my twin home this early spring with an awesome meadow in the backyard and its a block away from a gym

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-23-2015 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: New members cannot make recommendatiins.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Qazulight and Oxford,

Thank you both for the replies and info. I did notice that the south part of town has newer construction, but I'm trying to stay close to work which is actually a huge convenience with the VA hospital, university campus and airport close. Granted I don't like the thought of having to hear air traffic all day, but it's nothing new coming from the aviation branch.

I have noticed a crazy fact. Most apartment complexes DO NOT allow pets also there are no places like Chipotle or Freebirds in Fargo 0_o ....a complete shocker.

Another question: what is the average price of gas/gal right now? Here in Houston it's $1.60-$1.83

Oxford: is your twin home what some call a duplex or townhouse? If it is fully upgraded I would like to see pictures and how much is your asking? I sold my townhouse last Spring and was not planning on purchasing property, but a look never hurt.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Qazulight and Oxford,

Thank you both for the replies and info. I did notice that the south part of town has newer construction, but I'm trying to stay close to work which is actually a huge convenience with the VA hospital, university campus and airport close. Granted I don't like the thought of having to hear air traffic all day, but it's nothing new coming from the aviation branch.

I have noticed a crazy fact. Most apartment complexes DO NOT allow pets also there are no places like Chipotle or Freebirds in Fargo 0_o ....a complete shocker.

Another question: what is the average price of gas/gal right now? Here in Houston it's $1.60-$1.83

Oxford: is your twin home what some call a duplex or townhouse? If it is fully upgraded I would like to see pictures and how much is your asking? I sold my townhouse last Spring and was not planning on purchasing property, but a look never hurt.
The first Chipotle is coming to Fargo.... to the West Acres Mall food court. Never head of Freebirds. Fargo though by a million years has more restaurant and ethnic restaurants than other ND cities.

And yes finding one that accept pets is a challenge... though in Grand Forks (and prob Fargo) I have seen more than accepts 1 pet (a small dog or cat). But to get one that accepts large dogs or more than 1 is quite hard....though driving by these apartments that only allows 1 dog....I see that many sneak another one in. Fargo has the cheapest gas in the state and usually cheapest everything... Fargo now I believe is around 1.79 or so.... GF is 1.99.....

Old 01-24-2015, 05:35 PM

I stand corrected....there is also a Chipotle restaurant coming to Fargo as well (one in mall food court would be a small version)...

It was big news....

Fargo’s Prairie Stone Center to Open in August | Fargo Monthly

Chipotle Fargo location made clear | Prairie Business Magazine | Grand Forks, ND

Old 01-24-2015, 06:17 PM

511 posts, read 773,500 times
Quote:
Qazulight and Oxford,

You would be better to rent for a year. There are three reasons.

1. You might not like Fargo. Owning a home here would make you feel trapped. That would make minor irritations turn into loathing.

2. This isn't Texas, the laws and taxes and customs are not the same. Until you have lived here you will not understand.

3. The economy may cool off some in a year. You might get a better price, or have a better selection. On the other hand interest rates may rise and make it harder to buy a house, so that may not be a good reason.

On the other hand, if you own your own place you can bring as many pets as you like.

Personally, I like the area in north Fargo near the airport. It seems to be its own little Fargo, but I am older than you and you might find it bland, like a 10 year old Cadillac .

Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 PM

Haha...well, thank goodness there will be a Chipotle! I will be working in the airport area so I actually am looking at the Northtown Crossing apartments. I don't mind the more quiet side or slower part of town. I love being at home if I'm not doing something outdoors with my dog or to stay fit.

I had a friend send me a chart showing the demographics...lol, I'm basically joining the 1% of Pacific Islanders/Hawaiian population up in Fargo. Still giggling about that.

Do you need a passport to drive up to Canada?! I'd love to cross that off my bucket list. I would think you do, but I've never driven across boards into another country.

Now, what and where are the good mom and pop places to eat in town? Best breakfast place? Best steak in town? Overall food and service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo