U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:14 PM

489 posts, read 1,733,080 times

Advertisements

The number of colleges, interstates, etc.... has nothing to do with the size and continued growth of a city. There are cities larger than Fargo that don't have universities, major interstates. Regardless, with over 560,000 in Boise (and still quickly growing at an average of over 17,000 people a year), none of the cities in the upper mid-west will ever be that large. Just be happy that the Bismarck and Fargo areas are still strong, growing, self supporting cities. Many cities in the region are losing population.

I also don't understand why they don't make BSC a 4 year. It's a great two year, and would be an excellent 4 year. However it would have to open a second campus in Bismarck considering that Bismarcks development has completely surrounded the current campus. They do have a new large dormatory going up now that nearly uses the last of the land available to BSC.

Last edited by BreaOC; 01-11-2008 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,129,996 times
Question The opposite question

But...but...but...
What if you don't WANT to move to a growing area?
What if you don't want more n more restaurants, fast food places, housing developments, schools, cars, roads, and ... peepul?

Then where do you go?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 AM

325 posts, read 1,398,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
But...but...but...
What if you don't WANT to move to a growing area?
What if you don't want more n more restaurants, fast food places, housing developments, schools, cars, roads, and ... peepul?

Then where do you go?
SCGranny:
That leaves the remaining 99% of North Dakota for people that don't want to live in a thriving/growing metropolis. Been there and done that for the past 42 years. Moving back to ND to get away from it and back to a slower pace now. I think we change as we get older.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,044,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester View Post
I think the energy industry could be the boost in the arm for Bismarck to compete with Fargo. You look at cities like Farmington, NM and Bakersfield, CA...their populations have tripled this past decade because of the thriving energy industry in their regions. Bismarck could possibly benefit from the same because of its location as a major town and proximaty to the western ND's oil and coal industries, which are thriving right now. It has the shopping, jet service, interstate system that could attract some major energy companies to make Bismarck their choice to set up their regional headquarters. I'd rather Dickinson or Williston benefit from this though.
Would you think that Bismarck would benefit from having a 4-lane higway (US 83) that goes to I-90 in South Dakota or goes to US 12 near Mobridge, SD and hook up to the 4-lane east of Aberdeen that goes to I-29?

Another idea would be to have the 4-lane south of Bismarck go to I-90 south of Pierre and go down to North Platte, NE, where it hooks up with I-80 and improves access to Denver, CO, Omaha, NE, and Kansas City, MO and other points beyond.

I think that better access to the south will help Bismarck/Mandan increase its potential and will integrate it better it with South Dakota and other points in the Midwest.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,485,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Energy > Tech The sad thing is the state of North Dakota has shot itself in the foot - no probably the lungs or something else more important - by refusing to allow a real state university in Bismarck. With its better climate, natural beauty, and energy industry (i.e. the part of the ND energy industry that has brains), Bismarck-Mandan has more potential than anywhere else in the state. Bismarck could be the next Boise but its hard to do so without a real state university.

I guess its more important to make sure Mayville stays open and NDSU doesn't have any competition though... God forbid BSC offers a four year program.
Bismarck has a four year college that has a remarkable record of growth and is very progressive: University of Mary. There's no need to duplicate offerings that a private institution with relatively low tuition already offers. Dickinson State isn't all that far either. What ND needs is more vocational-technical schools (like ND Science): skilled and crafts workers are badly needed. Some of the two year schools (maybe Williston or Lake Region) and one of the four years schools (like Mayville or Valley City) should be converted: it would serve those communities and ND better.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 AM

8 posts, read 22,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Grew up in NoDak, lived in Minnysoda and California the past 41 years, but retuning to my ND roots. I see that many people that post in these forums talk about all the shopping/night clubs/bars.. etc that you can now find in ND. Maybe because Im old (older) I'm looking forward to something less hectic. A slower pace. I think it still exists in ND and other places in the midwest. I would have thought differently probably a number of years ago, but as we get older (mature?) we realize its not all about stuff, the weather, and malls. Its about our friends and neighbors and who we can help that are really in need. That is why I'm moving back to where I grew up. I know, its different for everyone, but I think its important to help out others..
mikey, seems like we think alike,we are moving to cogswell nd to be in small town.like the idea of walking around the town at any hour and not worrying about crime.Have read so much about the friendly ppl in nd it is kinda hard to believe that slow pace is still around.Being older i guess helps to live in a smaller town.dont think it is possible if you have to work or need the networking with ppl.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 PM

61 posts, read 137,263 times
fargo is ok if you are a minority, but thats about it. otherwise this town would prolly b alot better if i was white, that being said i'm not relly surprised that this is a red state since i've been here about 5years and have had so many levels of disrespect and racist situations. i once got pulled over on 94 coming from bismark by a state boy who claimed i looked " crimanally skeptical". truth is i looked black and you thought you had something on me, this fool ended up calling in 3 other state boys with a drug sniffing dog to tell me theres no drugs in a rental car i was driving, which is what i told him from the start! when they finished this 45min "big bust" i replied man the only reason you pulled me ova is b'cus i was black, and he said oh dont try and play the race card! yhea rite if i was white i would have neva got stoped in the first plce! honestly over all it has really help me to see how small minded people really are! and they call themselves cops, then they wonder y blacks dont respect them, its b'cus of bul**** ass crakers like these dick heads that make ND full of bul****

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 PM

246 posts, read 904,897 times
I like Fargo myself as well. South Fargo has been great. But ideally for me, Bismarck is where I would like to be. I think Bismarck has a lot going for it, especially the feel of more openness as far as how the city can be laid out versus fargo which to me at least appears to be walled in by the river, then by West Fargo, so it seems like some housing is just built right on top of each other. The Green Fields division is one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or