Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:42 PM

18 posts, read 53,315 times

Advertisements

This thread is just to put out my opinion to anyone thinking about moving to North Dakota. I say if you move to this state then the only city to think about is Fargo! I've been here ten years but before I was moved here at age 10 I put up the fight of a lifetime. I was mortified that I would be moving to some town I'd never heard of and the only think I had heard about it was the Flood of '97, but I can tell you now that this city is a hell of a lot more then its reputation. This town is growing unbelievably but you still have a town full of nice people. The crime is super low. I leave everything unlocked and nothing really has happened. I would feel comfortable as a 20 year old female walking down any street in town at any hour. I don't know how many places you can say that about! Yes it gets cold every winter but the cold just helps you to appreciate the other seasons as well. Plus I think Fargo is the best place to meet your lifemate. I know I met mine here :-) Fargo only has room to expand so I don't think housing will be an issue for awhile and I believe the culture of the town is growing as well. I just love Fargo lol.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM

10 posts, read 44,653 times
Right on !!! Bismarck...mindrot..grand forks....no way!!! Been here since 1986.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:47 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Default Is this a joke???

In this post you are singing the praises of Fargo, yet in the Washington state forum you say you and boyfriend are looking to leave Fargo and maybe move to Washington. You're confusing the hell out of me.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 AM

18 posts, read 53,315 times
I love Fargo but my boyfriend wants to move to Washington. I've lived here 10 years and I was just letting everyone out there that was considering moving to this state to pick this town. That is all this thread was about. I was just giving my opinion to those seeking advice. I've been getting good advice from Washington locals about my decision so I wanted people to have advice from a Fargo local about a city I know. I'll miss Fargo when I leave and I'll probably end up back here before I die. I'm young. Young people need to get away from home for a little while and see the rest of the world. Just because I'm moving doesn't mean I'm leaving because I hate where I am.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 24,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdonni View Post
I love Fargo but my boyfriend wants to move to Washington. I've lived here 10 years and I was just letting everyone out there that was considering moving to this state to pick this town. That is all this thread was about. I was just giving my opinion to those seeking advice. I've been getting good advice from Washington locals about my decision so I wanted people to have advice from a Fargo local about a city I know. I'll miss Fargo when I leave and I'll probably end up back here before I die. I'm young. Young people need to get away from home for a little while and see the rest of the world. Just because I'm moving doesn't mean I'm leaving because I hate where I am.
sounds like a young person with a good head on their shoulders.Thanks for your advice,very well put.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
Sorry Fargo, Bismarck will surpass in all in a few years!!! LOL! I think Bismarck is going to become the new Boise.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Sorry Fargo, Bismarck will surpass in all in a few years!!! LOL! I think Bismarck is going to become the new Boise.

No offense but what makes you think that?

Fargo / Moorhead is home to several LARGE colleges / schools and is close to MSP. Has a large tech sector, and has 2 interstate highways. Seems they have a lot that Bis / Man could not overcome.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:57 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post

Fargo / Moorhead is home to several LARGE colleges / schools and is close to MSP. Has a large tech sector, and has 2 interstate highways. Seems they have a lot that Bis / Man could not overcome.
Grew up in NoDak, lived in Minnysoda and California the past 41 years, but retuning to my ND roots. I see that many people that post in these forums talk about all the shopping/night clubs/bars.. etc that you can now find in ND. Maybe because Im old (older) I'm looking forward to something less hectic. A slower pace. I think it still exists in ND and other places in the midwest. I would have thought differently probably a number of years ago, but as we get older (mature?) we realize its not all about stuff, the weather, and malls. Its about our friends and neighbors and who we can help that are really in need. That is why I'm moving back to where I grew up. I know, its different for everyone, but I think its important to help out others..

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 PM

180 posts, read 634,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post

Energy > Tech

Actually I don't think Bismarck will surpass Fargo within the next 30 years. It will get closer to Fargo in terms of population - Bis-Man has a growth rate that is the highest in the state and seems to have an unstopable economy right now- but surpass Fargo-Moorehead, no way. There is a decent chance Bismarck-Mandan could become home to the largest # of North Dakotans in the forseable future (difference between Morton + Burleigh and Cass is only aprox 40,000 people) but pass Fargo-Moorehead, no way. There's just too big of a population gap.

The sad thing is the state of North Dakota has shot itself in the foot - no probably the lungs or something else more important - by refusing to allow a real state university in Bismarck. With its better climate, natural beauty, and energy industry (i.e. the part of the ND energy industry that has brains), Bismarck-Mandan has more potential than anywhere else in the state. Bismarck could be the next Boise but its hard to do so without a real state university.

I guess its more important to make sure Mayville stays open and NDSU doesn't have any competition though... God forbid BSC offers a four year program.

Last edited by ebitdadada; 01-10-2008 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: changing of alphanumeric charachters

Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 PM

103 posts, read 706,442 times
I think the energy industry could be the boost in the arm for Bismarck to compete with Fargo. You look at cities like Farmington, NM and Bakersfield, CA...their populations have tripled this past decade because of the thriving energy industry in their regions. Bismarck could possibly benefit from the same because of its location as a major town and proximaty to the western ND's oil and coal industries, which are thriving right now. It has the shopping, jet service, interstate system that could attract some major energy companies to make Bismarck their choice to set up their regional headquarters. I'd rather Dickinson or Williston benefit from this though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo