U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,436 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I'm asking this for a friend who currently has low quality Internet so I made this for him, and I quote:

"A young man in his early-20s who is somewhat reserved, and very respectful -- who enjoys sailing, fishing, bowling, golfing, gardening, running and cycling. I am a real estate broker and also have a license to practice law in a different state".

Essentially he's wondering how he would fit into the community in Fargo and how is the job outlook for his primary and secondary career (attorney and real estate broker).

Responses would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
Reputation: 304
I would think that it would be a fairly good fit. There is a lot of real estate activity going on currently. Employment for an attorney might be more of an issue. Law, like business, is still pretty much a good ol' boy network here. If you didn't graduate from UND or U of Minnesota law schools, I'm not sure how much any of the firms would look at you.
There are still active bowling leagues here--though I don't think it's as big of a thing here as in states like MI & OH. Definitely active cycling and running communities with Great Northern Cycles organizing group rides and various running clubs that prep for the Fargo Marathon and other regional runs. Golfing--a fairly high number of publicly owned golf courses per capita, so access to tee times isn't an issue at all. Gardening--the extension offices run master gardener programs on both sides of the river and there is a start of a Northern Plains Botanical Garden society that is working toward getting a public garden/conservatory established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Reputation: 3454
I agree with dutchinnd. Fargo could be a good fit. It is a nice, growing area. Fishing is big in the entire area....not a lot of spots immediately around but you got many lakes a short drive to the east in Minnesota and then Devils Lake ND. Our short summer season finds many people out to take advantage with golfing quite active along with running and cycling clubs. There are several indoor rec facilities or gyms to choose from in the cold season. Fargo and the surrounding area such as West Fargo and Moorhead will continue to grow and housing development remains in high demand. The rich soil of the Red River valley can grow just about anything, despite our short growing season -- short compared to of course to areas south. Generally rental and housing costs in Fargo are the cheapest in the state. Depending on the person lives now, it may or may not be more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Reputation: 3454
Here are some major events this year in the Fargo-Moorhead (F-M) area:

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/assets/...r_website2.pdf

Looking forward the the air show and the blue angels coming in late July. Ribfest is always nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Reputation: 3454
There is a large long range bicycle "race" in central North Dakota each year in early August.

CANDISC - Home


Here is another one along the Canadian border...
Bike the Border | The "Get Away From It All" Bicycle Tour


These are just a few....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 PM
 
15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
Reputation: 25604
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlossMoss View Post
I'm asking this for a friend who currently has low quality Internet so I made this for him, and I quote:

"A young man in his early-20s who is somewhat reserved, and very respectful -- who enjoys sailing, fishing, bowling, golfing, gardening, running and cycling. I am a real estate broker and also have a license to practice law in a different state".

Essentially he's wondering how he would fit into the community in Fargo and how is the job outlook for his primary and secondary career (attorney and real estate broker).

Responses would be appreciated!
What needs to be emphasized.....Outside of bowling.......These activities are limited to summer months...Since we can have winters that can last upwards of 9 months......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 05:43 PM
 
25 posts, read 41,058 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
What needs to be emphasized.....Outside of bowling.......These activities are limited to summer months...Since we can have winters that can last upwards of 9 months......
Yes we have long and cold winters but lets not exaggerate too much. 9 months of winter would mean what...June, July, and August for "nice" weather?? I've lived in ND for over 30 years and I'm pretty sure May is nice and so is June and lets not forget about September, my favorite month for weather in ND...

The chance that winter lasts for 9 months in ND is about the same chance that we have 9 months of summer...both are anomalies which I have yet to experience in this state. Now have we had below average temps in some months? Yes. But we have also had above average temps in certain months as well.
It all balances itself out at the end...

Do not be afraid of posts like this, other than the cold winters, this is the perfect state to live in to raise a family or just to work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Reputation: 3454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBizon View Post
Yes we have long and cold winters but lets not exaggerate too much. 9 months of winter would mean what...June, July, and August for "nice" weather?? I've lived in ND for over 30 years and I'm pretty sure May is nice and so is June and lets not forget about September, my favorite month for weather in ND...

The chance that winter lasts for 9 months in ND is about the same chance that we have 9 months of summer...both are anomalies which I have yet to experience in this state. Now have we had below average temps in some months? Yes. But we have also had above average temps in certain months as well.
It all balances itself out at the end...

Do not be afraid of posts like this, other than the cold winters, this is the perfect state to live in to raise a family or just to work...
agree.... May is often nice, but can be wet at times..June-July-Aug typical summer... September into mid October very nice....best time of the year.

I would say anytime from April 15 to October 15 has warm weather season....so that makes it 6 mo of warm season and 6 months of cold (cool) season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Also, don't forget that even during winter, not every day is cold. There are nice days in the middle of winter.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top