U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,573 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I recently came across an opportunity to move to North Dakota (most likely Fargo) for a great job. However, I lived in L.A. my whole life and I had never had to worry about extreme weathers, one of my many concerns. Is it too much of a change to move there and get use to? I'm especially afraid of tornadoes and extremely cold winters. None of which I've ever experienced.

Also, how are the people there? Being Asian American, I know we'll stand out if we were to move there. I have never heard about Fargo, ND until recently. If anyone has any information about the weather (specifically tornadoes), people, nightlife, etc in Fargo, it'd be really helpful. Need to make a decision soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM

511 posts, read 767,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maysaketun View Post
My boyfriend and I recently came across an opportunity to move to North Dakota (most likely Fargo) for a great job. However, I lived in L.A. my whole life and I had never had to worry about extreme weathers, one of my many concerns. Is it too much of a change to move there and get use to? I'm especially afraid of tornadoes and extremely cold winters. None of which I've ever experienced.

Also, how are the people there? Being Asian American, I know we'll stand out if we were to move there. I have never heard about Fargo, ND until recently. If anyone has any information about the weather (specifically tornadoes), people, nightlife, etc in Fargo, it'd be really helpful. Need to make a decision soon!

We seem to be north of the Tornado line. Winters are cold, for that matter so is the spring. One thing I like about the winters, it doesn't rain. It snows some, no rain. Fargo is cold. The people from Minnesota complain when they come to Fargo. It isn't the cold so much, it gets colder in Minnesota, it is the wind. It seems like it never stops blowing.

Asian American doesn't matter. There are enough here that you can get a bite of Asian food, but not so many that there is a sub culture.

There is some night life in Fargo, but it is small, and most people have families and work, however, downtown is a safe and fun place and the college crowd runs around downtown. As does this old geezer.

Personally the only thing I have found that bothers me is the allergens. You would think the winters would be allergy free, but not for me. Spring is worse.

On the other hand, the summers are glorious. The days are long, and the evenings are comfortable, but not so dry and cool as to not demand Air conditioning. There is a nurse that just moved here from Southern California, if you search this forum you should find a lot of information there.

If you have lived your whole life in Southern California you should definitely move here. You will never be afraid of a cold winter again. You might hate life,but you will not be afraid, and you will have awesome stories to tell.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM

511 posts, read 767,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maysaketun View Post

Wanting to move to Fargo as a brand new RN

Check this thread.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,088,990 times
Hi

I am a weather forecaster for the area (Natl Weather Service) and yeah the tornado threat this far north is rather low.... not zero and higher than LA of course but not like Nebraska or Kansas. Our severe storms are more strong gusty winds and/or hail. But each summer is different in terms of frequency of those affecting any one area. Extreme cold winters is something you cannot avoid, unlike severe weather. I would advise to keep an open mind and dont come to the area with any pre-conceived notions about how it will be like. Most people do adjust the cold pretty easily... its not like you are going to going for 3 mile walks in January. Unless your job takes you outside a lot, most of the time you spend outside will be from your car to the store and back. Also out shoveling or blowing....but if you rent that is done for you. And some rentals have underground parking too (more expensive ones) so you dont even have to scrape frost off the window.

Fargo's downtown is really coming alive and offers more than you would think. Fargo and the metro area is nearly 200K so it isnt some small town (by our standards). But certainly not like LA area .. no beaches or mountains .... you are in the middle of agricultural land with farming playing a huge role and miles and miles of open sky outside of town as the area is very flat.

My advise on moving into a colder climate, dont go overboard and buy winter clothes where you live. Most buy too much and never use half of it. Buy the essentials, good quality hat, gloves, coat and you will be fine.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,088,990 times
One thing about weather....wind is a constant factor....windy days are pretty common year round. Not damaging wind....but a 20-30 mph wind is the norm on many days. Also what you consider cold now vs after spending a winter here is going to be drastically different. Our cold though is a dry cold unlike the moist damp cold you may find further south. Oh and unlike the LA area....weather here in the Plains can vary greatly day to day....season to season....morning to afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or