U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,065,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgustafson View Post
I've never seen that movie... Does it have anything to do with the actual city of Fargo?
Not a thing, only a few minutes of it were actually even filmed in Fargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM

108 posts, read 401,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Not a thing, only a few minutes of it were actually even filmed in Fargo.
I don't think any of it was acutally filmed in fargo, maybe a few outside location set-up shots but I don't think the actors were ever actually in ND. The opening scene was supposed to be at a bar in Fargo, and the last scene was supposed to be at a motel outside of Bismarck, and I think I know what hotel that was supposed to be. The name of the movie came about because the guys who made it thought "Brainerd" was too boring of a title and somehow "Fargo" sounded more exciting so thats what they went with.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 4,782,975 times
haha interesting... yeah i think the only movie I can brag about is "Dances with Wolves"

Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 PM

74 posts, read 338,792 times
Some interesting facts about the "Fargo" movie-(from Wikipedia, so it is what it is, but there are some truisms):

Title

The title to the film, "Fargo," is named after the city of Fargo, North Dakota. However, the city itself plays a small role in the film only being seen in a wideshot for only a few seconds following one shot scene set in a bar. The rest of the film is completely set around Minnesota, mostly in Minneapolis and Brainerd. However, due to the mild winter of Minnesota during production, much of the film was, in fact, shot in North Dakota. On an interview on the Special Edition DVD, the Coens claimed that they titled the movie "Fargo" because it sounded more interesting than "Brainerd."

Locations

The unseasonably mild winter weather of early 1995 forced the crew to move locations frequently to find suitable snow-covered landscapes. Fake snow had to be used for many scenes. Pools and streams of meltwater are visible in many scenes. Fargo was also shot very cheaply after the Coens' recent box office failure, The Hudsucker Proxy.

Locations used during production include:

* King of Clubs, a bar shown at the beginning of the film was located in Northeast Minneapolis on Central Avenue. It has since been razed to make way for housing for people who are HIV-positive.
* The Pillsbury Ave. Minneapolis home of Doug Melroe and Denny Kemp includes the kitchen of the Lundegaards' house.
* The "Wally McCarthy Oldsmobile" car dealership located in the Minneapolis suburb of Richfield, located off of Interstate 494 and Penn Avenue. It has since been razed, and the site is currently home to Best Buy's corporate headquarters. The Wally McCarthy dealership still exists, now located in Roseville, to the north of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
* Ember's, a restaurant just west of the Louisiana exit on the frontage road (Wayzata Blvd.) of Interstate 394 in St. Louis Park. The location is now out of business and the building has been razed. It is now the location of an office building.
* Scenes with the Paul Bunyan statue were filmed on Pembina County Highway 1 near Bathgate, North Dakota.
* The kidnapper's hideout cabin is located north of Stillwater, Minnesota.
* The Edina, Minnesota Police Station was used for interior shots of the Brainerd Police Station
* Carl steals a license plate from the parking lot of the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport.
* Chanhassen Dinner Theatre was used for the Josť Feliciano concert.
* The Minneapolis Club Parking Ramp (located on 8th St. and 3rd Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota) was used for the scene where Wade delivers the money to Carl.
* Lakeside Club (located 10 Old Wildwood Rd, Mahtomedi, Minnesota) was used for the scene where police chief questions two strippers. The two are the hookers who were apparently hired to service the hired goons (one who was "funny-lookin'", and the other who was older and "looked like the Marlboro man").
* West of Bathgate, North Dakota on Pembina County Highway 1 was the location of the statue of Paul Bunyan.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,242 times
Default Fargo Vs. SIouxfalls

ii JUST MOVED FROM FARGO NOT TO LONG AGO. iT'S THE BEST PLACE i'VE BEEN TO. SiOUX FALLS MAY BE GETTiNG BiGGER BUT FARGO iS A BETTER PLACE TO LiVE, NOT REALLY A WHOLE LOT OF JOBS TO LOOK FOR COMPARED TO SiOUXFALLS. SiOUXFALLS iS A LiTTLE MORE ADVANCED FROM THE LAST TiME ii WAS LiViNG THERE.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM

47 posts, read 202,329 times
Now you are talking about some hearty Army mess hall food! Nothing compares to the way the Army made it. The closest is Arby's. But it is too gooey. I throw some hot sauce on it and I'm good to go, as we used to say. In fact, I put hot sauce on anything and it improves it.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:26 PM

47 posts, read 202,329 times
Hey! I live in Bryn Mawr!!! We shot a comedy/adventure movie at Wirth Woods called "Sven & Sofia." And we have made a total of five movies that went to video and appeared on cable.

You KNOW your "Fargo" movie very well. It is my favorite Coen Bros movie. We love the sly name-dropping. "You'd better go see Bill Diehl." And who was that car dealer? Dang I can't recall it. But I LMFAO when I heard it. Not Grossman. Name like that. Guy had his hand into everything. Probably funded the movie. Same way with Bill Diehl, the old WDGY DJ. You probably know that Bill shoots a lot of indy film for fun.

Uh, we should meet. How about the corner coffee shop at 230 So Cedar Lake Road? I live a block away. If not, hi anyway! I have posted about our shooting Terror at Outlaw Creek that we did near Sioux Falls at Garretson at the Pinnacles.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 PM

574 posts, read 843,330 times
Sioux falls is the beyer of the two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or