Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,469 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are building a house in fargo with a local home builder. However after its half way done, they realized that they put a 8 feet basement instead of 9 like I requested for. I signed on the plans for a 9 feet basement and this is a big deal for me because my basement was going to be my entertainment center. Our realtor talked about the possibility of getting a different lot and buding again, buy we've grown attached to the house as we visit it everyday and look at the progress. Realtor recommends that we get some other stuff done for free and of ourse remove the $$$$ for the 9 feet ceiling from the house cost. I would have picked the 9 ft ceilings over all these, but the damage has been done. I dont know what would be a fair compensation or how much worth of free stuff i can get done. Comments? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:50 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashboini View Post
Hello,
We are building a house in fargo with a local home builder. However after its half way done, they realized that they put a 8 feet basement instead of 9 like I requested for. I signed on the plans for a 9 feet basement and this is a big deal for me because my basement was going to be my entertainment center. Our realtor talked about the possibility of getting a different lot and buding again, buy we've grown attached to the house as we visit it everyday and look at the progress. Realtor recommends that we get some other stuff done for free and of ourse remove the $$$$ for the 9 feet ceiling from the house cost. I would have picked the 9 ft ceilings over all these, but the damage has been done. I dont know what would be a fair compensation or how much worth of free stuff i can get done. Comments? Suggestions?
We are not ignoring you. We don't have answers.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 PM

25 posts, read 55,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
We are not ignoring you. We don't have answers.
THIS ^^^^^^

Keep hounding the contractors about getting "extras" until you are satisfied...good luck.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 AM

11 posts, read 8,754 times
We can't suggest fair compensation for you. Its all up to you, what you feel to be the fair compensation or how much worth f free stuff you can get done for you

Old 06-10-2015, 04:41 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Me, I'd upgrade my HVAC system and roofing material.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Wow! That's a major blunder that would be very expensive to fix at this point. We had something similar happen to a new home many years ago. It was a large townhouse (3200 sq ft), and they poured one basement wall one foot inside where it was supposed to be the whole side of the house, 40-50 feet, which meant the master bedroom was a foot smaller than it was designed to be (as well as several hall closets and another bedroom plus the basement). Like you, we were under contract with it before construction began and picked the one we wanted based on location and other things that couldn't be duplicated on another one

I don't think you can expect the builder to remove everything and start over, so if you can find another lot to start fresh on, it might be the best bet in the long run. Or just learn to live with the lower basement ceilings. I have the low ceilings in my finished basement. I don't like them, but it's what the house had when I bought it so I don't think about them. I'm just afraid you're going to regret your low ceilings for as long as you're in the house, since you'd ordered it otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: