U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2015, 02:23 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,318 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello

I will be moving to Fargo in a few months with my family because of a job offer at Sanford. It's pretty scary as I have never lived anywhere outside of Jamaica. I don't know what to expect. I've been reading the posts which have been pretty helpful in telling about the weather. However I have not heard anything as it relates to schools. Will it be easy to find a school in Fargo to enroll my 6yrs old daughter? Is it easy to find my way around town? Will I need a car? Can I get a car to buy there? Any information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 PM
 
Location: E ND & NW MN
4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Reputation: 3454
Hi there

Boy you are in for a shock... beaches to the middle of land locked America. But you shall adjust to the weather and area....most do. You can always visit family in Jamaica, which not many can say. Anyhow....yeah you read about the weather. Highly variable season to season....much much different than Jamaica. No hurricanes at least.

Yes you can easily enroll your child in the public schools. Depends of course where you live....in Fargo or West Fargo....as each elementary school as attendance boundaries. You can wait til you move up and find a place then enroll. Public school boundaries are on district websites....or you can just call. But public school registration is easy and free. Now you will have to be sure your child immunization is up to date to U.S. standards....he/she may already be...but double check.

I would get a car....and you can get a car easily here. Plenty of used car lots, etc. Bus system is ok....but with child it would be quite difficult to rely on that alone. Fargo as is much of the U.S. and esp the Midwest is sprawling in size and not compact thus making a car a necessity for all but the most hardy.

Fargo has had steady growth over the last two decades and not slowing down. West Fargo to the west is growing the fastest and new schools opening up and in need of more as the school age population increases. Moorhead MN too is an option....but if renting the income tax is quite higher than in ND and makes more sense to live in ND. If you are working at the new Sanford hospital area most of that area is in West Fargo public schools...even though address is city of Fargo. I wouldnt worry about either district or schools....all are are good and safe IMO. No worries there.

I live about 70 miles north of Fargo-Moorhead on the MN side of the Red river. Welcome.

The population has gotten much more diverse in recent years with many different cultures....it isnt like a big city....but there is plenty to do and still family friendly and family oriented. There are several colleges in the area....so many chances to go back to school if you desire.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 02:21 PM
 
66 posts, read 74,419 times
Reputation: 38
I have an interview in Jamestown, which is not Fargo I know. The company is flying me up there and I want to know if it is normal for companies in North Dakota to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Everywhere.
510 posts, read 704,825 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
I have an interview in Jamestown, which is not Fargo I know. The company is flying me up there and I want to know if it is normal for companies in North Dakota to do that?
Some companies in ND will do that, very normal if oil-related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM
 
66 posts, read 74,419 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
Some companies in ND will do that, very normal if oil-related.
it is not oil related lol. It is for an entry level job too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM
 
2 posts, read 3,318 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi there

Boy you are in for a shock... beaches to the middle of land locked America. But you shall adjust to the weather and area....most do. You can always visit family in Jamaica, which not many can say. Anyhow....yeah you read about the weather. Highly variable season to season....much much different than Jamaica. No hurricanes at least.

Yes you can easily enroll your child in the public schools. Depends of course where you live....in Fargo or West Fargo....as each elementary school as attendance boundaries. You can wait til you move up and find a place then enroll. Public school boundaries are on district websites....or you can just call. But public school registration is easy and free. Now you will have to be sure your child immunization is up to date to U.S. standards....he/she may already be...but double check.

I would get a car....and you can get a car easily here. Plenty of used car lots, etc. Bus system is ok....but with child it would be quite difficult to rely on that alone. Fargo as is much of the U.S. and esp the Midwest is sprawling in size and not compact thus making a car a necessity for all but the most hardy.

Fargo has had steady growth over the last two decades and not slowing down. West Fargo to the west is growing the fastest and new schools opening up and in need of more as the school age population increases. Moorhead MN too is an option....but if renting the income tax is quite higher than in ND and makes more sense to live in ND. If you are working at the new Sanford hospital area most of that area is in West Fargo public schools...even though address is city of Fargo. I wouldnt worry about either district or schools....all are are good and safe IMO. No worries there.

I live about 70 miles north of Fargo-Moorhead on the MN side of the Red river. Welcome.

The population has gotten much more diverse in recent years with many different cultures....it isnt like a big city....but there is plenty to do and still family friendly and family oriented. There are several colleges in the area....so many chances to go back to school if you desire.

Dan
Thank you so much Dan for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2015, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Fargo ND
809 posts, read 566,825 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
I have an interview in Jamestown, which is not Fargo I know. The company is flying me up there and I want to know if it is normal for companies in North Dakota to do that?
yes, they are desperate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top