U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM

66 posts, read 74,419 times

Advertisements

Also, how much would 32k for a single male fly in North Dakota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,807 times
Are you talking about a daily commute, or just traveling for culture/something to do?

Fargo to Jamestown is a fairly long, boring drive. It is an hour and a half in good conditions, and much, much longer in bad conditions. Outside of Valley City, there are no real cities or towns between Casselton and Fargo, which means driving through a lot of open prairie. In the winter than means lots of blowing snow and bad driving conditions. It isn't really something I would recommend for a daily commute.

As far as the salary, $32k would be decent in the Jamestown area. The Fargo cost of living is pretty close to the national average, so $32k might be a little low in Fargo. A single guy living in an apartment downtown could do fine on $32 though.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 PM

66 posts, read 74,419 times
can't find **** in Jamestown fml.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 PM

15,511 posts, read 12,502,834 times
My wife and I travel nearly once a week from 40 Miles SE of Jamestown to Fargo. We have weekly appointments at the VA hospital

We do not get on the Interstate until Valley city. Even once a week we often have to cancel our Doctor appointments in the winter months because of driving conditions. so far this year (2016) we had to stay over in Fargo at a Motel twice because of road conditions.

We do drive a self contained van, but even so it can be rugged winter driving even on the interstate. A couple years ago we got stuck in snow on the Interstate for 2 days. Fortunately we do travel self contained and prepared to spend several days on the side of the road if need be. but it is costly to drive a rig like that. Each trip costs us over $100 in gas.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 01-27-2016, 02:40 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
If something temporary....it is doable in the warm season. But for something long term.... too far IMO. And in winter too many weather variables come into play for a safe drive on a regular basis. Once a week fine....but 3-4-5 times a week no way.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,371,884 times
From the ND picture sticky: random snow day

Old 02-02-2016, 01:14 PM

35 posts, read 57,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
Also, how much would 32k for a single male fly in North Dakota?
The cost of living is pretty high in ND so I don't think $32k will go too far, even for a single guy.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:01 PM

90 posts, read 221,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTownDude View Post
The cost of living is pretty high in ND so I don't think $32k will go too far, even for a single guy.
IDK what you're looking at, but the cost of living in ND (Fargo especially) is extremely low. Sure, it is rising a bit because it's booming, but it is very low.
You can score a 2 bedroom apartment for $600 or less.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:47 PM

809 posts, read 566,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTownDude View Post
agreed

I moved here from Phoenix AZ and was shocked at how much more everything costs here in Fargo when compared to Phoenix AZ

my auto insurance doubled, same car same driver
sold my house in PHX for $180k... bought the same house here for $260k
property tax was $1400/yr in phx, over $3000/yr here

there are very few auto repair facilities, they have a waiting list, takes a week or 2 just to get your car in there and they are very expensive

In talking to people at work it seems they are conditioned to pay "sticker price" for new cars, I looked at a new Mazda and they had a hang-tag on the mirror with a discount $500 off MSRP, when i tried to negotiate they made it very clear that was NOT going to happen (the rest of the country is paying invoice)..... you will have to drive to MPLS to get an invoice deal

I love this town and i think you will too, it's a great place with great people, but the low cost of living argument is relative

Is it lower then NY, LA, Honolulu, San Francisco?.... yes, but keep in mind that those cities are also known for higher wages/salaries whereas the salaries here in Fargo are on par with cities with a much lower cost of living

Old 02-19-2016, 01:27 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
agreed

I moved here from Phoenix AZ and was shocked at how much more everything costs here in Fargo when compared to Phoenix AZ

my auto insurance doubled, same car same driver
sold my house in PHX for $180k... bought the same house here for $260k
property tax was $1400/yr in phx, over $3000/yr here

there are very few auto repair facilities, they have a waiting list, takes a week or 2 just to get your car in there and they are very expensive.

In talking to people at work it seems they are conditioned to pay "sticker price" for new cars, I looked at a new Mazda and they had a hang-tag on the mirror with a discount $500 off MSRP, when i tried to negotiate they made it very clear that was NOT going to happen (the rest of the country is paying invoice)..... you will have to drive to MPLS to get an invoice deal

I love this town and i think you will too, it's a great place with great people, but the low cost of living argument is relative

Is it lower then NY, LA, Honolulu, San Francisco?.... yes, but keep in mind that those cities are also known for higher wages/salaries whereas the salaries here in Fargo are on par with cities with a much lower cost of living
Great post and so truthful with the prices. And remember Fargo is the cheapest of the cities in North Dakota.

In the Grand Forks area.... new home prices start around 270-280K for the most part and that is basic....upgrades will send you into the 300's easily. And on top of property taxes you have specials on new homes too. There are new homes near the new south end Grand Forks elementary school....nothing special....but nice. Rather small lots... They go for 319 to 349k and come with 36k in specials that will be added on yearly to your property taxes. Yikes!

I am surprised about the car insurance....as I found it reasonable and comparable to where I moved from in southern Missouri.

Yes North Dakota is not for the cheap and thus with wages supressed in general there are a lot more home poor folks than many realize. I live in East Grand Forks MN (across the Red).

Now you will find much cheaper housing in small towns beyond 50 miles from the larger cities...which can work if you can work from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or