U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,834 times

Advertisements

I need a lot of advise, I am a single mother,who wants to relocate to West Fargo ND,for a job,I just want the financial stability for right now. Also I have 3 adorable children,and did I mention we are moving from down south Atlanta-Ga. I am hoping the schools I am looking into,Sheyenne High school for my 10th grader and Liberty middle for my 7 th grader will be a great school for them. I am nervous,securing my nursing job was easy,but I am worried that we will like it over there when we get there.My children are into sports,they also love swimming,and outdoors,also they are in the stem program as well,how worried should I be? I just want to live there for about 4 years to get my finances right,I will be fine but worried sick for my children. Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM

7,032 posts, read 8,191,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifty Greenleaf View Post
I need a lot of advise, I am a single mother,who wants to relocate to West Fargo ND,for a job,I just want the financial stability for right now. Also I have 3 adorable children,and did I mention we are moving from down south Atlanta-Ga. I am hoping the schools I am looking into,Sheyenne High school for my 10th grader and Liberty middle for my 7 th grader will be a great school for them. I am nervous,securing my nursing job was easy,but I am worried that we will like it over there when we get there.My children are into sports,they also love swimming,and outdoors,also they are in the stem program as well,how worried should I be? I just want to live there for about 4 years to get my finances right,I will be fine but worried sick for my children. Any advise?
Hi, I don't live in West Fargo but can answer at least some of these. North Dakota in general has good schools. There is a lot of investment in education in this state. North Dakota also,has quite and emphasis on sports so that will definitely not be too much of a concern. As far as the outdoors there are outdoorsy activities available there and when you cross the border into Minnesota. I'm not sure how STEM programs are but likely not much to worry about.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
I do not live in Fargo....But over the years I have heard some good things about West Fargo...it seems to be an entity of and in itself....and at least from what I've seen, read it is a pretty active community.

Others will likely add more informed knowledge.

I hope these links will help;

This City Date website, homepage...has some of the greatest information on any city in the U.S. Simply type in West Fargo , N.D.
http://www.city-data.com/indexes/neighborhoods/ND/1/

Sheyenne H.S. website:
https://www.west-fargo.k12.nd.us/schools/sheyenne/

Liberty Middle School website:
https://www.west-fargo.k12.nd.us/schools/liberty/

West Fargo Park and Recreation website:
http://wfparks.org/

City of West Fargo website
City of West Fargo Official Website

Neighborhood websites:
https://nextdoor.com/city/west-fargo--nd/

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Media:
http://www.inforum.com/
http://www.valleynewslive.com/

N.D. Lots to do:
http://www.ndtourism.com/

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 PM

600 posts, read 1,107,337 times
Yes, go there asap. Fargo is the hub of the region and offers a lot on the cheap. A great place to get back on your feet. People are also pretty friendly.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
Cheap is relative.... cheapest living of the North Dakota cities. But yes the Fargo metro has many opportunities and West Fargo has a very good school system. Sheyenne HS is pretty new....and the public schools in WF are very good, but do have some overcrowding issues still. WF will need to build more schools. But WF is a nice place and growing place that area of Verterans Blvd near the new Sanford hospital is growing very fast....

Old 03-23-2017, 07:09 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,853,516 times
I've got nothing OP - but your plan sounds like a really good one.
Best of luck!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM

600 posts, read 1,107,337 times
Fargo cost of living is below the national average, which is the definition of cheap. Atlanta is booming just like Minneapolis and the Texas cities - all of which have rapidly rising costs of living well above the national average.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Hi, I don't live in West Fargo but can answer at least some of these. North Dakota in general has good schools. There is a lot of investment in education in this state. North Dakota also,has quite and emphasis on sports so that will definitely not be too much of a concern. As far as the outdoors there are outdoorsy activities available there and when you cross the border into Minnesota. I'm not sure how STEM programs are but likely not much to worry about.
Thank you so much, your response has been helpful

Old 04-02-2017, 09:28 PM

511 posts, read 767,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifty Greenleaf View Post
Thank you so much, your response has been helpful
First, let me say: I was born and raised on the Texas Gulf Coast. Until I studied history in school, I thought everyone that lived north of interstate 10 was a Yankee.

I spent about 18 months in Fargo, I arrived in December of 2013, that winter was so cold the natives were complaining. The second winter was milder and I had moved to an apartment with a garage.

The area around Fargo is flat. Very flat. There are some elevation changes and trees in old town and along the river. West Fargo is in the featureless area. I lived down by the river and loved it.

In the south we tend to think the suburbs are good, the inner city is bad. This is not so in Fargo. I suspect that this is because land is very expensive because it is very valuable as farm land. So the cost to move out of town doesn't really save enough to pay for the commute. Also, there are times you simply cannot travel, and there are more times outside the city than inside.

Because of this there is very little blight, there are some rough neighborhoods, but they are scattered and can be found anywhere.

The winters are cold. You will need to find a way to stay fit in the winter, budget money for the YMCA or other fitness clubs. Unlike the south, the YMCA is a pretty nice place. You will want to stay fit because the summers are glorious. The days start early and end late and they are not so hot that you cannot enjoy them.

If you are not anti religious I suggest joining a church. There are many to choose from, but the area is dominated by Catholic and Lutheran churches. Even if you are a worship at home Christian, an affiliation gives you a reason to break isolation on Sundays, and getting out in sub zero weather takes a reason.

Fargo is not as cold as Northern Minnisota, and it is a dry cold. I switched to moisturizing soap in late October and used it until May. The same for a nylon base layer and wool socks. It is however windy. There will be days when it is sub zero with a 40 mph wind blowing. You will know, even if God loves you, Mother Nature doesn't like you at all. It seems personal. The folks from Northern Minnisota complain that it feels colder in Fargo.

On the other hand, once the first tulips push through the snow, you will know it is time, time for life to be new. By the end of the summer, you will know that no matter how bad the winter, it is worth it.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 04-03-2017, 10:42 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
You will know, even if God loves you, Mother Nature doesn't like you at all. It seems personal. The folks from Northern Minnisota complain that it feels colder in Fargo. Qazulight

You write well, Qazulight. I wish you would start a blog about your experiences living in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or