Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 AM

26 posts, read 56,578 times

Advertisements

(Yes, it should be obvious that I mean in F-M due to posting in the Fargo forum; but the original title was just "Tennis, anyone?" and the board software didn't allow that due to its having already been used in the Atlanta forum.)

I recently moved to Moorhead and although I love it here overall, I do miss the tennis opponents I left behind. I understand that it won't be a terribly long fall and winter will be here before we know it. So with however many weeks are left, I'd like to play!

Years ago, I was officially evaluated by a teaching pro and rated a 3.5 on the NTRP scale. Since then, I've gotten fatter and slower. But I've also gotten craftier. So all in all, I think I could still handle a 3.0 player fairly well.

For reference, if you play but aren't familiar with this rating system:

Quote:
1.0 This player is just starting to play tennis.

1.5 This player has limited playing experience and is still working primarily on getting the ball into play.

2.0 This player needs on-court experience. This player has obvious stroke weaknesses but is familiar with basic positions for singles and doubles play.

2.5 This player is learning to judge where the ball is going although court coverage is weak. This player can sustain a slow rally with other players of same ability.

3.0 This player is consistent when hitting medium pace shots, but is not comfortable with all strokes and lacks control when trying for directional intent, depth, or power.

3.5 This player has achieved improved stroke dependability and direction on moderate pace shots, but still lacks depth and variety. This player exhibits more aggressive net play, has improved court coverage and is developing teamwork in doubles.

4.0 This player has dependable strokes, including directional intent, on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate shots, plus the ability to use lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys with some success. This player occasionally forces errors when serving and teamwork in doubles is evident.

4.5 This player has begun to master the use of power and spins and is beginning to handle pace, has sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and is beginning to vary tactics according to opponents. This player can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve and is able to rush the net successfully.

5.0 This player has good shot anticipation and frequently has an outstanding shot or attribute around which a game may be structured. This player can regularly hit winners or force errors off of short balls, can put away volleys, can successfully execute lobs, drop shots, half volleys and overhead smashes, and has good depth and spin on most second serves.

5.5 This player has developed power and/or consistency as a major weapon. This player can vary strategies and styles of play in a competitive situation and hits dependable shots in a stress situation.

6.0 These players will generally not need NRTP rankings. Rankings or past rankings will speak for themselves. The 6.0 player typically has had intensive training for national tournament competition at the junior level and collegiate levels and has obtained a sectional or national ranking.
I feel these descriptions make my game sound worse than it is, and for that matter worse than it was when I was rated a 3.5. Seems like there's the opposite of grade inflation in that whole scheme. The description of 4.0 actually sounds more like the way I play when I'm at my best, except that I'm inconsistent, my second serve sucks as does my overhead smash, and (again) I'm too slow to cover the court as effectively as such a player ideally would.

Anyway, all that info is, more than anything, for the benefit of those considering whether they want to hit with me. Personally, I'm glad to play with people a fair bit better or worse than I am. And I'm willing to travel to your home court, anywhere in the F-M area. Just want to get out and play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,844 times
Courts Plus is the center for indoor tennis in the FM area for the coming winter season. The pros there would be able to answer your questions and possibly make referrals.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 AM

26 posts, read 56,578 times
I got similar feedback from a FM tennis organization. But I can't afford indoor tennis. I realize some might wonder "why did you move to FM then?" given the local climate. Be that as it may, what I am looking for is people who want to play outside, for free. Right now, before it gets too cold; and then again the spring (however late that may be).

Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,844 times
The only other possible link that I know of it that the regional rep of the USTA for the Dakotas actually lives in Moorhead. Her name is Carolyn Kramer and you should be able to find contact information for her on the USTA Northern Staff site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo