U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 4,507 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to Fargo in the next 60 days with our 20 yr old daughter who will attend college majoring in Psychology. We are 50 years old and want to buy a house right away probably in the $250,000 to $350,000 range. Any recommendations for areas? Also, do any of the colleges waive out of state tuition if we are being transferred for hubby’s full time job? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 PM

4,730 posts, read 9,081,168 times
I am assuming attending NDSU... here is some info

https://www.ndsu.edu/registrar/recor...y/northdakota/

https://www.ndsu.edu/onestop/account...odel_fall2018/

If you move and have a residence before the start of the school year my assumption is you will be ok. But I would contact NDSU.

As for Fargo housing....if you want newer construction, which your budget is good for, then building is all south. I live about 70 miles north of Fargo and while been to Fargo many times, never lived there. Thus I can't comment on specific streets too much, but I do know Rose Creek and Woodhaven are some nice areas....as well as Bluemont Lakes.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Thank you for your reply and the links. I will definitely check them out. Last summer we moved to Utah from Montana and I am just now learning answers to questions I should have asked beforehand.

Is there a sales tax in ND? Does ND allow you to file joint but separately on state income taxes (We lived 1/2 year in MT and received refund but had to pay state of Utah taxes)? Will an income of $80,000 be enough to live on or will I need to work also? Is it cheaper to buy a vehicle there or drive to Minneapolis? How are auto and home insurance rates? What about the cost of groceries and utilities?

I have read through half the posts in this forum but notice they are older and am wondering if circumstances have changed at all. This website was so helpful when relocating last summer. I appreciate any information as time is of the essence (hubby has only 5 days to accept offer).

Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
Yes, there is a sales tax. For Fargo and West Fargo, combining state, county, and city sales taxes the current rate is 7.5%. For Moorhead, just over the river in MN, it's 6.875% (and there is no sales tax on clothes and shoes).
If you haven't already looked at it, some basic numbers are on the Chamber of Commerce's web site.
$80,000 is definitely above the median household income for the metro area, but since I don't know what your expectations are for standard of living so can't say whether you would find $80K to be sufficient.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkshoppercarol View Post
Thank you for your reply and the links. I will definitely check them out. Last summer we moved to Utah from Montana and I am just now learning answers to questions I should have asked beforehand.

Is there a sales tax in ND? Does ND allow you to file joint but separately on state income taxes (We lived 1/2 year in MT and received refund but had to pay state of Utah taxes)? Will an income of $80,000 be enough to live on or will I need to work also? Is it cheaper to buy a vehicle there or drive to Minneapolis? How are auto and home insurance rates? What about the cost of groceries and utilities?

I have read through half the posts in this forum but notice they are older and am wondering if circumstances have changed at all. This website was so helpful when relocating last summer. I appreciate any information as time is of the essence (hubby has only 5 days to accept offer).
I not able to answer all your questions... but one word of advice when home shopping check on the specials. New developments can have tens of thousands of specials...usually issued in a loan to be repaid back over 15 or 20 years and this yearly amount is then added to the real estate taxes and paid as part of the escrow with your monthly mortgage payment. You may or may not have had specials where you were at.

Vehicle prices.....Fargo has good enough variety and competition I'm not so sure driving to MSP is better with auto shopping. Auto rates are reasonable as are home insurance rates.... but both have many variables so unable to compare. Grocery costs I would say are a bit higher than southern parts of the country (that goes for home prices and fuel as well). But Fargo due to more competition is often cheapest on most goods and fuel than any other parts of the state/region.

I havent lived in Utah or Montana but I would imagine most costs are comparable... housing may be higher (but depends) but specials are the one thing that may be surprising if not dealt with in other places.

Fargo continues to grow...esp south....toward Davies HS. Parts of Fargo (SW part -- Osgood area) are in the west Fargo school district which continues to grow quickly. They added a new high school a couple years ago and soon may need a third. South West Fargo continues to grow fast...adjacent to south fargo there...esp south of 52nd Ave S.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I will definitely look into the specials. Fargo looks like a nice place to live. We are looking forward to our new adventure.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkshoppercarol View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. I will definitely look into the specials. Fargo looks like a nice place to live. We are looking forward to our new adventure.
The area as a whole is pretty nice....Fargo/West Fargo is the the growth engine of the area and has been for years. There are some growing pains as always. For some weather can take some time getting used to...but that is the way whenever you change climate zones.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 PM

511 posts, read 767,120 times
Fargo is different than most American Cities. There is little flight to the rural areas. I do not know why, I am guessing it is a combination of valuable rural land and inhospitable winters that make driving difficult.

I lived in Fargo for two winters and a summer. I loved it. I lived downtown, the apartment complex was torn down for the new flood wall.

If your daughter is going to live with you, there are nice, and some not so nice neighborhoods near the college. If you live North of downtown the homes are smaller, in general, and newer, as in 50 years old instead of 100 years old. There is a cool neighborhood just north of downtown and east of Broadway, a little too far to walk to college, that has ginger bread houses. If one comes up far sale, you will pay for it, and they are set up for mid century living.

There are other less picturesque nieghborhoods that are walking distance to college.

South of downtown the old homes are larger and older. Some are projects to be redone and others are show pieces.

Unless things have changed, crime is very low and is pretty much isolated to a few spots. Unless your situation demands it, renting is a very good option in Fargo. There is one complex north of downtown and on Broadway with garages, indoor pool and heat paid. From there it is walking distance to downtown and the college.

There are fairly new lofts downtown. They can be very reasonable to very expensive. They do not have indoor pools, so the Y will be important. The Y is a nice facility, the new pool should be open by now.

There are a lot of activities downtown and at the college. The Fargo/Moorhead area has a strong sense of community and the close the streets and have festivals often in the summer. In the winter there are a lot of artsy type things going on, film festivals, art shows, plays etc.

The newspaper is worth having for the first year. It has a lot of the weekend activities.

Specials are an interesting thing. Your road gets fixed and runs up the value of your house? Great, you should pay for it. Seems odd to me, but it seems to work.

If your daughter has not been accepted to NDSU, there is a good college in Moorhead, across the river in Minnesota. The houses tend to be cheaper in Moorhead, but the state income taxes are higher. The situation seems to favor sub 100k households in Moorhead and plus 100 k households in Fargo. I do not know this for sure, I lived and worked in Fargo.

There is a nice bike path along the river and some parks as well. Once you get away from the river and older sections of town, both trees and elevation changes become scarce.

I loved my time in Fargo and it is a place I would live for a while if given the chance.

Good luck

Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or