U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-16-2006, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 36,875 times

Advertisements

I recently had two interviews, one in Fargo and the other in Duluth. It seems that I might got offers from both. Although I am from Texas, cold weather is not a big deal for me (I spent my childhood in very cold areas in another country).

I have never been to the two cities. My question is, for Fargo and Duluth, which one is better for me? I have a 9-year-old son, and my husband is a mechanical engineer (heavy machinery/materials handling). We don't have much money, and cost of living is certainly a big factor for us. Job opportunities for my husband is another significant criterion we need to consider. We are not the kind of people who like sports a lot, such as hunting or fishing, although we all like swimming. We are also interested in which city is more open-minded considering our race (Asian). I appreciate any comments from people who are familiar with the two cities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 05:55 PM

3,735 posts, read 5,507,797 times
I live up in Grand Forks ND/East Grand Forks MN (live in EGF but work in GF)...

I have been to Fargo many times since I moved to the area in 1996 and I have been to Duluth twice. Below are two links to discussions that have been on the Minnesota forum regarding Duluth and will list them below and have you check them out.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...th-duluth.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...rior-help.html

To me, the choice between living in the two cities is what type of area or topography do you want to live in. Fargo and the West Fargo-Moorhead MN area has been growing rapidly since the mid 90s and has the lowest unemployment rate in the area (under 2 percent) and lots of growth and companies moving to the area. Now, I dont know a thing about machinery jobs, but with a metro pop of 150,000 +/- surely there are jobs as you mentioned around. Fargo is clean and attractive and very safe. It is darn cold in the winter with lots of wind and the surrrounding terrain is flat farmland...but Minnesota lake country is only 45 min-1 hr east where there is a large amount of fishing/lake cabins/boating, etc.

Now, Duluth is a bit older town overall and is very hilly with three distinct areas: down along the lakeshore, along the hillside, and over the hill on the northwest side around the airport. The area over the hill is newer, while more historic older homes are closer to the lake. Duluth would be an older home and maybe a bit more expensive I have heard. But you are right in the thick of hills and trees versus flat generally few trees that are around Fargo.

Overall Fargo has a bit colder temps than Duluth....with Duluth have a colder summer being near the water. Duluth does get more snow and cloudy days.

I personally would pick Fargo hands down due to is being very progressive and pro growth-business and for just overall attractiveness. But I am biased in that I like the red river valley and its flatness....

Dan

Old 12-16-2006, 06:04 PM

I re-read your message....and for cost of living and housing I do know that Fargo and West Fargo have quite a large number of new homes for sale with from what I have seen average entry level new homes (3bd/2a/2car) split level (2000 sq ft or so) starting around 150-160,000. A rough guide that is. I am not familiar with Duluth.

As for schools Fargo schools are good with the south end being the newer growth. Also lots of growth in West Fargo (a separate town) and in the southern part of Moorhead MN. Schools in West Fargo are also good. No one really has bad schools. Thankfully gangs as in other cities it size has not made an entrance yet.

As for your question about being Asian and fitting in...I would think both cities would be fine without any troubles. Both cities have relatively small minority populations....I know Fargo and the Lutheran churches have taken in a lot of folks from Serbia/Crotia over the last few years so maybe a better mix would be in Fargo for different ethnicities. I dont know about Duluth but I cant think of any reason why you would have issues there.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:24 AM

Thanks so much, DaninEGF. I've read your posts and checked the two links. It seems that Fargo is a better choice for us. Driving on the steep streets of Duluth in winter is scary for me. Most important of all, Fargo is more economically active than Duluth, which will certainly produce more job opportunities. If I do get the offer from the university in Fargo, I guess I will accept it. Again I appreciate your detailed responses.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:56 AM

I am glad I was of some help. Regarding your latest post, I assume you are talking about NDSU (North Dakota State Univ). It is a good school and a growing university with the number of students about the same now as Univ of ND which is located here in Grand Forks. Both are big rivals in just about everything. NDSU is located on the north side of town pretty close to the airport. Most of the growth is on the south side of town....South of I-94 and just east or west of I-29. No matter what...would not be a long commute you can just hope up University Ave through town or take I-29 north and exit at 19th Ave N. They just finished with the re-construction project on I-29 to make it 3 lanes. I dont know where you live now in terms of traffic....but you wont have any traffic backups and such on I-29. Through town, just the usual stop lights, etc and traffic can be heavy on major roads such as 13th Ave South (where the big mall and most shopping is) and on University through town.

I hope you will like it. Fargo is a nice town with many things to do....but small enough so it doesnt fill like a big city (at least if you have lived in a big city before). For our area it is becoming big. People are very nice and the city attractive. Main Street (east-west) through the city is slated for some work the next few years as it has more of the older look to it. Downtown is also nice.

Dan

Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 AM

85 posts, read 289,072 times
I think Fargo is a good choice. I work in Fargo, and I really like it here. I also really like Duluth. The cost of living probably isn't too much different, but Fargo is experiencing more economic growth. Being a white guy from Minnesota, I might not have the necessary perspective to say for sure how open-minded people are regarding your race, but I can't imagine you would have any problem. I've worked with people from Korea, China, India, and other countries, and they seem to like it here. I've never heard of any problems.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the information. After the phone interviews, it seems that I have a good chance in Duluth, and they invited me for a visit in the end of Jan. By that time, I might once again seek help here, if I decide to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo