Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 AM

5 posts, read 38,148 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!
This is my first post here, I'll moving from Iraq to Fargo, ND. I'm Iraqi engineer I was working with the American troops, that's how I get the chance to move to America.
I get a lot of information (from my American friend and from the internet) about the west and east coast states and large cities, but I don't have that much of information about ND. I don't know if it a diverse community here? I don't know if the people are friendly to the new immigrants?
Also, it would be great if you guys tell me much stuff about Fargo, like house rent cost, employment opportunities, parks, and the prices in the local market comparing the neighboring states.

Thank u so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 AM

419 posts, read 1,392,574 times
Here is a good place to start for information--The Chamber of Commerce of Fargo-Moorhead. There are a lot of basic cost of living statistics, etc. on their site.
Fargo actually does have a fair number of recent immigrants. It is home to North Dakota State University, which has a number of international students and faculty. Also, Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota has resettled refugees in Fargo for decades. I wouldn't say that everyone is open and welcoming, however. But basically, those individuals who have come, worked hard, and made their own way are respected. Those who haven't and haven't respected the rule of law here, are not respected.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:25 PM

37 posts, read 155,938 times
Fargo does have a fairly large population of immigrants from Africa particularly from Somalia that seem to integrate well into the community. Fargo seems more progressive then other cities in North Dakota and has a more open minded feel to it. If you are interested in jobs go to Job Service North Dakota which is the states Job Service website and the largest database for jobs in the state. Also you can visit IN-FORUM which is the Fargo Forum's website the largest newspaper in the city and probably the state.

not alot of info from me but hope it helps. fargo is an enjoyable city if you make the most it

Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 AM

Hello ....

96 viewers and just 3 responses!
It looks that North Dakotans so friendly people!
I wish I could change that image about the community during my first three months; or I have to reconsider moving to much diverse city.

dutchinnd & ssgoodman thank you so much for your inputs, I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks for of you guys and God Bless you .

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM

87 posts, read 332,412 times
Default Diversity

Don't be fooled by the statistics relating to diversity. Diversity does not necessarily mean that you'll be welcomed. Some of the most "diverse" areas of the country are also some of the most segregated. It sounds contradictory but let me explain. Areas may have diverse groups of people, however within that area the people often live and work in smaller sections or neighborhoods that almost appear to be segregated. In cities with large African-American populations you will not find members of that group living more or less evenly throughout the city - they will be highly concentrated in several areas and few will reside in any of the surrounding suburbs.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:45 AM

Thank you so much for your input

Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 AM

38 posts, read 198,847 times
Hi Sweet November,

I view almost all these posts because I'm also moving to North Dakota. So I add to the "views". But I'm afraid I can't help with with any info you are looking for about Fargo because I've never lived there.
My guess is that if you got along okay with the US Military people in Iraq, then you should do just fine in Fargo.

Good Luck, and if you get over to the Dickinson side of the State, let me know.

Dave Norris
Soon to be moving to Dickinson, ND
<><

Old 05-03-2008, 07:50 AM

Default RE: davednorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;3653338
Hi Sweet November,

I view almost all these posts because I'm also moving to North Dakota. So I add to the "views". But I'm afraid I can't help with with any info you are looking for about Fargo because I've never lived there.
My guess is that if you got along okay with the US Military people in Iraq, then you should do just fine in Fargo.

Good Luck, and if you get over to the Dickinson side of the State, let me know.

Dave Norris
Soon to be moving to Dickinson, ND
<><
Dear davednorris, thanks for the "view", actually I can get most of the information that I've ask for in my post from the internet, I'm a computer Engineer and I know how to get what I'm looking for. I just wanted to ask the real people lived in the city, to talk to them and try to get a better idea about the community.
The web pages full with information and statistical, but you get to know the real people to know the feelings that can not be uploaded.

I just wondering what's the similarity between US Military people in Iraq and Fargo people?
I've worked with the Corps of Engineers and they are really wonderful folks, and I wish that I could have the chance to work with them again.

Regards,

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,596,865 times
SweetNovember, I can't tell you much about Fargo other than second hand information -- it's a cold, snowy plains city. I am a soldier though, and I had the opportunity to work with many Iraqis while deployed. Congratulations on your decision to move here. Good luck to you.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:41 AM

573 posts, read 1,447,815 times
I grew up in Fargo and it is a very conservative laid back area. Not much cultural diversity. I often describe it as the city time forgot---sorry but I have lived in alot of other places and it is behind the times---not always a bad thing. Good schools---low crime---nice people---not much cultural as in things to do. Not much to do really. Great medical care and cheap to live in. Very big work ethic area and family oriented. Horrible weather. Expect culture shock. I think it all depends on you but do not expect to fit right in or people to accept you right away as it will take time. You will be watched closely. I wish you luck and happiness in your move to America and I welcome you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo