U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 15,853 times
Default This is kinda odd, don'cha think?

I am in Zephyrhills, FL, and just may have an opportunity for a position with Microsoft in Fargo...

After reading this forum, I am much more open to the idea.

And should it become a reality, I still have a few questions.

I am still concerned about the COLD, I am born and raised in Florida....

Can I handle it? (the cold)

Should I at least get an "All Wheel Drive" Car?

People drive like idiots in the rain, I can't imagine snow or ice? How does that work?

Is there state income tax?

Is Microsoft liked? Disliked? Benign?

thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM

132 posts, read 393,109 times
Don't really know on the rest of the questions but:

1. If you're going to live in Fargo, there is absolutly no need to get an all wheel drive car - I would suggest a front wheel drive car though.

2. Its really, really, cold & windy. But you'll get (somewhat) used to it.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 PM

993 posts, read 620,114 times
You don't need an all wheel drive car, I have a little Pontiac Grand Am and it gets around just fine. As for driving, the first snow is always kind of interesting but after that it can snow 8 inches and the city hardly slows down at all. People here are pretty good about driving on snow.

There is a small state income tax in North Dakota.

People here are positive towards Microsoft, it was originally Great Plains Software and was a local business for 15 or so years. The former owner is well known and well thought of in Fargo, not only for how he turned Great Plains into a great local business but also for his work in helping to fix up the city's downtown.

As for the cold, that is something I think you just have to experience to know for sure. It is really only a nuisance and if you like or get into winter sports some even embrace the winter months.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM

325 posts, read 1,053,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I am in Zephyrhills, FL, and just may have an opportunity for a position with Microsoft in Fargo...

After reading this forum, I am much more open to the idea.

And should it become a reality, I still have a few questions.

I am still concerned about the COLD, I am born and raised in Florida....

Can I handle it? (the cold)

Should I at least get an "All Wheel Drive" Car?

People drive like idiots in the rain, I can't imagine snow or ice? How does that work?

Is there state income tax?

Is Microsoft liked? Disliked? Benign?

thanks!
Having lived in North Dakota and Minnesota for 50 years, I can tell you it can get very cold in the winter. Spurts last a few days, then climbs back into the near 0 and above. But, I've visited Florida a few times, and I have to tell you, with the really hot and humid weather, I kinda like North Dakota temps better. At least in North Dakota you can always put more cloths on when the temps dip. But, when I was visiting in Florida, you can take off only so many cloths, take a dip in a pool, or return to your AC. It can be nasty either place depending on your preference. But, hey! If your open to trying something new, and your young, I'd say why not? You never know what you really are looking for, unless you try..Sometimes I think that makes better sense than listening to someone tell you the good/bad about anyplace. Just an opinion...
You have people here that love and hate North Dakota, for whatever their reasons. It still has the lowest crime rate in the country. Schools graduate more HS students than anywhere else in the USA. Is it perfect? Heck! No place is perfect. I would recommend writing down the good/bad points of an area. If the good greatly outweigh the bad, thats where you should go, maybe.... Try your male/female intuition....

Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 AM

Smile Thanks!

That's all good info,

I would most likely be living outside the city, as I need property for my horses.(hobby farm), is the AWD still not needed? I would also have a truck to be able to pull the horse trailer. Assuming 4x4 there.

The prices are SOOO cheap... what costs 400k there, would be near 1 million here in Florida... I love the old farm houses, built in 1900 era.

I think I would like the change in temp., I am sick and tired of the HEAT, Bugs and hurricanes. I have heard there are bugs in ND, but they can not be as prehistorically large as the Florida ones mosquitoes.

I did list the pros and cons, and when I started the only CON was really the fact that it was Fargo...I am starting to think that is not so much a CON.

I have my phone interview today.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:09 PM

86 posts, read 276,928 times
Here is tax info for North Dakota (from retirement living .com):

Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 5% (food and prescription drugs exempt); 6% on lodging, 7% on alcoholic beverages. Cities or counties which have adopted home rule charters may levy additional sales and use taxes up to 2.5%.
Gasoline Tax: 23 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax: 23 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: 44 cents/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
Tax Rate Range: * Low - 2.1%; High - 5.54%
Income Brackets: Lowest - $31,850; Highest - $349,700
Number of Brackets: 5
Personal Exemptions: ** Single - $3,200; Married - $6,400; Dependents - $3,200. For tax year 2007 there is a new marriage income tax credit with a maximum limit of $300.
Standard Deduction: Federal amount
Medical/Dental Deduction: Full
Federal Income Tax Deduction: *None

Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 PM

86 posts, read 276,928 times
I believe the City of Fargo has a 1% sales tax added to the state 5%.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM

Thumbs up Thanks again. One more question :)

I have been looking over the city's website...

* - City of Fargo

I like it...

Again, probably won't live in the city..

Are there any flood plains to avoid when looking for housing?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-19-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: Fixed URL

Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 PM

3,653 posts, read 5,208,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I have been looking over the city's website...

* - City of Fargo

I like it...

Again, probably won't live in the city..

Are there any flood plains to avoid when looking for housing?
You mentioned flood plains....the Maple river is one area to avoid outside of Fargo southwest as it floods at times during the spring melt. There are other smaller rivers/streams...best to avoid getting your home right close to them in case of ice jamming or heavy rain caused high water. Best bet is to ask the seller or better yet stop by the county courhouse as there are flood plain maps avbl there I am sure.

Here is a link of interest from cass county government on flood plains and info on whom to contact, etc...

Cass County Government ND (http://www.casscountynd.gov/departments/Planning/Flooding.htm - broken link)

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 06-19-2008 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: update web link

Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 AM

50 posts, read 151,508 times
Thumbs up Flood Risks

This might be helpful. You can enter an address and get the flood risk that way. It's not official, but at least it gives a pretty good idea of whether or not the area is prone to flooding.

Floodsmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo