U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM

600 posts, read 1,107,571 times

Advertisements

I lived in a small town in the Red River Valley the first 17 years of my life. I have been through North Dakota countless times. I have friends in Minot, Langdon, Williston, Fargo and Bismarck and the whole state is boring and flat. Whoever is in charge of ND tourist garbage makes it look like the entire state is hilly and fun when the southwest corner is the only part where it is like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:53 PM

979 posts, read 3,349,770 times
I'm guessing "gearedtowardssalad" hasn't really experienced or traveled much in North Dakota as he/she would pretend...otherwise he/she would know that South Western North Dakota is NOT the only place that is hilly. The entire western half of the state has rolling hills... and the Badlands the he/she is talking about, pretty much extend from south western nd all the way up to the north western part of the state...which is why their are TWO units to Theodore Roosevelt National Park...one in the south and the other in the north. Also...with the Missouir River entering the state in NW North Dakota at Williston and working its way south east and then south through Bismarck, everyone who has lived, traveled and experienced North Dakota, knows that entire areas surrounding the Missouri river is nothing but cliffs, bluffs, valleys and hills. Ever driven through Valley City, Minot, Jamestown , Mandan, Bismarck or Williston? All of these towns are built in, on, below and above hills. Best come back and take another drive through North Dakota "gearedtowardssalad".
In reading a few other comments posted by "gearedtowardssalad"...it is obvious this person left North Dakota many many years ago, and hasn't really lived in North Dakota...just visited...this person claims to have lived in a small town in the Red River for the first 17 years, but on another post "hating on North Dakota"...the person claims to have lived here 18months before their family moved to Washington state...I'm not sure "gearedtowardssalad"... how can anyone take your comments too seriously when your life story doesn't even match from post to post.

Last edited by Roloff1976; 05-21-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: adding another comment

Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,474 times
Default OfredO

Valley City North Dakota has hills in it . It is not good to generalize.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 PM

137 posts, read 382,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
I'm guessing "gearedtowardssalad" hasn't really experienced or traveled much in North Dakota as he/she would pretend...otherwise he/she would know that South Western North Dakota is NOT the only place that is hilly. The entire western half of the state has rolling hills... and the Badlands the he/she is talking about, pretty much extend from south western nd all the way up to the north western part of the state...which is why their are TWO units to Theodore Roosevelt National Park...one in the south and the other in the north. Also...with the Missouir River entering the state in NW North Dakota at Williston and working its way south east and then south through Bismarck, everyone who has lived, traveled and experienced North Dakota, knows that entire areas surrounding the Missouri river is nothing but cliffs, bluffs, valleys and hills. Ever driven through Valley City, Minot, Jamestown , Mandan, Bismarck or Williston? All of these towns are built in, on, below and above hills. Best come back and take another drive through North Dakota "gearedtowardssalad".
In reading a few other comments posted by "gearedtowardssalad"...it is obvious this person left North Dakota many many years ago, and hasn't really lived in North Dakota...just visited...this person claims to have lived in a small town in the Red River for the first 17 years, but on another post "hating on North Dakota"...the person claims to have lived here 18months before their family moved to Washington state...I'm not sure "gearedtowardssalad"... how can anyone take your comments too seriously when your life story doesn't even match from post to post.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM

979 posts, read 3,349,770 times
My mistake..."gearedtowardssalad" was quoting another poster who had lived in ND 18 months...but I still stand by my observations of "gearedtowardssalad"... he/she doesn't know North Dakota. I also want to give kudos' to the Northern and North East ND areas that are home to the beautiful forested Turtle Mountains and the Pembina gorge area. Another area of ND that gets little attention, but can rival any other state for it beauty and scenery.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:08 PM

600 posts, read 1,107,571 times
If drinking, oil and country music is your thing, by all means, dig in.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,531 times
Oil? In Fargo? If that's the case, I'm going to start drilling in my back yard.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM

23 posts, read 92,510 times
As a former North Dakota teen-ager I can say that Alcohol is going to be your main concern. The semi-joke is 'it's the only thing to do after 6pm on a weekend" for the teenagers. There is some true to that as really the only places to go hang out with your friends as a teenager is the poolhall down town. In fact, alcoholism in North Dakota is fairly prevalent, and one just needs to point to UND as an example of party/alcoholism run amok (the college made "Playboy"s or "Maxium"s top 25 list of party colleges in the US the last few years running. Don't remember offhand.)

Pot is going to be too expensive for your kids if they don't have a job, and even then they are probably not going to be buying their own as the Fargo Police website states the price of Pot in the area (and the quality) is very poor at $60 for an 1/8th. From what I understand from other threads on this subject, that is REALLY expensive compared to anywhere closer to the coasts and most teenagers are going to think really long and hard before throwing down $60 for a few joints.

To be honest, the kids have a very high chance of being raise safely and without incident, but be warned as statistics say they will most likely leave Fargo, never to return once they of age.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 AM

350 posts, read 470,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Please don't over exaggerate the population of those cities as being "large". Fargo is the only semi-large city in ND at 100,000 people. The others are no bigger than 50,000.
A lot of people in ND have never lived out of state, and to them those cities are "the big city." I grew up in Bottineau, a town of 2,200 people, so a city like Fargo with 100,000+ population is huge to me. It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 PM

203 posts, read 526,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
If drinking, oil and country music is your thing, by all means, dig in.

Sounds good to me. I'm from West Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or