Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we are considering a job opportunity in your great state. Having lived in the midwest all my life, the weather is not a concern. In fact, I couldn't imagine living without 4 true seasons. My one concern is the topography. Having grown up in the bluffs of west-central Wisconsin, sledding was a popular past-time. Is there anywhere in the Fargo area where that would be possible for my kids?
Also, I know the schools are all pretty excellent there so I'm not worried too much about which district we end up in. But, I would prefer to live in a small neighborhood area where we can walk to local parks and stores. We are planning on renting for a while and need 4 bedrooms. Are there any links where I can look for a house rental in such an area? I've checked craigslist and In-Forum. Is there anywhere else? We would want to stay within a half hour commute from southern Fargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM

37 posts, read 156,306 times
There is a **** by the river close to downtown that has sledding, they also have a warming house. If you are living in Fargo your within a half hour commute from anywhere in Fargo. I will send you an IM about neighborhoods.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
As Fargobob was trying to say .... levee.... as cant type the other more common word or it is starred out. We now have a big sledding hill in Grand Forks too after our levee system was completed.. Other than man-made hill along the flood control system that is it.

Dan

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 156,306 times
I grew up here and that is what we called it I guess it isn't PC to call it that anymore. So I should have said Man(or woman)-Made Hill that is used to keep the river from flooding the city. I think the word that was **** out to be * out would have to be spelled with a y. Thanks for the help Dan.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:10 PM

180 posts, read 634,566 times
Fargo actually completely lacks topography.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
Looks like d-i-k-e works.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 AM

85 posts, read 414,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Fargo actually completely lacks topography.
That's kinda like saying a place lacks weather. What Fargo lacks is contour lines on its topographic map.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
Thanks for the replies. I thought it was pretty flat. Oh well, I lived in central MN for a few years, that was pretty flat too. How far do you have to travel east or west to drive thru some hills? There were some beautiful pictures of some hilly areas on the picture thread.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,487 times
Thumbs down wind in ND

Why is it so windy around the buttes south of Bismarck?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,363 times
I posted alot of pics on the picture thread, most of them were in the Missouri river valley between Bismarck and Washburn. As far as Fargo, no topography. Just a gentle slope of the valley towards the river. Drop a bag of marbles in Valley City and they will roll straight to the red river unless an ant hill gets in the way. The sledding on the **** in Fargo isn't much fun if your used to regular hills. You can find some nice places in Valley City just west of Fargo or towards Detroit Lakes east of Fargo. As far as the wind, ND is just plain windy. It's not just around the buttes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo