U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:15 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa11111 View Post
Thank you again, everyone, for your responses! I appreciate it.

I have another question, this time about pets in Fargo. We have a 70 lb labrador. She's an indoor dog (ie, doesn't sleep outside, lives primarily in the house). She likes when it snows in the winter. She goes outside and simply goes nuts. However, I'm worried that it might get too cold in Fargo; I'm worried her feet my freeze. Do people put shoes on their dogs when it's below zero? How does that work? She would only be out to do her business, but I'm just afraid it might be too cold for her to go out without clothes. Am I crazy?
We had a 18 lb maltese-toy poodle mix and we did have little booties and a dog sweater for her when we would do walks in very cold weather....but most of the time the booties and coast just bothered her. But for just going out to the bathroom and running in back in the house...I would not worry about it...our smaller dog did just fine. Every so often one paw would get cold for her and she would hold it up as she would come in....but she has been in 6 ND/nrn MN winters and she has been fine. She is an indoor dog too.

Dan
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM

112 posts, read 450,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa11111 View Post
Thank you again, everyone, for your responses! I appreciate it.

I have another question, this time about pets in Fargo. We have a 70 lb labrador. She's an indoor dog (ie, doesn't sleep outside, lives primarily in the house). She likes when it snows in the winter. She goes outside and simply goes nuts. However, I'm worried that it might get too cold in Fargo; I'm worried her feet my freeze. Do people put shoes on their dogs when it's below zero? How does that work? She would only be out to do her business, but I'm just afraid it might be too cold for her to go out without clothes. Am I crazy?
Ever since we moved down here to Tennessee and gotten a dog, I've wondered about just how different it'd be if we were still in ND during the winter.

My thoughts though...would be that going in and out couldn't do any harm. It's only what...2 minutes at most?? That won't create damage...it'll be cold but...that's about it.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,209 times
The dog will be fine. My folks have had numerous dogs over the years (all outdoor dogs) and never had a problem with freezing feet or anything. A heatlamp and straw in the doghouse gives them a warm retreat, but they'll run around in below zero weather without any problems. (this also includes a Bassett Hound, which is, IMHO, not a very good winter dog)

Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,065,314 times
My old neighbors had two labs and they spent a lot of time outside and never had to wear anything. I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if the dog is staying inside for most of the time.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,144 times
I will be relocating to Fargo, what part of the area has the best public schools? I have one in the 10th, 9th and kindergarten.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
I would say that all of the larger three school districts (Fargo, Moorhead, and West Fargo) overall have very good reputations. At the moment, there are reports that there are morale issues within the West Fargo Schools, but that may/may not impact your child's learning in the classroom.
It all depends on what you're expecting of a school. There is a public perception that some elementary schools are "better" than others, but that is often a matter of socioeconomic status of the neighborhood. Even in a "better" neighborhood school you have higher or lower performing teachers which can make all the difference in the classroom experience. My kids are in the Fargo Public Schools (Clara Barton/Hawthorne Elementary and Carl Ben Eielson Middle School) and overall we've been pleased. For us the support of gifted students and the orchestra program matter; we're less concerned w/ athletics.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,807 times
I realize this thread is 7 years old, but it comes up pretty high in search results still, so I thought I would add my two cents.

There really isn't a bad place to live in the Fargo metro area. West Fargo has been expanding at an amazing rate, the school district size now rivals Fargo. Most of the new construction is in West Fargo or southern Fargo, which means nicer homes but high specials. If you are not familiar with special taxes, think of them like property taxes that can be paid all at once or over a period of time. Moorhead has some nice areas too, but the city doesn't have as much money as Fargo, so it tends to lag behind a little.

We have lived in the Eagle Run neighborhood in West Fargo for ten years now, and love it. Low crime, lots of parks, good schools, lots of families. I think Eagle Run or any of the West Fargo neighborhoods south of I-94 are excellent. Southern Fargo neighborhoods near Davies High School are also good. If you don't mind a little more driving, Horace and Mapleton are both turning into nice bedroom communities.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM

90 posts, read 221,470 times
I have lived in Fargo for 20 of my 26 years.
There really isn't any "bad" areas.. try to avoid the area by Scheels All Sports (although it isn't "bad", but worse than the best), and try to avoid Moorhead, again, not bad, but there's better.

I will say this now, having a dog makes it harder, not hard, but harder to rent. I just got a dog and we are moving into a new apartment next month (Brandt Place).
There are plenty of places to live.
AVOID GOLDMARK RENTAL MANAGEMENT. MY BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE.
Try and stick west of 45th street south. That's the newest and most booming area, especially West Fargo. Very close to restaurants, shopping, and schools. Very nice places.

If you wanted to live closer to the airport, you would be near the more "older" part of town, and right next to NDSU (drunk college students everywhere), because it is on the very north end of Fargo.

There are also plenty of townhomes for rent.

Message me if you need any more info.
Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or