U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM

212 posts, read 984,308 times

Advertisements

Okay, if there aren't similar historic areas in Moorhead, I'm wondering what else there is in or near (within 15 miles of) Moorhead. What are the desirable neighborhoods, towns--new or old--on Minnesota's side of the river?

If a person wanted to buy wooded property and build, what are the choice locations--and what makes them desirable? I can find technical answers online, but I'd prefer real people's perspectives.

Also, how does a person afford the property taxes in Fargo after retirement? (We've got a good 20+ years to go, but we prefer to think about it now and plan ahead.) I guess that's one reason why I like Minnesota's way of doing things--tax the income so that people can still afford their homes years later, after they retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM

673 posts, read 3,696,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Is there an area in each of the towns (F-M) that has well-kept historic homes? We'd like to move into an established neighborhood--but not one that is run-down. We envision large, older homes (early 1900s) with nice lawns and big trees--where the owners take pride in their homes and keep up with them inside and out. Would such homes be in the middle of the flood zone?

We've done the new house thing already. My spouse designs homes (for a living)! The problem with building new is that the lots generally have no trees, people tend to max out their budget with the house and don't leave any money for landscaping and/or upkeep, and when they sell, the next owners tend to care even less. That's been our experience anyway--and it's really frustrating to end up with neighboring homes that reduce the value of your own.

We'd love something like the Summit Ave area in St Paul--but at a fraction of the cost! Maybe a 2200 s.f. home for around $300,000?

Also--I looked at the arts calendar and saw lots of plays. This is good! How about concerts? Are there many big name concerts? (Classic rock, folk, jazz, blues...)

I would say the neighborhood you are looking for is South 4th area in Fargo from about 3rd avenue south to 13th avenue south. It has Fargo's only hill and they do have some large historic homes in that area.

Fargo doesnt have alot of historic architecture but South 4th and South 6th would be good choices if you want a large older home.

The area also has a very large park Island Park adjacent to it which is a very well-kept park. Also, the performing arts center in Fargo is located on South
4th also.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,124 times
Default Both very nice towns

I've lived in Fargo and Moorhead. I'm on the Moorhead side now because I found a great house. I was born in Minnesota, and I just like being a Minnesotan. I root for Minnesota teams and identify with the state so thats my bias.

Both towns are friendly, but I like Moorhead's small town feel, my small church, and the easy shopping.

In terms of Government, Moorhead's council seems to be closer to the people. Fargo has 5 commissioners who often seem to sideline citizen's concerns (witness the Frienship park issue going on right now).

Moorhead has great schools, with recently spent $65M building new schools and completely renovating older buildings. Teachers seem to be paid better in Minnesota. Fargo also has good schools.

In terms of political clout, Fargo has it. The largest city in ND, and 2 very powerful U.S. Senators really know how to bring home the bacon. They get slathered with federal projects; Moorhead doesn't get such attention. Moorhead is a scrappy city though, with a lot of heart, and they find ways to get things done.
Moorhead is probably the more multicultural city, and seems committed to celebrating diversity. The schools have a spanish language immersion program; there's a Scandinavian fest thats been going on for 30 years.

In Moorhead, High School hockey is a big deal. The Moorhead Spuds hockey team gets a lot of support, and is an elite program recognized as one of the best in the state (and Minnesota is a hockey state).

Both cities are very safe. I'd have to see the stats that say Fargo is the slightly safer city in order to believe that; there's probably some categories where either city may be lower than the other. But as a metro area, we've gotta be the safest in the U.S. I feel very safe in Moorhead.

If you're moving to Fargo-Moorhead, I would say look at both cities; certainly don't overlook Moorhead. Its a great town. But then again, so is Fargo. You won't go wrong living in either city. Both communities have a lot of pride and spirit.

Last edited by VoltageSpike; 02-16-2007 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: after thoughts...

Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM

85 posts, read 375,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Okay, if there aren't similar historic areas in Moorhead, I'm wondering what else there is in or near (within 15 miles of) Moorhead. What are the desirable neighborhoods, towns--new or old--on Minnesota's side of the river?

If a person wanted to buy wooded property and build, what are the choice locations--and what makes them desirable? I can find technical answers online, but I'd prefer real people's perspectives.
The area of Fargo with the historic homes that the other posters referred to is the same area I was referring to. I just drove down 8th St yesterday and there are some really nice old houses there. There's nothing like that in Moorhead.

As for other areas in Minnesota, you won't find what you're looking for in Dilworth or Glyndon. You'll have better luck in Moorhead. Anything farther east than Glyndon is getting to be a long commute.

One area you might want to look at is Oakport, which is on the north side of Moorhead. It's not within Moorhead city limits, but I think that within the next few years it is suppose to be annexed into Moorhead. It's a nice rural setting near the river with trees and large lots. It's not historic. The homes are not from the early 1900s, but it's not a new development either.

One negative about Oakport might be that it's a bit isolated from the rest of the city. There really isn't anything within walking distance. There's a gas station convenience store up there, but that's about it. It's a pretty easy drive into the city, though. It's actually closer to north Fargo. The main negative about Oakport would be that it is just about the worst area for flooding. There is a plan, though, to build a
d i k e (I guess we're not suppose to say that word on here) around it. Here's an example of a house for sale in Oakport:
http://www.homeshq.net/index.cfm?page=listing.cfm&list_number=06-6043 (broken link)

Last edited by jwmn; 02-17-2007 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Default biking and walking

Sounds like there is a consensus about where the beautiful older homes are. At realtor.com, I found one that is for sale on 8th Street, and another on 9th Street. We're checking into them.

Can someone please tell me if it is possible to bike (pedal--not motor) or walk from Fargo to Moorhead? Is the area bicycle friendly? Are there biking paths in and around town? I know it might be a bit of a trek, but we prefer to save the environment and get some exercise at the same time, whenever possible (weather permitting). I went to mapquest and checked the distance from the houses on 8th and 9th to Moorhead (where job is located), and it looks like the only way over the river is I-94. Tell me it ain't so!

Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM

673 posts, read 3,696,592 times
Default 1st avenue and Main street have bridges from Fargo to Moorhead

Fargo has two bridges from downtown Fargo to downtown Moorhead.

Both the 1st avenue bridge and Main avenue bridge over the Red River have sidewalks that cross the Red River. The Main Avenue bridge has the widest sidewalks and has an overlook with benches also right in the middle of it.

The bridge seems to be a few hundred feet to cross it, its not a very long bridge.

Basically from 9th street to get to Moorhead. You would go North on 9th and go east 7 blocks on Main Street in Fargo which then goes over the pedestrian/motor bridge into Moorhead. Its about one mile from 9th/Main to Center Avenue in Moorhead

On the first street when you get to Moorhead is two very nice coffee shops and a shopping center.

Basically from 9th/Main in Fargo a vast majority of the amenities go from Broadway/Main (3 blocks from 9th) to 4th avenue north and Broadway.

Island Park runs from 4th street to 7th street and is only two blocks from 9th street, its a very nice and clean park with very good landscaping. Also their is a performing arts center on 4th street.

Downtown Fargo is very quaint and quiet with several nice coffeeshops and restaurants. Usually the stores in Downtown Fargo are not crowded at all, in fact a majority of the places have less then a dozen people at any one time.

The closest shopping area from 9th street south is on University from 13th to 17th avenue south.

13th avenue south is basically a retail corridor from 25th street (1.5 miles from 9th) all the way to west Fargo.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM

85 posts, read 375,349 times
There are actually three bridges downtown: Main Ave, First Ave, and NP Ave. The Main Ave bridge is new and is more friendly to pedestrian/bicycle traffic. I think there are also a few pedestrian/bicycle bridges across the river. There may be one at Island Park, which would make your bike trip shorter.
There are bike paths near the river. Here's a link to a map of Fargo-Moorhead bike paths, it's a pdf file:
http://www.fmmetrocog.org/maps/files/Metropolitan%20Area%20Bikeways%202006.pdf (broken link)

Also, a good site to look for homes is http://www.homeshq.net
This site basically has the same homes as realtor.com, but it's specific to the Fargo-Moorhead area. It offers different search options and usually more pictures.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmn View Post
There are actually three bridges downtown: Main Ave, First Ave, and NP Ave. The Main Ave bridge is new and is more friendly to pedestrian/bicycle traffic. I think there are also a few pedestrian/bicycle bridges across the river. There may be one at Island Park, which would make your bike trip shorter.
There are bike paths near the river. Here's a link to a map of Fargo-Moorhead bike paths, it's a pdf file:
http://www.fmmetrocog.org/maps/files/Metropolitan%20Area%20Bikeways%202006.pdf (broken link)

Also, a good site to look for homes is http://www.homeshq.net
This site basically has the same homes as realtor.com, but it's specific to the Fargo-Moorhead area. It offers different search options and usually more pictures.
Hey, thanks! Homeshq is a great site!! Lots of photos, which I really appreciate.

I haven't checked the bike path map yet--it's next on my list of things to do.

Does anyone know if there's a Newcomers (or similar type) Club in F-M? When we've moved in the past, we found Newcomers to be a great way to meet people with similar interests. We joined a card club, cooking club, and movie club through Newcomers. I did a quick online search for Newcomers Club in F-M and only found "Mom's Clubs" in the area--presumably for moms with young kids (mine are older). Since so many of you have recently moved to the F-M area, I thought maybe you'd know if Newcomers exists up there.

I'm getting pretty pumped about moving up there!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 31,114 times
I live in Moorhead, work in Fargo. No problem with state taxes and so on. The 2 communities are exceptionally well integrated for twin cities. The area in Fargo from downtown south to 13th Avenue, mentioned in a previous post, is the somewhat older area (built in the late nineteenth, mostly early 20th -- having lived in older towns, all of F-M seems fairly new to me). I work at Prairie Public, the local public broadcasting outfit, and a lot of my colleagues live in that area. Near north, running up to NDSU, has some nice houses.

I moved here from Lincoln, NE, after having lived in St. Louis, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and Champaign-Urbana, IL. When I first got here, I didn't see much difference between Fargo and Moorhead, as far as neighborhoods and so on. The differences become apparent after a while, but in truth they are not that distinct. My wife and I picked a house in Moorhead, a few blocks south of MSUM and east of the Concordia athletic field. It looks like pretty unexceptional 50's and 60's construction, but I'll have to say our house inside is really nice, interesting features, great windows (important here).

Another place seen as desirable locally is river side -- but you have to pay attention to elevation because of high water springs that are coming more commonly. More people are living over in the lakes area east of here and driving in every day. Not for me, I like being able to ride my bike to work (very easy in this flat town, and some nice bike paths here and there).

My wife was adjunct faculty at MSUM for a while. We know some nice people there, it seems to be a generally pleasant place to work (you know how some campuses can have a difficult ambience?).

We moved here in '99, with two school age children. The schools on either side of the river are pretty good. We were disappointed in their provisions for "gifted and talented" students. Moorhead has a Spanish immersion program that we now wish we'd put our youngest into (our older one was already past the entry point).

The Fargo-Moorhead area has changed quite a bit in the few years I've been here in terms of more sophisticated restaurants and retail and so on. It's been a great music and theatre town, for its size, for quite a while.

One thing -- I've known people who moved here who found the predominant culture wonderful, but others who found it hard to take. 93% of the people here are from here, and of mostly Scandinavian heritage (further west in ND it's mostly German-from Russia, which is actually the biggest ethnic group in the state). It does make for a certain feel to relations with people, which, as I say, some like and some don't.

There are enough faculty at the colleges in town to allow them to have a sort of separate social circle, especially among those who are not native to the area (a lot of faculty, too, are from the area).

If you come to check out the place, you're welcome to come up and chat a bit. The Prairie Public building is downtown, next to the Radisson (tallest building in town). I run the radio network, on the 3rd floor.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 31,114 times
You asked about biking -- I bike to work most days I can (the ones where I'm not drafted into transporting my offspring about). The longer I've lived here, the further into cold weather I've extended my biking. I'll now bike down to zero fahrenheit. The main problem, once you've figured out how to dress warmly enough, is ice. This year I broke down and bought studded tires, which I have to say work great.

It'd be an easy ride from the south 8th-9th street neighborhood in Fargo to MSUM. In the summer there are bike/pedestrian bridges in place, one by the old dam just south of the Main Avenue bridge, by downtown, the other one further south from Fargo's Lindenwood park to Moorhead's Gooseberry. In the winter, you'd ride up to Main Avenue and cross there -- if you had plenty of time, you could ride along the riverside bike path, which takes you right on to the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or