U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times

Advertisements

This from Grand Forks Dec 08....but similar to Fargo. Fairly common event....not every week for a few times a year.

Heavy Blizzard Strikes Grand Forks! Snow Storm! Plows! Cars stuck in the snow! WDAZ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:42 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,439,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Nice video..... love winter and wish it would come soon. We get those a few times a winter....
A blizzard can be fun, but I don't like the 4 to 5 months of winter. Even in IA winter is too long.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 5,739,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
A blizzard can be fun, but I don't like the 4 to 5 months of winter. Even in IA winter is too long.
The nice thing is it clears the rift raft off the medians

Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
I'm considering moving to Fargo as I just received an offer from Sanford Health System. We are 22 and enjoy doing outdoor sports, eating at new restaurants, and travelling. Any input on how we might enjoy livign in Fargo? We are coming from Pittsburgh so it will definitely be a change, I'm just wondering how much..

Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,739,554 times
I’m sure I’m not alone in saying this, but Fargo might have more restaurants/bars per capita vs. anywhere else in the nation.

In terms of outdoor recreation the area is a bore. There’s a reason why people drive the 50 or so miles to the lakes area of Minnesota or trek off to the western part of the state. I guess I have a different idea of outdoor recreation.

It’s hard to say if you will like it or not. Things are different in Fargo. The downtown area is starting to become overrun with hipsters. I like the downtown revitaliztion, but I don’t like hipster scum.

I moved to Bismarck earlier in the year as Fargo was just the wrong fit. I’m sure that people with disagree, but be prepared for a bit of culture shock both good and bad.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:23 PM

25 posts, read 41,068 times
Sanford is about a year and a half away from opening it's new campus...you will like that.

Everything you can't find here in Fargo, you will find in Minnesota!
The twin cities is about 3 hours drive from here and Minnesota lakes country is only about a 45 min. drive...this is where everyone has their summer cabins. The lakes are gorgeous in Minnesota!

After you have checked out the lakes, take a trip to northern and eastern Minnesota especially the drive on north shore along Lake Superior, some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. (Just google gooseberry falls and north shore MN and you will see pictures and get my point, kind of has a Maine feel to it), but this is a good 4-5 hr drive from Fargo but worth the trip for you get to see the heart of northern Minnesota all the way there! Duluth is over there as well, you won't regret it.

Head out to western North Dakota and there you will find the breathtaking badlands and Theodore Roosevelt National Park, nothing like you have ever seen before!

Less crime here and you won't have to put up with rude people and long commutes...it's a laid back midwestern town.

The winters are brutal here, yes colder than Pittsburgh, get by those and you will be just fine!

Old 07-01-2015, 03:29 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,970,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekhuse View Post
I'm considering moving to Fargo as I just received an offer from Sanford Health System. We are 22 and enjoy doing outdoor sports, eating at new restaurants, and travelling. Any input on how we might enjoy livign in Fargo? We are coming from Pittsburgh so it will definitely be a change, I'm just wondering how much..
See if you can take a week of time to travel here and see what you think of the place. Honestly, it's pretty bland. The land is almost perfectly flat. The winters can be long and cold (you already know that). The summers are pretty mild. The Fargo-Moorhead area seems to be thriving with southwestern Fargo experiencing almost explosive growth and development. Most big box stores and major restaurant chains have a presence here.

Although the state is heavily Christian, most people keep religion to themselves and it won't be "in your face" like you might expect in, say, the deep South. For the most part, people keep religion and politics to themselves. The state's political climate is Republican, but you won't get the sense that you're living in a state where the people desperately want to secede from the Union. It's not nutty like my impression of what Texas is like. The Fargo-Moorhead area is not as lilly-white as you might think, either. The region has a surprisingly large number of West African immigrants. (Not African-Americans whose families have been in the United States for decades. I mean real Africans who were born in Africa and immigrated to the United States.)

The economy is pretty healthy with the region having plenty of job openings for retail service jobs, blue collar jobs, and skilled trades jobs. Coincidentally, home values are much higher than what you might anticipate for a town of this size located in the middle of nowhere. Also, the area has seen an explosion in the number of hotels being constructed. The area is also home to three colleges, one of which is fairly significant (North Dakota State University, with about 15,000 students.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo