U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,601,930 times

Advertisements

What kind of city is Fargo? Are there things to do? It seems to have a low unemployment rate. Where do people work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,594,125 times
I like Fargo a lot.... I've been there a few times...
Fargo, North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's a good link to see the basics on Fargo.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM

253 posts, read 1,109,040 times
MeritCare is the biggest employer, but they're in a hiring freeze. There's few universities that employ a lot of people (the second-largest one is in a hiring freeze). We got a Microsoft campus, too and there's another smaller software company called Alien. I think there's a Bobcat factory.
JobsHQ | Your headquarters for hundreds of local jobs - including newspaper listings from four states - MN, ND, SD, WI. will give you an idea of what's available.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM

409 posts, read 863,274 times
Fargo is a great area. I grew up in Bismarck and have lived in Fargo for 5 years now. There is always something to do from entertainment (3 major theaters) a great mall, and the bars are open until 2 am.
The city is very clean and there isn't much for crime. The standard of living is also very low there...therefore income may be lower, but housing, gas and groceries are VERY reasonable.
Not sure about the low unemployment rating..but the Fargo Forum (newspaper) is a great place to start looking for jobs.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 16,076 times
I have lived in Fargo area for 30 years, minus the 10 years in the south
Booorrrrriiiinnngg
nothing to do
the only jobs are lower end
or construction
don't try to start your own business, the community only supports those that have been in business for a long time
I hate fargo I'm going south
oh yea, people love to keep their nose in your business

Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM

1,787 posts, read 677,883 times
If you make someone angry, they will likely throw you in a wood chipper. I'm trying to remember where I heard that. I think it was in a documentary on Fargo.... on PBS.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 PM

30 posts, read 66,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
If you make someone angry, they will likely throw you in a wood chipper. I'm trying to remember where I heard that. I think it was in a documentary on Fargo.... on PBS.
That's Brainerd, MN, pal

Fargo is great. It's a beautiful city with a fairly forward thinking population for its size. Lots of good dining options, great sports venues, THE nicest people I have met in any of the 47 states I have visited.

I love Fargo, truly. It's where I want to retire, someday.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 PM

38 posts, read 84,190 times
Default On Fargo, ND - Moorhead, MN

The original OP was posted on in Dec of 2008, by xz2y. I wonder if the member is still interested in this thread? That said, I have lived in Fargo for twelve years and I'm not a native of North Dakota.

The wood chipper scene is found in the now famous movie 'Fargo' produced and directed by the equally well-known Cohen brothers of the Twin Cities. I had thought everyone knew that, but apparently not. See the movie and you won't for get the wood chipper scene.

There are two larger universities, one large Liberal Arts college and two junior college campuses. The student population is quite large. Fargo-Moorhead does not, as was noted above by 'Fischer_girl', have a " ... low standard of living ... " Much more accurately, Fargo-Moorhead has a high standard of living with low cost for it. In other words, you get more for your money in Fargo-Moorhead than most other metro areas of the USA.

As for "boring:" Boredom in Fargo is a subjective impression different from person to person. Some people need higher amounts of external stimulation because they lack the creativity or curiosity to create it for themselves. But that's true everywhere.

Fargo-Moorhead does NOT have the problems of so many other metro areas. Both cities are clean; they have no real slums or dangerous neighborhoods; they are well policed; they have no ethnic or racially segregated neighborhoods; they have no polluting, dirty or environmentally damaging industry or manufacturing. Fargo and Moorhead have an exceptionally clean and well run city governments. Fargo-Moorhead is also a regional commercial center.

Fargo has bitter cold winters with moderate snowfall, but the city is built to take that. Now I personally have had enough of that, along with the hot, humid summers to want to move to a more moderate, temperate climate. Those of us who suffer from congestive heart failure, like me, should best look elsewhere for better weather and surely a longer life. BTW, 'MeritCare' no longer exists. A couple of years ago, Sanford Health of Sioux Falls, bought MeritCare, lock, stock and barrel. Sanford is now building a great, big new regional medical center on the south side of Fargo. You can look up Sanford Health and a lot of other stuff for Fargo or Moorhead on the web. Google is your friend.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM

1,787 posts, read 677,883 times

Winter in Fargo, North Dakota. - YouTube

Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,471,044 times
Nice video..... love winter and wish it would come soon. We get those a few times a winter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo