U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times

Advertisements

Pictures from the Fargo Forum our blizzard....

Photography |* INFORUM | Fargo, North Dakota - Moorhead, Minnesota (http://www.in-forum.com/photography/gallery.cfm?id=1435 - broken link)

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Awesome pictures, thanks Dan. I was on my way up to Williston when I decided in Sioux Falls to not go any further. The closed roads and intense cold made me rethink going up there. I'm on my way back to Chicago now.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 PM

624 posts, read 1,012,916 times
Default Too Much

I'm a Virginian that reads the ND forum a lot, and after seeing those blizzard photos, got the flu, chills and frostbite!

Was reading the weather for Minot on weather underground yesterday, wind chill got to -55, maybe that was last night (Sunday).

I don't think I would survive.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,866,345 times
Thanks, Dan, for the pictures. I just love blizzards! You can hole up and do whatever without any obligations, plus they're so great to look at from the inside!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
I'm a Virginian that reads the ND forum a lot, and after seeing those blizzard photos, got the flu, chills and frostbite!

Was reading the weather for Minot on weather underground yesterday, wind chill got to -55, maybe that was last night (Sunday).

I don't think I would survive.

It is important to realize you dont get these extreme conditions but maybe once or twice each winter season.... that is enough cold and wind to get the wind chill that low. So it's not like it is always this way. There are many days with bright sun crystal blue sky and light winds too in the winter. We have not heard of any loss of life nor any frostbite/cold weather injuries from this past storm so that is good news. Warnings and watches were out many days in advance and I know everyone was talking about it.

For anyone wanting to compare wind chills....it is important to note that in 2001 the wind chill formula was changed.... so if you here someone say I remember back xx years ago it was 80 below wind chilll by comparison to today it would be -55 or so...

Here is a old link that has a calculator for comparing what would be registered with old wind chill (prior to 2001) and what it is now.

New Wind Chill Announcement

Dan

Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Thanks for that link Dan. I'm wondering why the old formula shows the temperature going up after a 60mph wind. That doesn't make sense.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 PM

624 posts, read 1,012,916 times
Default Wind Chill, Old or New

Thanks Dan and High Plains..And to Dan for explaining how often that happens. (Frigid Weather)

Coldest weather I have ever experienced was about a week of -5 here in Virginia back sometime around 1970?

Just hope no one gets frostbite. I get the KNEX newsletter every day, and read the weather, and check out the photo of the day! Some of the most beautiful sunsets ever in your state!

Some of the biggest snowdrifts in your state too!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM

287 posts, read 967,045 times
Ok, so I was going to ask earlier, I'm just curious, what brought you all to North Dakota? Are you natives? Farmers? Peace and quiet? From Missouri here, and when I told the hubby you had over 100inches of snow, his jaw literally dropped. Does the ruggedness and tranquility outweigh hibernation? ;-)
I was curious of the inhabitants of the state with the least amount of threads!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:43 AM

418 posts, read 1,185,187 times
100 inches of snow is highly unusual, DaninEGF would have the actual seasonal averages.
For us--what brought us here was a tenure track job teaching American Literature in a good liberal arts college, which is difficult to find.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
Ok, so I was going to ask earlier, I'm just curious, what brought you all to North Dakota? Are you natives? Farmers? Peace and quiet? From Missouri here, and when I told the hubby you had over 100inches of snow, his jaw literally dropped. Does the ruggedness and tranquility outweigh hibernation? ;-)
I was curious of the inhabitants of the state with the least amount of threads!
We dont get nearly that amount of snow...on average (past 30 yrs) there is 25-30 in the southwest part of the state to 40-45 in the northeast. 1996-97 winter did see Fargo set a record with over 100 inches for a season....but that is a once in a lifetime thing. Mostly it is cold and dry during the winter.

I came up job-wise in weather forecasting and I am one of the lucky ones in that I love the cold and dislike the summer heat so it fits me fine. But the early europeans who come over did so for land and then settled into mostly farming.

dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or